PDA

View Full Version : Kids and technology at sleepovers

wendibird22
09-02-2016, 06:48 PM
If you have kids 10 or younger who have gadgets at home and they do sleepovers at friends' houses, do you allow them to bring technology...kindle fire, iPad, iPod, iPhone without phone plan (so basically an iPod)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
09-02-2016, 06:52 PM
Yes

georgiegirl
09-02-2016, 06:59 PM
I let DD bring her iPad just in case she can't sleep and wants to listen to music or read a book (in the dark). Not for playing with friends at the sleepoverz

nfceagles
09-02-2016, 10:11 PM
I send DS with his iPhone (not connected as a phone) because he listens to audiobooks at bedtime and he wakes very early. I don't want the parents dealing with a kid who can't get to sleep without his usual habits or have him waking everyone up early instead of quietly occupying himself.

KrisM
09-02-2016, 10:18 PM
Mine don't. DD had a sleepover and 1 girl brought an ipad. The others were playing games and she was watching videos by herself. The girls would want her to join in, but she wanted to watch instead. I thought it was a little odd. Now maybe she was not comfortable here and that is what worked for her. I'm not sure.

123LuckyMom
09-02-2016, 10:23 PM
No. My DS does use his phone at home for audiobooks and the like, but at sleepovers, he's there to socialize with others, not to be listening to or playing with his phone. The only time I allow DS to bring tech on playdates or sleepovers is when the host parent specifically requests it, because part of the play time will involve tech (like at a Minecraft party.)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

gatorsmom
09-02-2016, 11:07 PM
No.....but at sleepovers, he's there to socialize with others, not to be listening to or playing with his phone. The only time I allow DS to bring tech on playdates or sleepovers is when the host parent specifically requests it, because part of the play time will involve tech (like at a Minecraft party.)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

This is us too. The kids don't take their iPads to sleepovers for the above reasons.

mom_hanna
09-02-2016, 11:49 PM
Mine bring theirs because with ds, they are always playing Minecraft at some point in the sleepover, and with dd, they love to make their own videos together.

HannaAddict
09-03-2016, 01:23 AM
Many parents here send out short friendly emails pre-sleepover asking for kids not to bring electronic devices. We have asked kids to just leave them on the counter and not bring them in the bedroom and kids have been fine without them.

HannaAddict
09-03-2016, 01:28 AM
Many parents here send out short friendly emails pre-sleepover asking for kids not to bring electronic devices. We have asked kids to just leave them on the counter and not bring them in the bedroom and kids have been fine without them.

pharmjenn
09-03-2016, 02:39 AM
DS8 has only been to one sleepover, and hosted the same friend here once. Prior to the sleepover, DS told me he was told to bring his ipad as they were going to be playing games on each others tech. Thankfully, he forgot as we were heading out. And the other boy at the sleepover hadn't brought anything either, so it worked out.
At our house, I think they played on DS's ipad, but the other boy did not bring anything of his own. Mostly they were outside until dark and then watching movies on the tv till bed. As a sleepover should be.

liz
09-03-2016, 08:50 AM
A friend of mine requests the kids don't bring electronics. She knows of another party where girls were taking pictures of others without their knowledge. I'm not sure if it got passed around or posted on social media, but it wasn't good.

TwinFoxes
09-03-2016, 09:48 AM
Our sleepovers have all been scout events. They did not take electronics.

It seems like a ticket to problems with lost/broken devices.

JustMe
09-03-2016, 10:58 AM
My kids don't have their own devices. However, every single one of their friends have always bought their devices to sleepovers. I hate it and feel confused as to if I can/should limit it; I don't mean in the evening, night, or morning early but more during the day. I actually have more difficulty with them being used during the day/on regular playdates, when I feel the kids should be interacting/playing with each other. What is even more confusing/interesting, is that with ds' friends, its not like they want to do something together on the device, they want to do their own thing. Ds frequently asks me for the family ipad when a friend is over so they can each have their "own time". When I haven't given him the device, the friend will share his device so he gets it half the time and ds gets the other half.

AnnieW625
09-03-2016, 11:09 AM
My Dd1 has an old iPhone 4s she uses as a touch ad she has taken it with her and it has never been an issue. She has some friends who bring their Itouch with them and it doesn't bother me as they mainly use them just to text their parents (and I don't have an issue with Dd1 giving them the wifi code). Most of the time they stay in their bags unless they are playing garage band, iMovie or Musical.ly. I don't have a problem with that as they are being creative.

WitMom
09-03-2016, 02:02 PM
No. Never even occurred to me to send it along, and I don't think it's necessary.

Kindra178
09-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Depends on the age. The big one will - madden mobile!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

jerseygirl07067
09-03-2016, 02:27 PM
No. Maybe because I know my younger DD would not be able to self restrict her usage.

wendibird22
09-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Thanks all for sharing. We haven't let our DDs being tech...they haven't asked but we wouldn't permit it. We've hosted a few sleepovers this summer with DD1s friends...all 8/9 yr old. Each time at least one girl has brought an ipad or touch. My DDs only have kindle fire kid versions and we really monitor what apps they use or videos they watch on YouTube. I worry about what the other girls use/watch when they are in the playroom or at bedtime. I mostly worry about sharing of pics/videos on social media without my kids' knowledge. The other day was the first time that one girl asked for the wifi log in and it caught me off guard.