PDA

View Full Version : Renting a house that is mainly on the ground floor

vonfirmath
08-31-2016, 10:38 PM
My parents' 50th anniversary is next year. we want to get together (my sisters family, mine, and my parents) to do something where we rent a house together and just spend 3-ish days together. HOWEVER -- my dad cannot do stairs anymore. So anything on beaches is out as they are all on the 2nd floor.

Any ideas what kind of activities there are to go and rent a house at with a variety of things for kids 6-18 to enjoy together?

meggie t
08-31-2016, 10:44 PM
Just throwing this out there. We rented a house in the Outer Banks and it had an elevator (which we found in several rentals). It was perfect for my dad.

bisous
09-01-2016, 12:11 AM
I don't know where you live but here in CA there are lots of beach houses with only ground floors. :)

klwa
09-01-2016, 08:12 AM
We stayed at a house near Asheville, NC with 14 of us a couple of years ago. Most of the bedrooms were downstairs, with one couple & all the kids upstairs. We did the Biltmore House tour ( not something that would necessarily work well with your dad though...) and a few other things in that area.

But, I agree with the PP. Check on those beach rental to see if there's something you can find. On VRBO, one of the additional filters you can add is handicap access. Check that out for the number you need!

vonfirmath
09-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Just throwing this out there. We rented a house in the Outer Banks and it had an elevator (which we found in several rentals). It was perfect for my dad.

I thought I had put in TX somewhere in the post I wrote!

However, this did give me a great idea. I started looking for elevators and found several in Corpus Christi, Galveston, Port Lavaca -- all up and down the coast!

vonfirmath
09-01-2016, 09:06 AM
Duplicate

vonfirmath
09-01-2016, 09:09 AM
We stayed at a house near Asheville, NC with 14 of us a couple of years ago. Most of the bedrooms were downstairs, with one couple & all the kids upstairs. We did the Biltmore House tour ( not something that would necessarily work well with your dad though...) and a few other things in that area.

:) My parents live in South Carolina and did the Biltmore House tour... probably 15 years ago now. (at Christmas, I think). They loved it so much, my dad got a year-long membership and took everyone who came to do it. Yes, he could not do the tour now. But it was FANTASTIC!

vonfirmath
09-01-2016, 09:10 AM
I don't know where you live but here in CA there are lots of beach houses with only ground floors. :)

Yeah, I missed out on mentioning I and my sister were in TX.

Here, stuff on the coast is up in the air due to hurricanes and such.

SnuggleBuggles
09-01-2016, 09:55 AM
Lake vs coast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kristenk
09-01-2016, 10:49 AM
What time of year will you be going? Do you want to stay in Texas or are you willing to drive/fly farther?

vonfirmath
09-01-2016, 10:53 AM
What time of year will you be going? Do you want to stay in Texas or are you willing to drive/fly farther?

Summer. While school is out. My sister lives in the Bryan, College Station area. We live in Austin and my parents will be staying with one of us before heading off on this vacation. I'd say max about 6 Hr driving to get there. I suggested Big Bend and got it shot down as too far away.

kristenk
09-01-2016, 11:15 AM
I suggested Big Bend and got it shot down as too far away.

And too hot! Let me think...

kristenk
09-01-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm trying to think of non-beachy areas. How about Glen Rose, TX?

vonfirmath
09-01-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to think of non-beachy areas. How about Glen Rose, TX?

That's where the Dinosaur Park is, isn't it? My kids would love that :)

The Wikipedia mentions the history of a Baptist college there. And a outdoor musical called The Promise.

I know we went to the creation museum there and were not sure it was worth the drive. But might be worth checking out again if we were in the area again. I'll have to look around and see if there is anywhere to stay in the area.

kristenk
09-01-2016, 06:33 PM
That's where the Dinosaur Park is, isn't it? My kids would love that :)

The Wikipedia mentions the history of a Baptist college there. And a outdoor musical called The Promise.

I know we went to the creation museum there and were not sure it was worth the drive. But might be worth checking out again if we were in the area again. I'll have to look around and see if there is anywhere to stay in the area.

There are a few different things in the area that might not be worth the drive by themselves, but would be nice if you put them all together!

Fossil Rim (http://www.fossilrim.org) is a wildlife center. You can take a guided tour or drive through a lot of the property yourself. A friend's girl scout troop volunteered there one year and she thought the place was well run.

You mentioned Dinosaur Valley State Park. It has some nice, easy hikes, too.

Dinosaur World (http://dinosaurworld.com/texas/) is also there. It's actually sort of fun, especially if you have anyone in the group who's into dinosaurs!

We've done family get-togethers at houses in Wimberley and Brenham, but I don't think either of those locations would be super appealing to your family considering where you live!