PDA

View Full Version : If you send out expensive holiday cards..Why do you do it? Are the cards appreciated?

AnnieW625
08-26-2016, 01:49 PM
Yes I have already started looking at these. I fell in love with a few designs from Minted.com, but I can't get over the price. The cards are all $160 for 100 cards without a discount code. If I sign up for emails I will get 15% off and then they have the new Minted More subscription program (http://www.minted.com/more) for $50 which also gets you 30% off their holiday cards (and 15% off everything else for a year, plus some other cards, gift wrap stuff, and a table runner and 4 napkins) the card price would then go down to $118.30. I just would hope that if I spend that much money on cards that they aren't just thrown in the trash (I have good intentions of putting the photo cards we have received the last couple of years in a photo album so they are no longer in a box with the holiday decorations). I could alway do the fancy ones for family and close friends and get cheaper ones at Costco, but I like being done all at once.

ETA: we tape our cards to the wall by our Xmas tree, and last year I don't think they came down until late January because I liked looking at them.

marymoo86
08-26-2016, 02:03 PM
What constitutes "expensive"? I send nice quality cards (cardstock not glossy photo paper) but spend much less than that. Generally I get a groupon for tinyprints, zazzle, whatever company that does nice cards. I don't send out that many ~ 40 and usually costs less $1 per card.

I send them b/c I like the way it looks. I do appreciate nice looking cards but most likely all end up recycled after the holiday.

twowhat?
08-26-2016, 02:04 PM
When I've done Christmas cards, I just do Costco because they always end up a last minute scramble. On the receiving end I don't really care! Sure, the (more) expensive cards look nice but it's just nice to get the cards. My only conundrum is what to do with all those cards...I would feel terrible throwing them out but at the same time I am trying to reduce any clutter in the house! I would personally LOVE emailed cards :)

AnnieW625
08-26-2016, 02:30 PM
What constitutes "expensive"? I send nice quality cards (cardstock not glossy photo paper) but spend much less than that. Generally I get a groupon for tinyprints, zazzle, whatever company that does nice cards. I don't send out that many ~ 40 and usually costs less $1 per card.

I send them b/c I like the way it looks. I do appreciate nice looking cards but most likely all end up recycled after the holiday.
$160 for 100 cards is expensive to me, that is $1.60 per card. Costco would be considered cheap at .30 per card (100 cards for $30, and even Greetings by Costco would be $70 or so for their paper greeting so .60 a card). We have done Costco Photo, Walgreens (when I realized I didn't have enough cards!), Simply To Impress (via a Groupon) and for the most part was happy with them. I wouldn't have been super happy with Simply to Impress if I hadn't bought the Groupon, but for $30 or so I got 100 cards and it was slightly nicer than Costco photo.

Kindra178
08-26-2016, 02:42 PM
Like many people we know, we display all cards for a few weeks. We get very few glossy photo paper kind and 90% cardstock. I don't really care if other folks appreciate our card, I prefer the cardstock kind. We like Mango Ink.

specialp
08-26-2016, 02:46 PM
There are better deals around Thanksgiving.

I send what I like and yes, they cost a bit to get nice ones on card stock. I toss all the ones I receive when we take down the decorations and I'm sure that is what happens to the ones we give. I have no expectation that they be kept.

khm
08-26-2016, 02:52 PM
Yes I have already started looking at these. I fell in love with a few designs from Minted.com, but I can't get over the price. The cards are all $160 for 100 cards without a discount code. If I sign up for emails I will get 15% off and then they have the new Minted More subscription program (http://www.minted.com/more) for $50 which also gets you 30% off their holiday cards (and 15% off everything else for a year, plus some other cards, gift wrap stuff, and a table runner and 4 napkins) the card price would then go down to $118.30. I just would hope that if I spend that much money on cards that they aren't just thrown in the trash (I have good intentions of putting the photo cards we have received the last couple of years in a photo album so they are no longer in a box with the holiday decorations). I could alway do the fancy ones for family and close friends and get cheaper ones at Costco, but I like being done all at once.

I do photo 5x7s. Usually from Winkflash or similar, whereever has matte finish, which is my one "big deal" for mine. I send out around $100 and do not spend $160 total. It's closer to 50-70 cents per with coupon, and if I need to expedite shipping. I do it because it's a thing for me, I design them from scratch. Every year I grumble about what a pain it is, every year I do it and end up glad I did.

I absolutely do not care if a card I receive looks expensive or not expensive or comes from Walmart or from minted is glossy or matte ;). I don't care if they are generic or flashy. I don't care if they handwrite the addresses or use labels.

I like seeing the pics, seeing the kids grow, add a dog, etc. I don't remove a person for not sending me one. I try not to miss anyone, but I'm sure I do.

I send more than I get. I hang them on our open staircase with lights and garland, and you can tell the numbers are noticeably going down year to year as everyone in my circle is moving out of the baby/toddler stage. They are also getting more and more last minute, also fine, but makes me a bit sad because I loooooove them as decor on that staircase.

I recycle every last one. I can't imagine wanting to keep them. I highly highly doubt most people I know keep them. It is a bit sad for a moment when I recycle them, but by the new year, they've served their purpose.

meggie t
08-26-2016, 03:01 PM
I do spend a lot on our cards but I am a stationery fanatic, love high quality paper and ink, and enjoy sending them out. We definitely don't get as many in return but it doesn't matter.

Green_Tea
08-26-2016, 03:35 PM
I buy very high quality cards, but always get them on super sale, usually around Halloween. The list price for what I get is always in the range of $1.50-$2/card, but I have always paid less than a dollar per card by stacking offers, using sales, etc.

I just like the way they look and feel.

IansMom
08-26-2016, 03:36 PM
I do spend a lot on our cards but I am a stationery fanatic, love high quality paper and ink, and enjoy sending them out. We definitely don't get as many in return but it doesn't matter.

:yeahthat:

Corie
08-26-2016, 03:43 PM
I love receiving holiday cards from my friends and family!!! As soon as I get them, I put them out for display. I love looking at them
and seeing all the happy families.

I don't keep them once we pack up the holiday decorations. The cards go in the recycling bin.

AnnieW625
08-26-2016, 03:50 PM
Like many people we know, we display all cards for a few weeks. We get very few glossy photo paper kind and 90% cardstock. I don't really care if other folks appreciate our card, I prefer the cardstock kind. We like Mango Ink.
I will have to double check when I get home, but I think this is the same company that some friends used for their save the date cards and wedding invites. Super nice stuff when I briefly browsed their site.

I buy very high quality cards, but always get them on super sale, usually around Halloween. The list price for what I get is always in the range of $1.50-$2/card, but I have always paid less than a dollar per card by stacking offers, using sales, etc.

So where do you get your cards from? I too love the look of nice stationary so I think that is why I am leaning towards nicer card stock this year, but like everything else in life I want a good deal. I have never seen a % off deal on Minted (although apparently they were on Zulilly a few years ago per a search I found on this site).

Green_Tea
08-26-2016, 03:52 PM
So where do you get your cards from? I too love the look of nice stationary so I think that is why I am leaning towards nicer card stock this year, but like everything else in life I want a good deal. I have never seen a % off deal on Minted (although apparently they were on Zulilly a few years ago per a search I found on this site).

A variety of sites, depending on what strikes my fancy year to year. I have done TinyPrints, higher end options on Shutterfly, etc. I have not done Minted.

specialp
08-26-2016, 03:58 PM
OP, I do keep costs down by not sending out a ton of cards. Everyone is different and there is no wrong way, but I have a limit. I have friends who send to everyone they've ever met, doctors, dentists, former kids' teachers, former co workers/college/sorority sisters they haven't seen in years, etc. That would overwhelm me and require more time/$/energy than I care to devote to it.

gatorsmom
08-26-2016, 04:19 PM

This is me too. Except I try to get my cards done in September if I have the photos already picked out. I usually use Shutterfly because I am familiar with their website, it's easy to use, I have copies of all the cards I've ever done on there so I can compare photos and seasonal quotes, etc. Last fall they had some amazing deals.

I mainly my send out Christmas cards to reach relatives I'm not in touch with that often. My mother's elderly sisters and dad's cousins say they love to receive them, particularly since my parents passed away. Also, I've noticed I get more cards in return when I send them out myself and I LOVE getting Christmas cards!!!

essnce629
08-26-2016, 06:13 PM
I do the "nicer" ones from Costco that are on cardstock but I think they're only around $30 for 50 and that's more than I even need. All cards end up displayed on my front door for several weeks. I really don't care or pay attention to whose is nicer or more expensive.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

Melaine
08-26-2016, 08:47 PM
I personally think the mega-nice ones are a waste of money. There are plenty of cheaper versions. I'll probably do costco this year, I tend to do cards every 2-3 years and I think it's about time I do them again! I think they are fun to send out and I love receiving them but they are not something I am willing to devote any stress or (significant) cost to.

mackmama
08-26-2016, 10:29 PM
We do Tiny Prints, and I think it's a complete waste of money. DH insists.

smiles33
08-26-2016, 10:41 PM
I didn't vote as I don't buy expensive cards--I get the Groupon for cardstock ones from Zazzle ($40 for 75 or so?) and it's a good value IMHO.

I do keep all the cards I get (I hole punch the corner and attach to a ribbon). I love looking at them during the holidays and when we put up the holiday stuff, I always scan through previous years' cards. It makes me smile to see family and friends' cards over the years!

meggie t
08-26-2016, 11:56 PM

I used to go on Etsy and create a nice letterpress card. I send about 100 cards and I have spent anywhere from $200-350. Crazy but I enjoy the process and the end result. This past year I used Page Stationery, which is also where I got my children's birth announcements. I went digital/flat ink this past year instead of letterpress. Less expensive. I also don't do photo cards - I just don't care for them. I enclose a 3x5 picture of the children. I also like my card to be somewhat religious, and I find it very hard to find what I like in the mainstream, which is why I end up going custom.

kristac
08-27-2016, 10:47 AM
I have been doing ornament cards from tinyprints for the past few years. They are pricey but I only order 10-15 and they go to close relatives and friends. I have seen my previous years cards hanging on family's Christmas trees, so I feel they are cherished. As for cards I receive- all cards are hung by ribbon on my cabinets for the season, then I cut out the family photos and laminate them to hang on my fridge year round.

bisous
08-27-2016, 11:03 AM
I love and appreciate the beautiful cards that I receive. We do the cheap Costco ones. DH is an artist and makes a custom design with photo. I think they turn out really nice but the printing quality is noticeably different than the nicer, cardstock ones. We order A LOT of cards though so this allows us to do so inexpensively. My biggest gripe with the process is not the paper we use but dealing with the Costco photo center around the holidays!

cuca_
08-27-2016, 11:41 AM
I love nice cards, so we usually do that. I am always happy to receive any kind of cards from friends and family. I, however, prefer card stock folded photo cards, so we get those every year. I like including a personalized message in every card. We live far away from friends and family, and I feel like it is a way to touch base with those we don't see or talk to regularly. We've used Minted the last two years, and I have been happy with their product. Last year I received a 30% off coupon in the mail and used that. I am not familiar with their subscription program that Annie mentioned. We send a lot of cards, so I always make sure to find a discount code.

klwa
08-27-2016, 05:36 PM
I'm going to go against the majority. While I love getting any cards, my favorites to get are the simple photo cards printed on normal photo paper. Those stay up all year, and when the new cards come in, they get put away in my photo albums, with the name/year section cut off. Busily then they're pretty close to a standard 4x6 size. So the really nice ones on card stock end up thrown away because I don't have a good way to store them and the cheap ones are kept.

I generally send out 100+ and get back 50-75.