PDA

View Full Version : Zika and travel - help me think of options!

Globetrotter
08-30-2016, 01:51 AM
I'm looking for a warm weather destination for four days in February. One of the ladies is ttc, so I need to avoid Zika prone areas. There isn't enough time for Hawaii (some folks are coming from the east coast and I'm coming from CA). Any ideas? We wanted something family friendly for the kids, relaxing, preferably all inclusive, not too pricey, but affordable ones all seem to be in Zika areas! We were originally thinking of Mexico, but it's not worth the potential risk. Ideas? Eta: for this trip, we need to stay closer to CA since my kids only have a four day weekend.
Also, would you travel to a Zika region if you weren't pregnant or ttc? I'm planning another trip for early summer, and that group also wanted Mexico, but I'm nervous!

georgiegirl
08-30-2016, 08:08 AM
We are taking a Caribbean trip in December (Grand Cayman.). Didn't even think about Zika. I'm all done having kids thankfully.

hillview
08-30-2016, 08:14 AM
I think Hawaii if you are PG or TTC is the only option. We are going to Turks and Caicos after Christmas but we are done having kids (so yes I'd go to a Zika area if not pg or ttc).

mikala
08-30-2016, 09:18 AM
We are taking a Caribbean trip in December (Grand Cayman.). Didn't even think about Zika. I'm all done having kids thankfully.
I'd consider Grand Cayman too. I just did a quick search and it sounds like zika is there but I've been to the island several times and don't think I've ever even seen a mosquito on the island. I'd feel pretty safe there, especially with basic precautions like long sleeves/pants at dusk and making sure there weren't any mosquitoes indoors at night before sleeping.

geochick
08-30-2016, 09:54 AM
In February, I would think all of the warm all-inclusives will have a potential Zika risk. You may have to ditch the all-inclusive option and stick a little closer to home since one member of your party is ttc...or ask her to stay home. Scottsdale is somewhat nice in the winter months - focus on warm deserts. Think about Los Cabos in Mexico. It's less tropical and more of a desert. We're going to Turks and Caicos in Feb/Mar. Zika only recently arrived there, but that won't help you.

123LuckyMom
08-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Honestly, if I were your TTC friend there's no way I would risk going anywhere remotely tropical! I agree that if you want a warm weather destination it's going to have to be desert.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Globetrotter
08-30-2016, 01:21 PM
Thanks! For the February trip, I was thinking of the southwest or socal, maybe Palm Springs.
Eta: SoCal coast could be an option.

Globetrotter
08-30-2016, 01:44 PM
For the other family trip, maybe the Caribbean is ok.

gymnbomb
08-30-2016, 03:23 PM
I would go to the Caribbean if I were NOT pregnant or TTC, although I would still load up on the DEET.

123LuckyMom
08-30-2016, 06:16 PM
I would go to the Caribbean if I were NOT pregnant or TTC, although I would still load up on the DEET.

I don't think Zika is dangerous unless you might get pregnant. I would go to Zika territory with my family, because we're done with having kids. It's only the friend who's TTC whom I would suggest stay out of Zika territory.

marinkitty
09-02-2016, 09:29 PM
I think desert is definitely the way to go for the trip with the friend who is TTC.

I'm headed to Tulum in November and Belize in December (one is a girls' trip and the other a family trip) and we will use bug spray but otherwise aren't worried (no one is TTC). I went to Mexico twice last year and when we were in Puerto Rico (Culebra) the year before there was a lot of talk about a mosquito-borne illness that gave join pain and flu-like symptoms that had totally swept the island over the past 12 months and it was definitely Zika, but it just wasn't something that had caught world-media attention then (pre-knowing the link to birth defects I think). It has been around a lot longer than the recent coverage would have you think. I actually think my now-11 year old caught it when we were on Culebra as he had a two-day fever with aches and joint pain but it went away quickly and none of the rest of us came down with anything. We all got a few bug bites on that trip and in Tulum last year.

JElaineB
09-02-2016, 10:32 PM
I think desert is definitely the way to go for the trip with the friend who is TTC.

I'm headed to Tulum in November and Belize in December (one is a girls' trip and the other a family trip) and we will use bug spray but otherwise aren't worried (no one is TTC). I went to Mexico twice last year and when we were in Puerto Rico (Culebra) the year before there was a lot of talk about a mosquito-borne illness that gave join pain and flu-like symptoms that had totally swept the island over the past 12 months and it was definitely Zika, but it just wasn't something that had caught world-media attention then (pre-knowing the link to birth defects I think). It has been around a lot longer than the recent coverage would have you think. I actually think my now-11 year old caught it when we were on Culebra as he had a two-day fever with aches and joint pain but it went away quickly and none of the rest of us came down with anything. We all got a few bug bites on that trip and in Tulum last year.
It sounds like this was chikungunya which is carried by the same type of mosquito as dengue and zika. The main symptoms of chikungunya are fever and joint pain along with headache, muscle pain, joint swelling, or rash.

marinkitty
09-04-2016, 11:11 AM
It sounds like this was chikungunya which is carried by the same type of mosquito as dengue and zika. The main symptoms of chikungunya are fever and joint pain along with headache, muscle pain, joint swelling, or rash.

Definitely both were circulating there, but our ped thinks my son was unlikely to have chikungunya given the very short duration of his symptoms and how mild the joint discomfort was. She thinks it is more likely he had Zika. But they do have similarities, for sure.

marinkitty
09-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Double post. Oops.

123LuckyMom
09-04-2016, 07:51 PM
I recently heard that Zika can cause guillain barre syndrome. That may change my willingness to visit Zika prone areas. We were thinking about going to the Caribbean this winter, but I may rethink. It's a low risk, but still....

http://www.cdc.gov/zika/healtheffects/gbs-qa.html

Globetrotter
09-08-2016, 06:48 PM
Yes, I know someone who had severe gbs. Though the flu or flu shots can also trigger it, and we do that, but that made me think.

We are sticking to the desert regions for the ttc friend. For the other trip, looks like it will be HI with a timeshare or something. All inclusive would have been awesome, but I don't think it's worth the worry.