PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPhone Q

wellyes
09-02-2016, 10:31 AM
I need a new iPhone, one with wifi calling. Not sure of the carrier (Verizon now, want flexible) so will get SIM free.
I'm looking at the SE.
Do you think the SE price will go down with the announcement of the iPhone 7?

vonfirmath
09-02-2016, 11:53 AM
I need a new iPhone, one with wifi calling. Not sure of the carrier (Verizon now, want flexible) so will get SIM free.
I'm looking at the SE.

I hope so. Currently USED SE phones cost same as new!

I'm holding off buying until after the announcement to see how it affects prices.

94bruin
09-02-2016, 01:15 PM
I'm looking at the SE.
Can you please educate me about wifi calling? I just got a new galaxy phone this week and I think it's an option. Is this so calls can come thru on airplane mode?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Baby Bargains mobile app

khm
09-02-2016, 01:19 PM
Can you please educate me about wifi calling? I just got a new galaxy phone this week and I think it's an option. Is this so calls can come thru on airplane mode?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Baby Bargains mobile app

No, it is useful if you have poor cellular signal. The call works off wifi instead of cellular.

Airplane mode turns off all data, cell and wifi connectivity.

123LuckyMom
09-02-2016, 01:32 PM
I don't know much about wifi calling, but on my newer (iPhone 5&6) phones you can still use wifi in airplane mode. It does turn off cellular, though, so your phone doesn't use up its battery searching for a signal.

Wifi calling would be great for international travel!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

khm
09-02-2016, 02:16 PM
I don't know much about wifi calling, but on my newer (iPhone 5&6) phones you can still use wifi in airplane mode. It does turn off cellular, though, so your phone doesn't use up its battery searching for a signal.

Wifi calling would be great for international travel!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Interesting! I have Android and when I hit Airplane Mode I get a popup telling me it is turning off everything.

It says its turning off "calling, messaging, data and network. as well as wifi and bluetooth". It does say I can manually turn wifi and bluetooth on though.

wellyes
09-02-2016, 03:28 PM
I need wifi calling because I moved to a place with lousy reception. I can only get it take calls if u stand in a certain corner of my kitchen.

I keep forgetting and pacing as I talk, leading to dropped calls.

AnnieW625
09-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Why not just investigate the cost of getting a land or VOIP line or Ooma? We don't have lousy reception in our area but I still have a voip line through my cable company because the call quality is better. It was also only $10 more a month to get the voip line. I also hate holding a cell phone when I talk and will use the speaker instead for quick calls at the house or in my car, but if I need to have a private conversation with someone I prefer a phone handset vs. the cell phone.

ExcitedMamma
09-02-2016, 03:37 PM
I need wifi calling because I moved to a place with lousy reception. I can only get it take calls if u stand in a certain corner of my kitchen.

I keep forgetting and pacing as I talk, leading to dropped calls.

Check with your carrier. We had the same problem but got a free antennae booster from Verizon. Our neighbor's all have the same thing. It's great now we can make calls all over the house and yard. We did threaten to cancel our service when they tried to charge us a $100 bucks for it, which then became free.

khm
09-02-2016, 04:03 PM
Check with your carrier. We had the same problem but got a free antennae booster from Verizon. Our neighbor's all have the same thing. It's great now we can make calls all over the house and yard. We did threaten to cancel our service when they tried to charge us a $100 bucks for it, which then became free.

We have one too, also free, we're with Sprint. Just had to tell them our reception was bad. Mainly, my husband worked from home and would drop calls in the basement. It does help.

calebsmama03
09-02-2016, 04:37 PM
I just got an SE and I LOVE it! Such an upgrade over my old 5. I got a killer deal at Best Buy, which I found on Slickdeals ($240 PLUS a $200 best buy GC for new activation). If you're not on SD I'd highly suggest searching there daily till you find a deal. If you're not in a rush I'm certain you can find a good deal. You *just* missed a 64g refurb for $330. I don't know if the 7 will lead to lower SE prices since they're not really the same class of phone- I think it's more likely it will knock the price of the 6/6S models, but there are deals to be had on the SE if you are patient and willing to spend some time looking. Some of the deal on SD (esp phone deals) can be a little "grey area" so you need to decide what your tolerance is for shenanigans in getting a deal but there are definitely good deals every few weeks.

cmo
09-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Any inside info on when the new phone & prices (and lower prices on older models) will be released?

wellyes
09-02-2016, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the tips!
I saw those two Best Buy deals on Slickdeals....sadly after they ended, but I am jealous! Glad to know it does legitimately feel like an upgrade from the 5.

I have a landline, and I used to have OOMA- calling out wouldn't be a problem. But calling in often comes to my cell I need people to be able to call me wherever I am

Check with your carrier. We had the same problem but got a free antennae booster from Verizon. Our neighbor's all have the same thing. It's great now we can make calls all over the house and yard. We did threaten to cancel our service when they tried to charge us a $100 bucks for it, which then became free. Currently my carrier is NET10, which is $35 /month per person unlimited text, talk and data. But there are definitely no bells and whistles (or antennae booster). What I really need is a neighbor to get that booster!