PDA

View Full Version : If you have beige or light tan interior in your car how do you keep it clean?

AnnieW625
08-30-2016, 12:40 PM
Title says it all. I am looking at cars (mainly Mazda CX-5, Volvo V60, and XC70) that are CPO and reasonably priced between 22k and 28k, but most of them have a tan or beige interior and I am afraid of not being able to keep it clean, especially with the kids in the back seat. I have only had cars that have had dark interiors in my cars (and DH's as well). I saw that Weather Tech makes a seat cover (http://www.weathertech.com/seat-protectors/?gclid=CMnMlezH6c4CFZGBfgodSJUFQQ) for the models of the cars I am looking at buying which would be really helpful because I can save oodles of money by buying CPO, and not having to buy a new car because it has the preferred darker interior. If it matters any I am not anti food in the car and since we are looking at wagons and small SUVs this car will be used on road trips, and sometimes eating a snack in the car is just unavoidable (even by myself or DH).

marymoo86
08-30-2016, 01:13 PM
Armor all leather wipes - had mine for a year and no issues.

fauve01
08-30-2016, 01:50 PM
NO eating or drinking (except water) in the car.

Mikey0709
08-30-2016, 01:54 PM
I used the leather wipes too on a tan interior. Also put a seat protector on where they kicked the front seat. The good thing is LEATHER cleans pretty easy, right now i'm screwed with a light grey fabric seat and it's awlful.

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2016, 02:10 PM
My dh has a no food rule. I, on the other hand, have a beige interior, allow eating and really just don't care. I vacuum it regularly but there are definitely some stains. My jeans have been the biggest stain makers. We are also car shopping and I am focused solely on tan in the one car and beige or tan in the other. Hate black. Feels like a cave. Hate leather too. So, I have chosen the most un-family friendly option but the light, bright space is what I want.

TwinFoxes
08-30-2016, 02:53 PM
My jeans have been the biggest stain makers. We are also car shopping and I am focused solely on tan in the one car and beige or tan in the other.

Same here, but it comes off fairly easily. I haven't had any permanent stains. Even after the great "snacking on tomatoes after trampolining vomitorium of 2015." I was convinced that my car would never be clean again. DH and a wet-vac worked wonders.

mackmama
08-30-2016, 03:33 PM
We have light gray, and I just don't worry about it. DC eats in the car all of the time and spills plenty but there aren't stains. The car seat has hurt the car the most by denting the seat so much.

MontrealMum
08-30-2016, 04:36 PM
Leather cleans so easily it's never been an issue.

pharmjenn
08-30-2016, 05:57 PM
I have 2 Fords, one with a tan interior and my newest with the black. Be glad Ford is not on your list, because I can not get most stains off his leather.

My jeans have been the biggest stain makers. .
In addition to jeans, any dark clothing makes marks that don't come off. Food-wise, I agree that most everything comes off with leather wipes.

SnuggleBuggles
08-30-2016, 06:13 PM
I've reread a few times. Where does she say leather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WatchingThemGrow
08-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Tuff stuff found in the automotive section of wal-mart works wonders on interiors of all shades. It is unreal in its ability to lift stains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
08-30-2016, 07:45 PM
Folex.

It's sold at Home Depot and comes in a white spray bottle with purple writing.

Also, get WeatherTech floor mats. Best thing EVER.

If I were to suddenly bad eating/drinking in the car I've inherited from DH, I think I'd have a mutiny on my hands.

123LuckyMom
08-30-2016, 08:24 PM
I don't mean to hijack, but if anybody has found a cleaner for dark denim stains on light FABRIC, I'd love to know what will work. We have a grey fabric interior in our car, and my jeans have definitely stained the driver's seat. I also have a white leather desk chair in afraid to sit in!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

AnnieW625
08-30-2016, 10:43 PM
We have grey leather in the Pilot and have had no issue with it and have used the Armour All wipes in it as well. We will definitely look at Weather Tech or similar mats (I bought the Cabelas Trail Gear pre cut non laser cut mats for the Pilot......because DH wanted Digi Camo! and it turns out they are made by Weather Tech) if I don't get them with the car. I also bought Rubbermaid mats for my old Accord and initially for the Pilot and was happy with them as well. I have been using Folex for years too and get that at Target. I was introduced to the wonders of Folex when my then 2 yr. old sister put green Crayola marker on the wallpaper in our room. It took the color right out, but left the wallpaper in tact.

I've reread a few times. Where does she say leather?
You are right I didn't:) The Mazda doesn't have leather standard so I am seeing models with both options, but the Volvos do on almost all of the pre owned models available. If I decide to look at Subaru leather isn't standard, but there aren't any CPO Outbacks in my area right now. I am indifferent on cloth vs. leather except I know I don't want pleather again (which was standard and not upgradable in my Passat, but I wanted the manual transmission more than the leather, but I would've been happy with cloth or velour instead of pleather). We had black cloth in our 01 Corolla, light grey velour in my 96 Accord coupe (which I only had when DD1 was in the infant seat so no mess for her to cause), and in my really old 90 Corolla I had navy woven upholstery and I never had an issue keeping any of them clean.

Tuff stuff found in the automotive section of wal-mart works wonders on interiors of all shades. It is unreal in its ability to lift stains.
I either used this stuff or something like it from Mothers when I had to clean my prior cloth interior cars. This stuff even got hot pink nail polish out of the grey carpet of my apartment.

american_mama
09-01-2016, 03:06 AM
Well, disaster for me after reading this thread. I suggest people try wiping with water first to see if that works well enough with no downsides.

I tried Tuff Stuff on my light beige leather interior. Worked ok on the thigh area of the backseat, worked ok on the door interior, but then left a mild discoloration on the seatback. I moved to the steering wheel, which had gotten filthy and tacky and weird this summer after DH drove the car long distance. Tuff Stuff made it even tackier! I did just a 3 inch section, but it got sticky! So I switched to a household cleaner.... Greased Lightning... and it did the same thing. I think it dissolved some of the material. Then I switched to water and a rag, and it cleaned it almost as well with no tackiness.

I think I might have to buy a steering wheel cover now, because those 5ish inches of stickiness are unpleasant while driving.

TwinFoxes
09-01-2016, 07:06 AM
Well, disaster for me after reading this thread. I suggest people try wiping with water first to see if that works well enough with no downsides.

I tried Tuff Stuff on my light beige leather interior. Worked ok on the thigh area of the backseat, worked ok on the door interior, but then left a mild discoloration on the seatback. I moved to the steering wheel, which had gotten filthy and tacky and weird this summer after DH drove the car long distance. Tuff Stuff made it even tackier! I did just a 3 inch section, but it got sticky! So I switched to a household cleaner.... Greased Lightning... and it did the same thing. I think it dissolved some of the material. Then I switched to water and a rag, and it cleaned it almost as well with no tackiness.

I think I might have to buy a steering wheel cover now, because those 5ish inches of stickiness are unpleasant while driving.

I don't think Tuff Stuff is meant for leather. It's an apholstery cleaner. DH uses it on our floor mats, but not on our seats. He uses Armor All for those.

american_mama
09-02-2016, 07:23 PM
I don't think Tuff Stuff is meant for leather. It's an apholstery cleaner. DH uses it on our floor mats, but not on our seats. He uses Armor All for those.

Doh! I'm an idiot! I didn't read this thread closely enough to notice that detail, and I didn't read the can at all. Nothing worse than knowing you brought it on yourself.

WatchingThemGrow
09-02-2016, 07:42 PM
Doh! I'm an idiot! I didn't read this thread closely enough to notice that detail, and I didn't read the can at all. Nothing worse than knowing you brought it on yourself.Oh no! I'm so sorry! Tuff stuff is good on cloth and carpets, plus the hard plastic pieces you step on getting into the car, not on leather.

I've never been able to clean sticky steering wheels. Maybe it's better to replace it.

TwinFoxes
09-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Doh! I'm an idiot! I didn't read this thread closely enough to notice that detail, and I didn't read the can at all. Nothing worse than knowing you brought it on yourself.

Maybe try the armour all wipes on the steering wheel? I don't think it will make it worse.

I feel like cars are a pain to clean. There are so many different surfaces! Carpet, upholstry, leather, wood, plastic, glass.