PDA

View Full Version : What do know before I purchase a leaf blower (hopefully today, if possible)?

JustMe
09-04-2016, 10:55 AM
So, we live under big oak trees. For the past 2 years, we raked the best we could--and last year I paid someone to do a big clean up when its over. Its too time consuming and I think I have been planning to buy a leaf blower for a long time. I am confused though--

An arborist had told me I should buy a gas backpack model since I have so many trees and it rains a lot in the winter. I am wondering if there is any way I can get away with a handheld model for several reasons..1) I would rather not have to buy gas and have less maintenance--I am pretty sure there are outlets all around the house..but I will go check. 2) Money...and probably some others. The reviews on-line are mixed about whether or not handheld models can handle this kind of job (even within the same model) .

OTOH, I want dc to be able to help and know the hand held ones get heavy for the hand--(the backpacks are heavy too..but I know dd, at least, would not have a problem). Also, not sure if the handhelds are strong enough to move lots of wet leaves? The yard is not teeny, but also not too large. One last complication, is that we do have pea gravel in the backyard, so I am not sure if it is possible to have a setting that would be strong enough to blow wet leaves, but not gravel?

Of course, I can go to the store and ask...but I am having such bad luck with salespeople that it would be great if anyone here knows.

egoldber
09-04-2016, 11:00 AM
How big is you lot? We have an acre with lots of oak trees. DH uses a backpack blower and it works really well. But it still takes us several hours each time (we have curbside leaf collection 3-4 times each fall).

JustMe
09-04-2016, 11:39 AM
How big is you lot? We have an acre with lots of oak trees. DH uses a backpack blower and it works really well. But it still takes us several hours each time (we have curbside leaf collection 3-4 times each fall).

I am bad at knowing how big things are. I looked on-line to see if I could figure this out, but still not sure. I know there it is nowhere near an acre..At most, it would be close to half an acre, but might even be less than this. The bigger issue would be that there are a lot of leaves--I think we have about 9 oaks.

How is the maintenance on the backpack blower and what kind to you have? Thanks!

lalasmama
09-04-2016, 12:32 PM
We got an electric one. It's about as powerful as .... a minor wind. Seriously, not much power once leaves get wet. It's also supposed to vacuum. Again, no help when it's wet. And I got the little attachment to make it go right into our garbage can.... which is no use when we can't blow/vacuum when it's wet.

Essentially, DH's Black and Decker leaf blower at the $90 price point is good for about 2 weeks of the year in Oregon :(

egoldber
09-04-2016, 12:47 PM
I think ours is not made anymore. It's a Stihl from the lower end of their professional line.

And what lalasmama complains about is why DH got the professional level. If you just need to blow a few light leaves or clean off your patio, a low end model is fine. But if you have a lot of leaves and especially wet leaves, you need a more powerful model.

There is really very little maintenance. You do need to make sure you empty the blower of gas at the end of the season before you store it.