PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything I can do for swollen eye (bite)?

barkley1
08-30-2016, 08:32 AM
DD is like me and very reactive to mosquito bites. This has happened before and it almost swelled shut but I can't remember how long it took to get better. The second time I had an ice pack on it immediately and it didn't swell, but this time it happened w a babysitter Sunday and it was hours later when I discovered it and it was already swelling up.

That was two days ago...is there anything I can do now? Ice packs don't help much. Oral Benadryl? I hate for her to be groggy all day, but it's bothering her w little bit and she keeps rubbing it. Will it just swell back up after the Benadryl wears off? Poor thing! I think they bite her in the face bc that's the only space not covered in big spray!4490

pastrygirl
08-30-2016, 09:05 AM
Zyrtec works really well for me and my kids; I am still very allergic but they have grown out of it.

Mikey0709
08-30-2016, 09:10 AM
GOing to suggest the same - Zyrtec. It has been a LIFESAVER for me - bites go away within a day.... and I have an extreme reaction to them. Not sure if they make zyrtec for kids?

pastrygirl
08-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Edited to remove -- this was a duplicate of my post above for some reason! But yes, they make liquid Zyrtec for kids. :)

kristenk
08-30-2016, 11:52 AM
I was coming here to suggest Zyrtec, but I see several people beat me to it!

I always got HORRIBLE bites as a kid and DD takes after me. For the longest time I thought that I had just grown out of the horrible-ness of bites. I learned that if I can avoid scratching at first, the bite goes away quickly. I felt so proud of myself! Then I realized that it was all b/c I take Zyrtec daily for other allergies!

BunnyBee
08-30-2016, 02:34 PM
Zyrtec typically works better, but it can have an adverse affect on behavior for some kids.

urquie
08-30-2016, 08:46 PM
DD Oral Benadryl? I hate for her to be groggy all day, but it's bothering her w little bit and she keeps rubbing it. Will it just swell back up after the Benadryl wears off?

In addition to Zyrtec, I use Benadryl cream.