PDA

View Full Version : Kindergarteners thread

mackmama
08-26-2016, 12:35 AM
There was a thread that showed a lot of us have entering kindergarteners. Just curious how everyone's doing (for those who have started)? DC loves it which is great. They have short days for a month before going to the normal schedule, so the schedule right now is actually shorter than our prior preschool. DC is still pretty wiped out everyday though, so even though DC is having a great time I think it's quite a transition. I'm enjoying the other parents that I've met so far. It's interesting to be in this new social situation as an adult... part of me feels like I'm just starting school again. How is everyone else faring? How many kids in your class?

trcy
08-26-2016, 06:09 AM
DD is also doing great, which is a huge relief. There are 18 kids in her class. She is exhausted when she gets home, but I expected that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

anonomom
08-26-2016, 08:40 AM
DS doesn't have his staggered entry day until Next Tuesday, and starts for real after labor day. But we got teacher assignments last night and will meet his teacher today. He got the teacher I think would be the best fit for him, and also has three friends in his class (out of either 20 or 21 kids). I anticipate that it will be a good year.

PZMommy
08-26-2016, 09:19 AM
My DS is in his second week. He has a great teacher. He is exhausted!! I have to drop him at before care at 6:30 and then don't get him until close to 4. His school has a no homework policy, so I'm loving that!!

smilequeen
08-26-2016, 12:49 PM
This is his first full week. He's doing great. He doesn't like to leave me in the morning and he's coming home every day with a picture he drew for me that always has a tiny little heart with MOM written next to it :) He's really great at school and a little crabby at home, sometimes falling asleep for 20 minutes or so. He's adjusting well though.

AngB
08-26-2016, 01:57 PM
We are on week 3. DS1 is not a fan of kindergarten at all although I'm hoping it will get better as he adjusts. (He LOVED preschool.) He says every day is boring. He isn't really tired at night (I have trouble getting him to go to bed, actually, and then he is up in the morning usually on his own.) I don't think his teacher is especially bad because one of my college friends is bringing her daughter from a different building and has her in the same class, and the counselor also has a child in the class, but not sure that she's the greatest fit for him or maybe he wouldn't have been happy regardless. He does say that the day goes by fast though so I guess he can't be too bored. (And it's also not that he already knows everything, he's not reading yet and definitely needs a lot of work with writing.)

marymoo86
08-26-2016, 01:59 PM
DS doesn't have his staggered entry day until Next Tuesday, and starts for real after labor day. But we got teacher assignments last night and will meet his teacher today. He got the teacher I think would be the best fit for him, and also has three friends in his class (out of either 20 or 21 kids). I anticipate that it will be a good year.

We have staggered on Wed and do not meet the teacher until after on Friday. Apparently it is an assessment day and then teacher assignments based on that.

NCGrandma
08-26-2016, 02:03 PM

Glad to hear the teacher assignment sounds good, given your concerns about it.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

Charlie
08-26-2016, 06:38 PM
We are having some adjustment issues to put it mildly - a lot of acting out in the classroom and complaining about being bored. But the school has been handling it well and it has gotten better.

♥ms.pacman♥
08-27-2016, 11:33 PM
DD just finished her first week of Kinder. She is *extremely* shy and didn't really know anyone going into kinder. Luckily though, she was assigned the same kinder teacher as DS had this past year!! So she was familiar with the teacher/classroom, and we were already familiar with the teacher. I guess this is the plus of having kids only a year apart...it felt like everything (snack policy, HW policy, etc) was "been there, done that" so we didn't sweat it all.

dd was not nervous at all the day before or morning of, but did get rather clingy when it came to leave her the classroom. though she adjusted pretty well. the next day i just dropped both off in the carpool lane and she had no issues (again, thanks to big brother showing her where to go).

DD is still super shy and doesn't speak there yet (which is normal for her..with new people, it takes her several weeks for her to say anything). the other day DD told me that one of the Kinder teachers (not her own) asked her if she spoke English. LOL!! DD thought that was hilarious, like "can't people understand that i just don't want to talk?" LOL. Though luckily her own teacher (who DS had last year) was familiar with her and her shyness and knew what to expect and was very helpful. One concern we had was using the potty during school...she was too shy to ask when she needed to go. So we asked teacher to use same system we used at her daycare..she makes a sign with her hand (like the "r" in sign language) which signals the teacher she has to go potty. so far one week has gone by and apparently that worked pretty well.

anyway, so far so good. our main concern was DD's extreme shyness but from past experience she opens up a lot in several weeks once she gets to know people.

also, the other new thing this year was going to the school after-care, which they had never been before (last year DS was bused to DD's daycare for aftercare). Well, they LOVE it. the plus is that they are together during that time, so DS can help DD at first when she's too shy to ask for things. so far it's seems pretty good.

ged
08-28-2016, 01:53 AM
I'm enjoying the other parents that I've met so far. It's interesting to be in this new social situation as an adult... part of me feels like I'm just starting school again.

Just wanted to chime in, though my youngest will be in 1st grade this year. We got our classroom assignments yesterday, and I was most bummed because two of the new mommy friends I made last year had their kids assigned to another class. That teacher, btw, is the one we all preferred, so it is sad all around - but *mainly* it's bc of *me* missing my mommy friends! haha.

jam224
09-01-2016, 11:12 PM
We're going on week 4 of Kindergarten here! So far, so good! She loves riding the bus (she says it's the best part of her day, haha) and is making all kinds of friends. We've adjusted to the school schedule surprisingly well. We used to be night owls, so I was worried that the transition would be harder. I have noticed that she's having a hard time being a good listener at home, when before her behavior was typically good. I know that all-day Kindergarten takes a lot out of her though, so I'm hoping we'll get into a groove again soon. She's in a class of 17 students. I really like her teacher, so that's a huge relief!

jbbhb
09-02-2016, 01:05 AM
We don't start until next Wednesday. DS1 was in full day TK at the same school so I don't expect he will have too much trouble adjusting. He is anxious about his teacher and we won't find out until the day before. Glad everyone is having mostly positive experiences.

Myira
09-02-2016, 12:33 PM
DS started mid last week and thus far it has gone really well. He was very excited about it and the teacher has been a huge hit with him. I was very anxious but looks like my little baby has grown up and am looking forward to a great year!

echoesofspring
09-02-2016, 03:38 PM
I'm enjoying the other parents that I've met so far.
I wish I would meet other parents! It seems everyone stays in their car waiting for the bus or at pick up at school, so there's no mingling, etc. It's a bummer, though I'm a sure as the school year picks up there will be more opportunities to get to know folks.

marymoo86
09-02-2016, 04:17 PM
Met our teacher today and it is the one DD1 wanted to get. She had her for the orientation and really liked her.

Class starts Tuesday so will see how it all goes!

llama8
09-02-2016, 06:52 PM
We have our kindergarten classroom visit on Tuesday and K starts on Wednesday. We got the teacher we wanted (and the same K teacher my older DD had) so I am so happy for my little one to start K on Wednesday. Hoping 2nd grade and K go well for my girls!