PDA

View Full Version : Can you educate me on elderberry?

trcy
09-01-2016, 12:06 PM
I keep seeing talk about elderberry here. Do you take it daily or just when you feel something coming on? How much? Any particular brand? Do you give it to your DCs? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

azzeps
09-01-2016, 08:37 PM
When we feel something coming on, have something already, have spent time with sick people, we take it. I am looking for some gummies my kids will take daily (because basically being at school counts as "spending time with sick people" LOL. We have Honey Gardens elderberry syrup. It also has echinacea, bee propolis, apple cider vinegar and honey. The kids tolerate it, but it would be easier to dispense in a gummy on a daily basis.

georgiegirl
09-01-2016, 09:55 PM
Two winters ago, I religiously gave the kids elderberry and we were the sickest we've ever been. I probably spent $100 on elderberry gummies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mackmama
09-01-2016, 10:39 PM
I take it only when I feel something coming on or have been around sick people. I take the syrup by Gaia or Sambucol (usually the "intensive" dose on the box) or the pills by Gaia (but can rarely find the pills). I swear by elderberry and really love it. I do not give it to DC. It upsets DH's stomach but not mine.

jam224
09-01-2016, 10:53 PM
I keep seeing talk about elderberry here. Do you take it daily or just when you feel something coming on? How much? Any particular brand? Do you give it to your DCs? TIA!

I only take elderberry when I know I'll be around sick people or when traveling, which honestly isn't very often. Ideally, I should take it more regularly when flu season starts. I buy the Nature's Way Original Sambucus syrup for me. For DD, I give her a daily elderberry gummy, along with her gummy multivitamin, especially because she goes to school now (and kids are germy creatures!). I buy the Zarbee's Naturals for her. Technically, at age 4 they get 2 gummies per day, but considering how expensive they are, I ration it down to just 1 gummy per day.

When we feel something coming on, have something already, have spent time with sick people, we take it. I am looking for some gummies my kids will take daily (because basically being at school counts as "spending time with sick people" LOL. We have Honey Gardens elderberry syrup. It also has echinacea, bee propolis, apple cider vinegar and honey. The kids tolerate it, but it would be easier to dispense in a gummy on a daily basis.
We like the Zarbee's Naturals elderberry gummies!

marymoo86
09-01-2016, 10:59 PM
Some take as a preventative but we only do it to boost the immune system. I either but the natures way one or use a homemade recipe. Works well for us and clinically proven to be effective against 10 strains of flu :) I give to my girls and will take myself if needed.

twotimesblue
09-02-2016, 12:58 AM
We use the organic Sambucus and love love love it! Just last week, DS1 came home from school with a sniffle (there are several sick kids in his class). I dispensed the 'sick' dose of elderberry syrup (double the maintenance dose) and within 48 hours the sniffle had disappeared. It never developed past a very slightly runny nose.

In kindergarten earlier this year, DS's class was hit by a nasty virus... 23 out of the 25 kids were out sick at various points over a 2-week period (fevers of 105 degrees, coughs that lasted weeks... one of those). I was petrified as we had travel plans, and I was heavily pregnant and not wanting to have that sickness in my home. I dosed DS up on the elderberry, morning and night... he was one of only 2 kids to escape the sickness. Could it be a lucky coincidence? I guess. But I wouldn't be without that magic syrup in my home.

azzeps
09-02-2016, 01:33 AM
I only take elderberry when I know I'll be around sick people or when traveling, which honestly isn't very often. Ideally, I should take it more regularly when flu season starts. I buy the Nature's Way Original Sambucus syrup for me. For DD, I give her a daily elderberry gummy, along with her gummy multivitamin, especially because she goes to school now (and kids are germy creatures!). I buy the Zarbee's Naturals for her. Technically, at age 4 they get 2 gummies per day, but considering how expensive they are, I ration it down to just 1 gummy per day.

We like the Zarbee's Naturals elderberry gummies!

I was researching elderberry gummies on Amazon, and saw a review that said that the children's gummies are the same as the adult ones, just the dosage is different... haven't had a chance to go to the store and take a look at the labels, but I guess it comes out cheaper to buy the adult version, and instead of the adult does of 3 gummies, for a 4 year old, it would be 2 gummies, the same as the children's version. Haven't had a chance to see the price difference at Target, since I think they have them, but maybe you should check!

Twice now, DS has had a scratchy "frog" in his throat, and I've done a few days of elderberry and it's gone away and not developed. Perhaps if you catch things early, it works better.

Also, for immune defense for adults, I swear by Counter Attack. I am usually 50/50 at being able to fend off an illness by taking that stuff at the first sign.

Stay well!

wendibird22
09-02-2016, 10:06 AM
I take it when I feel a cold coming on. I use the Sambucus syrup and give the same to the kids.

ckso
09-02-2016, 11:56 AM
My whole family takes them as soon at the first sign of illness or if we're around sick people. Il also take them as preventing if we have travel plans or before their birthday parties

jam224
09-02-2016, 12:09 PM
I was researching elderberry gummies on Amazon, and saw a review that said that the children's gummies are the same as the adult ones, just the dosage is different... haven't had a chance to go to the store and take a look at the labels, but I guess it comes out cheaper to buy the adult version, and instead of the adult does of 3 gummies, for a 4 year old, it would be 2 gummies, the same as the children's version. Haven't had a chance to see the price difference at Target, since I think they have them, but maybe you should check!
I do have some adult gummies as well! The labels are pretty similar actually. The adult version has 50 mcg per 2 gummies and the children's version has 45 mcg per 1 gummy. FWIW, yes, children can take the adult version -- the label reads, "Adults and children 4 years of age and older, chew 2 gummies daily." Something about those "bumblebee" gummies though, that makes the children's version special for DD! ;)

pastrygirl
09-02-2016, 09:59 PM
I take two capsules a day when not sick, and increase to six/day when sick. I also have the "flu" elderberry melting tabs for when one of us feels really awful. If any of us gets sick, the rest start on elderberry syrup or gummies. But I'm the only one who takes it daily, and I rarely get sick anymore. If I do, it's usually just mild sniffles.

I've been taking elderberry for 3+ years now.