PDA

View Full Version : Are hiking boots absolutely necessary for backpacking?

bisous
08-25-2016, 10:13 PM
DH and I disagree. He believes that they are necessary for preventing ankle sprains. I read a book that heavy boots probably CAUSE more ankle sprains than they prevent because they keep a person weighted down with a pack from being as nimble on their feet as they otherwise might. The issues is buying boots for DS1. He's soon to be 13 yo and about 100 pounds. He is growing SO fast that I really hate to invest in another pair of shoes, probably only worn once or twice before he moves into a different size. I'm trying to make the argument that his nike sneakers are probably sufficient and DH is not budging.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Philly Mom
08-25-2016, 10:20 PM
If he is wearing a heavy backpack, your DH is correct. I got a great pair at a second hand store. Look there.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

o_mom
08-25-2016, 10:32 PM
I think there are times you need them, but not really for ankle sprains. I use boots when there is potential for wet/mud deeper than a shoe. I have waterproof hiking shoes that are my first choice, but it is a pain to have to detour around small puddles and streams at times.

I will also tell you that one of our boy scouts did a 12 day trek at Philmont in sandals.

So... He needs good fitting shoes with good traction (so not tennis shoes - I agree with your DH there) and preferably waterproof, though I don't know your climate that well. To get those, you are probably close to the price of boots anyway. I think we spent around $70 the last time we got boots for the kids. They typically get a mid-hiker that is waterproof because they camp year-round and need them for snow and wet conditions.

SnuggleBuggles
08-25-2016, 10:37 PM
I wear trail running shoes. They offer enough support and traction control for the stuff I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StantonHyde
08-25-2016, 11:14 PM
I have seen people backpack in just about anything. If you can get away with trail running shoes (not regular running shoes) then do it! I need full on boots to support my feet and ankles. Try Sierra Trading Post for boots or trail shoes--great prices. Or REI outlet. If you are hiking in a place that can have scree/gravel then wearing low gaiters on the trail shoes is very helpful.

calebsmama03
08-25-2016, 11:46 PM
My nephew just spent 5 months hiking all 2200 miles of the Appalachian train in NB minimus (tennis shoes).

cuca_
08-26-2016, 08:24 AM
We just spent a few days hiking in National Parks this summer. Two of our kids used sneakers, and the rest wore hiking boots or trail running shoes. The sneakers worked okay, but were trashed by the end of our trip. We had packed more than one pair and that was a good thing because they sometimes got wet and muddy. Those of us using waterproof hiking boots/shoes were much more comfortable. So I say your DH is right. I got some really good deals on hiking shoes/boots on Amazon this summer.

cilantromapuche
08-26-2016, 08:52 AM
I have the range and prefer a lightweight hiking boot over traditional heavy hiking boots. The only time you need a heavier boot is if your pack is super heavy. If just hiking I would go with a keen (or salomon hiking boot).
In hiking glacier this summer we talked to an australian hiking in flip flops (we did an 18 mile hike)

trales
08-26-2016, 09:07 AM
I used to be in you husbands camp, but over the years I have changed my tune a lot. I reserve my hiking boots for only when I am carrying a heavy pack and am on super rough terrain and it really bad weather. I have a low hikers (salomon brand) that have a great sole, wonderful traction are super comfy and reasonably waterproof.

How long is he going for and how heavy is his back. Improperly broken in hiking boots would be a horrible, miserable, blister inducing affair. I used to take kids on 4 day backpacking trips through the adirondacks, they are much better off in well fitting shoes/ sneakers of any kind than new stiff not broken in hiking boots. New hiking boots = bad blisters and aching feet.

Mikey0709
08-26-2016, 09:27 AM
We are not fans of hiking boots - and prefer a LIGHTER weight show with good traction. I don't like the restriction of boots for myself - and my kids also need more flexibility.

We LOVE the traction of Merrell Jungle mocs (some people don't prefer slip on - but i think they are ideal for flexibility) , and I would also recommend any Keens.

AnnieW625
08-26-2016, 10:12 AM
There are so many factors here. IMHO if he has small feet for a 13 yr. old like a 7 or 8 then I would hesitant to buy a pair of hiking boots, but if he is larger size 10 then his foot might be close to fully grown (can you ask th pediatrician how much you think his foot is going to grow?). If it was a full multi day backpacking trip with a large pack I would most likely go with boots and I would start breaking them in now on local trails. If it is a bunch of day hikes in easy terrain then I am fine with regular supportive athletic shoes that have good traction.

We just got back from Kolob Canyon (NE Zion) and Bryce Canyon and did really reasonable less than 2 mile hikes without hiking boots. If DH and I would've been on our own we would've gone on longer hikes with more climbing and we would've worn out hiking boots. I wore my Asics GT 1000 running shoes (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00OU9CFXM/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472220062&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=asics+gt+1000+shoes+women&dpPl=1&dpID=517ESdDv9jL&ref=plSrch) and was fine, DH wore Merrill trail shoes similar to these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0058YT9A0/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1472220162&sr=8-3&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=merrell+trail+shoes+men&dpPl=1&dpID=41lOQzrtwiL&ref=plSrch), Dd1 wore New Balance sneakers, and Dd2 wore knock off Keens from Target. DH, Dd1, and I also wore wool socks which helped. We tried to convince Dd2 to wear socks and her Nike sneakers, but she said she was fine in her shoes. None of us got any blisters. Since we didn't know exactly how much hiking we would be doing (my DDs were newbies to hiking) I didn't bring my boots and I was really surprised how well my Asics worked. If we continue to hike the same kind trails on a regular basis then I will get some trail running shoes for myself. I do see your point about not wanting to buy specific hiking shoes until feet are fully grown so honestly my kids will continue to wear sneakers for hiking, but we really don't plan to do any kind of backpacking that would require any type of really heavy hiking boot.

KpbS
08-26-2016, 12:02 PM
It really depends on how far your hike is and what the trail is like. Lots of rocks? Very uneven ground? If so, boots would probably be best. Easy dirt path with not much elevation change? Tennis shoes or trail running shoes are sufficient.

bisous
08-26-2016, 12:17 PM
Thank you so much for your replies!

Here's some more specifics about the hike.

It is about 6 miles to the base camp, so 6 miles with about a 10 pound pack. The location is the Eastern Sierras. I think precipitation is possible but it shouldn't be too wet.

DS1 is a Boy Scout, so he will be hiking and doing other outdoor activities. But his feet grow fast, and usually in spurts.

I'm thinking based on what's written here that a flexible shoe but with a good grip might be a good option. Would his hike length or pack size change this recommendation in your opinion?

AnnieW625
08-26-2016, 12:48 PM
I would want at least something like the Merrill I linked, but I would look for hiking boots on sale; years ago I bought a pair of Vasque hiking boots at an end of season sale at Sport Chalet for $75; I think they were originally $150 to $180. I would also recommend these hiking socks from Cabelas (http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-ULTIMATE-WOOL-LIGHTWEIGHT-HIKE-SOCKS/1915739.uts?productVariantId=4019397&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04042511&rid=20&gclid=CPn9nq3D384CFRKRfgodlsEGbQ&gclsrc=aw.ds). I wore these last week and I was surprised how much I liked them as my feet are usually really hot in socks. DH has worn these for years for hunting and hiking and is happy with them.

bisous
08-26-2016, 01:21 PM
I would want at least something like the Merrill I linked, but I would look for hiking boots on sale; years ago I bought a pair of Vasque hiking boots at an end of season sale at Sport Chalet for $75; I think they were originally $150 to $180. I would also recommend these hiking socks from Cabelas (http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-ULTIMATE-WOOL-LIGHTWEIGHT-HIKE-SOCKS/1915739.uts?productVariantId=4019397&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04042511&rid=20&gclid=CPn9nq3D384CFRKRfgodlsEGbQ&gclsrc=aw.ds). I wore these last week and I was surprised how much I liked them as my feet are usually really hot in socks. DH has worn these for years for hunting and hiking and is happy with them.

Annie, nobody in my whole family has shoes that cost that much money! That may be a great deal but utterly impossible for our family. Surely poor people can hike too, lol.

AnnieW625
08-26-2016, 01:27 PM
Annie, nobody in my whole family has shoes that cost that much money! That may be a great deal but utterly impossible for our family. Surely poor people can hike too, lol.

Aren't adult sized Nikes between $50 and $75? We are not rich at either and that is what I pay for DH's Nikes at Nordstrom Rack as I refuse to pay full price; I would be estatic if I found them for less than $50. I bought my Asics off Amazon for $50, and they are usually $120 or so. I wait for old models or colors to be discontinued. I am in the hunt for a deal too. I am not much for buying used shoes, but you could try Play It Again Sports or an REI Garage Sale?

bisous
08-26-2016, 01:30 PM
Aren't adult sized Nikes between $50 and $75? We are not rich at either and that is what I pay for DH's Nikes at Nordstrom Rack as I refuse to pay full price. I bought my Asics off Amazon for $50, and they are usually $120 or so. I wait for old models or colors to be discontinued. I am in the hunt for a deal too. I am not much for buying used shoes, but you could try Play It Again Sports or an REI Garage Sale?

Not when you live next to the outlets and your neighbor gets 30% off the outlet and sale price. ;) We only buy pairs that are under $45 to start and then get the discount on top of that. Maybe some Nike's are the way to go? The other discount she gets is on Converse but those are NOT great for hiking!

ABO Mama
08-26-2016, 01:35 PM
For a six mile hike with a 10lb pack, I'd go with trail running shoes. That way they could be used for daily activities. My DS wears waterproof trail runners for most of the school year. Try looking at Nordstrom rack. What size shoe are you looking for?

P.s. I work outside and hike 5-6 miles 2x a week with a 10lb pack, and I wear running shoes. I'm hiking on the western side of the Sierras, and only wear my waterproof runners when it's going to be wet. I never wear boots :)

AnnieW625
08-26-2016, 01:38 PM
Not when you live next to the outlets and your neighbor gets 30% off the outlet and sale price. ;) We only buy pairs that are under $45 to start and then get the discount on top of that. Maybe some Nike's are the way to go? The other discount she gets is on Converse but those are NOT great for hiking!

Officially jealous, but that is a great deal!

daniele_ut
08-26-2016, 03:17 PM
Amazon and the Columbia outlet are where I get lightweight hiking shoes for my kids. DS1 is a Boy Scout and I got him a pair at the Columbia outlet less than a month ago for about $30. In the past, though, when I have more time, I stalk Amazon for sales on Keen or Merrell.

I had a last minute emergency for Girl Scout camp a few weeks ago and got a pair of boy's hiking shoes for DD at Payless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

o_mom
08-26-2016, 03:28 PM

What size is he? Maybe we can help you find a decent pair for somewhat reasonable.

REI has several hiking boots and trail shoes in their garage section for under $50. Campmor has a few. Sierra Trading post has many in the $30-40 range as well.

I would not get a regular Nike tennis shoe/running shoe - the soles are not thick enough to cushion from rocks and they don't usually have much in the way of tread. Nike does have some trail-running shoes, but I have not seen them to assess.

Really, what you want is something with some traction and the sole to be thick enough that he does not feel every single rock. That said, a pack that is 10% of body weight is not much at all - so I would not be concerned too much about stability. That's really not much more than a typical daypack with lunch weight-wise.

rlu
08-26-2016, 04:09 PM
You might ask other parents in the troop where they get their shoes/boots for the hike. If they haven't done this exact hike before, the older ones will most likely have done something similar.

In our troop BSA socks are required and both DH and DS seem to like them and recc'd I get some as well if we do more hiking. They are pricey like other hiking socks. Our troop has a uniform closet where they make outgrown clothes available to the other scouts (mostly class B shirts but we found other useful items there). I think our district has one as well. There's no stigma attached, just like an older brother handing down to a younger one, that's all.

DH and DS do wear hiking boots, so can't help you there. I did wear Keens on our last trip and was pleased with their grip on the trails. We just did two dog-friendly hikes that were each less than 2 miles, but the terrain did vary and the keens worked well for me.

eta: I was hesitant to buy the keens - even on sale more than I usually spend on my shoes, but I needed something I could use in the water and onland.

abh5e8
08-26-2016, 04:13 PM
So where do you or you dh usually buy hiking boots? I think for adult size boots, $75 is reasonable. But I'd love to find them for less!!

We all hike in tennis shoes or keens, but it's 3 mile max and the kids are still little, so no heavy packs.

o_mom
08-26-2016, 04:39 PM
Just remembered... Sam's Club has Eddie Bauer men's hiking boots for $32.xx in the clubs right now. They also have an EB hiking shoe for $24.xx.

If you have a membership or know someone with one, that is probably as good of a deal as you will get at a B&M store.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/men-hkng-boot-bwn-8-in-club-item-434978/prod20411758.ip

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/eb-mens-hiker-9-in-club-item-70349/prod20330376.ip

calebsmama03
08-26-2016, 11:30 PM
For a six mile hike with a 10lb pack, I'd go with trail running shoes. That way they could be used for daily activities. My DS wears waterproof trail runners for most of the school year. Try looking at Nordstrom rack. What size shoe are you looking for?

P.s. I work outside and hike 5-6 miles 2x a week with a 10lb pack, and I wear running shoes. I'm hiking on the western side of the Sierras, and only wear my waterproof runners when it's going to be wet. I never wear boots :)

I completely agree. We hike regularly (weekly in the summer) in the Rocky Mountains and we all just wear running shoes or, at most, trail running shoes. DH and/or I ends up packing our 35lb 5-yr-old at least half way and our average hike is probably 6 miles. Our food/water pack is around 10-12lbs most trips. It's been rare that I've actually wished I had hiking boots and that was for late fall and early sprink hikes where there was still lots of snow and mud on the trail. We hike trails with s moderate to significant elevation change and pretty rugged (as in, unimproved, washed out creek beds, lots of rocks and gravel). Truly he will be fine with decent running shoes that have a tread. If money is an issue and he isn't going to be hiking regularly to use them there is NO need to buy any fancy boots.

bisous
08-27-2016, 09:45 AM
Thank you for all your replies!

A couple of things. First, I totally have spent $75 on shoes. I just forgot about it! It has been awhile since I bought shoes but what *I* hike in are my 5yo Nike Frees that cost me about $80 if I remember correctly. So yes, Annie, I do think what you posted is a good deal! I just have selective memory, lol. It has been years since I've hiked with a pack but I've always just used my running shoes and it has been fine for me. I have always hiked in CA, never in areas with lots of water or mud though. DH picked up some hiking boots at Big 5. I don't know what he spent, it was a long time ago. Almost all of our hiking is either here in CA or in the surrounding states of the SW (Arizona and Utah mostly).

I really think I'll try to convince DH to buy DS some shoes that can be versatile--used for hiking or riding his bike or even just to wear to school, that's possible, right? I'll check out some of the links you guys sent. I really don't want to spend a ton, since DS already has two pair of closed toe shoes in this size.

His Nike's are a size 9. I anticipate that his feet will still grow a lot. My DH is a size 12.

o_mom
08-27-2016, 10:15 AM
Sierra Trading Post has a trail running shoe is his size for $21 + $6 shipping.

bisous
08-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Sierra Trading Post has a trail running shoe is his size for $21 + $6 shipping.

OK. So these are perfect. Absolutely perfect. And I see there are only a few sizes and I don't know how long the sale runs.

I told DH about this thread (after telling him that I'd ask around about best practices in footwear for hiking since we disagreed) and that I want to buy these shoes and he is angry. He is upset because I am not "honoring his expertise". What about mine? This little issue is perfectly representative of the difficulties we have in our marriage. (This is probably oversharing). Angry feelings about children's footwear. He's mad that I didn't just agree with him. I'm mad that after presenting him with a logical plan, he won't admit this is a really excellent plan! I'm so frustrated. Marriage counseling advice welcome, I have no illusions that I'm completely in the right here. I wish this didn't happen on Saturday morning. It is going to be a long weekend.

ANYWAY. Thank you for the help on the hiking boot situation. I really appreciate the discussion and recommendations.

jent
08-27-2016, 01:41 PM
He is upset because I am not "honoring his expertise".

Would it help if it was an "expert opinion"? Check this out: http://www.cleverhiker.com/blog/ditch-boots

DH and his BF, who are big hikers/outdoors club types, both believe the "you need boots to protect your ankles" is old fashioned thinking, and that sneakers/trail runners are lighter, more flexible, and more comfortable.

eagle
08-27-2016, 03:33 PM
sounds like there are definitely other issues going on (and yes, op, youre quite aware of this!)... i am firmly on the side of not buying anything at all or doing as you wish (buy a versatile pair of shoes) but (and this is just _me_,) this isnt a hill id want to die on. as op says, this is over "children's footwear". bisous, youre able to look at the big picture, obviously. id just let dh get whatever fancy boots you cannot afford, and then work on figuring out how to get some counseling or therapy for one or both of you.

(secretly pulling for you and hope you get versatile shoes for your son) good luck!

o_mom
08-27-2016, 04:49 PM
OK. So these are perfect. Absolutely perfect. And I see there are only a few sizes and I don't know how long the sale runs.

I told DH about this thread (after telling him that I'd ask around about best practices in footwear for hiking since we disagreed) and that I want to buy these shoes and he is angry. He is upset because I am not "honoring his expertise". What about mine? This little issue is perfectly representative of the difficulties we have in our marriage. (This is probably oversharing). Angry feelings about children's footwear. He's mad that I didn't just agree with him. I'm mad that after presenting him with a logical plan, he won't admit this is a really excellent plan! I'm so frustrated. Marriage counseling advice welcome, I have no illusions that I'm completely in the right here. I wish this didn't happen on Saturday morning. It is going to be a long weekend.

ANYWAY. Thank you for the help on the hiking boot situation. I really appreciate the discussion and recommendations.

Knowing that there are other issues, can you say "fine, we will get boots, but here are options under $40, so let's get those since he will outgrow them quickly"? At least limit the damage to your budget that way.

What about these: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pacific-trail-sequoia-hiking-boots-for-men~p~126tg/ $24 + $6 shipping

Or, hit up Sam's Club and get the $32 hiking boots there.

bnme
08-27-2016, 04:58 PM
Is DH only willing to get expensive boots? If not, if you can get a pair for ~$50, I see no reason to argue with him over this. He's into hiking, he wants to get them for him, let him be happy if it won't break the bank. You can argue the point either way. No one is right or wrong.

o_mom
08-30-2016, 07:11 PM
Bumping this to add these links from this month's scout leader magazine:

http://scoutingmagazine.org/2016/08/shed-pounds-pack-using-ultralight-backpacking-strategies/

http://scoutingmagazine.org/2016/08/whats-in-his-pack-gear-planning-tips-from-an-ultralight-backpacking-expert/

"Shoes: Mountain boots with lug soles have their place, but if most of your hiking program involves light packs on trails, boots are overkill. U.S. Army research shows saving a pound from footwear is equal to saving 5.7 pounds from your backpack! So take the pounds off your feet and hike in trail-running shoes. His pick? La Sportiva Helios SR (http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain-running/helios-sr) ($130)."

Percycat
08-31-2016, 01:28 PM
Check with your troop. Our troop regularly swaps/hands down uniform and hiking shoes.

Also, Sams club currently has two hiking boot/shoe options at $32 or $24. If they aren't waterproof, you can spray with waterproof protection. (Even shoes that are sold as waterproof sometimesy lose the waterproof protection and have to be retreated).

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/men-hkng-boot-bwn-8-in-club-item-434978/prod20411758.ip

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/eb-mens-hiker-9-in-club-item-70349/prod20330376.ip

I think your son will have more fun if he has appropriate gear that is comfortable for him to wear.