PDA

View Full Version : Odd pet behavior - any ideas?

TwoBees
08-26-2016, 08:15 AM
Recently our cat has been licking the faux-wood panel walls in one of our rooms. Before I call the vet, any idea why he is doing this?

We've been in the house for two years and nothing has changed in this room as far as I can tell.

doberbrat
08-26-2016, 11:15 AM
one of the kids brushed by with crumbs/food on them and put them on the wood? accidentally licked the wall while grooming and decided he liked it?

I would chalk it up to 'weird things that pets do' and not give it a 2nd thought. If you think its a problem, spray some bitter apple on it and it will stop.

mackmama
08-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Sounds like pica which can be due to a deficiency in his diet. I'd take to the vet who can also rule out other stuff.

rlu
08-26-2016, 04:17 PM
same reason my dog licks the tv tray leg? boredom, novelty?

It if is constant, frequent or intense, I would call the vet, otherwise just observe a bit and see if the novelty goes away.

Indianamom2
08-26-2016, 09:27 PM
I have a cat who licks any white USB cord. Not black, not white lamp cords, only white USB cords. Yes, he's weird.

trales
08-27-2016, 09:56 AM
Our dog licks constantly when she has a yeast infection in her ears. Lift up the ear and sniff, you will know, if it smells, go to the vet.

catsnkid
08-29-2016, 12:15 PM
It's likely an oil in the plastic that the cat likes. I had a cat who was obsessed with licking the window shades and plastic bags. I would mention it to the vet in case there is a deficiency, but this is more common than you probably think.

MamaMolly
08-30-2016, 01:30 AM
I had a cat that would lick one spot on the living room wall when I moved in with DH. It was the same cat that licked the plastic accordion thingy on the sides of a window AC unit. And the same cat that slurped wool. And the same cat that licked vapo-rub off my chest when I had a cold. Same cat who loved to eat the seed slime from cantaloupe.

Some cats are just weird.