PDA

View Full Version : 3 kids in a school...Open House night only has 2 sessions. WWYD?

WatchingThemGrow
09-04-2016, 01:58 PM
We never realized that having 3 kids close together would mean we always have to skip out on hearing/seeing one kid's classroom. When I was teaching, there were always 3 "sessions" at open house/back to school night. We've had to choose each year who would go to which classroom, but not going to the presentation means that you never get a feel for the teacher, the program, etc.

Not trying to be THAT parent, I asked if any of our 3 new to us teachers would be willing to let us come by their room either before or after the 2 sessions to at least peak at the classroom or tell us another time we can come into the room since we can't both make it to all 3 rooms. They each replied, "I'm happy to print a copy of the Google Slides presentation and stick it in a backpack." It felt a little cold to me, but maybe I'm just sensitive since we've had 2 crappy years for DD, which ended up with her requesting to be homeschooled half-way through last year.

I wrote back and said that an email link would be okay, and that we look forward to meeting them another time. What would you do at this point to make positive contact with them? FWIW, we are the ones with the hostile parent-loathing elementary-principal. No help there.

PZMommy
09-04-2016, 02:33 PM
My school only does 2 sessions as well. Can you and DH split up, so at least one of you makes it to a session for each child? That is what parents at my school do.

As a teacher there is no way I'd have a parent come after the second session. Our second session ends at 8pm, and since I will have been at school for over 12 hours by that point and have to be back early in the morning, I'm out the door the second the session ends. I want to get home and see my own kids. We have meeting before the event starts, so that is out as well. I'd be more than glad to let you stop by before or after school a different day to see the room. As for the presentation, I send home a copy of the presentation for parents who don't come that night.

jerseygirl07067
09-04-2016, 02:33 PM
We never realized that having 3 kids close together would mean we always have to skip out on hearing/seeing one kid's classroom. When I was teaching, there were always 3 "sessions" at open house/back to school night. We've had to choose each year who would go to which classroom, but not going to the presentation means that you never get a feel for the teacher, the program, etc.

Not trying to be THAT parent, I asked if any of our 3 new to us teachers would be willing to let us come by their room either before or after the 2 sessions to at least peak at the classroom or tell us another time we can come into the room since we can't both make it to all 3 rooms. They each replied, "I'm happy to print a copy of the Google Slides presentation and stick it in a backpack." It felt a little cold to me, but maybe I'm just sensitive since we've had 2 crappy years for DD, which ended up with her requesting to be homeschooled half-way through last year.

I wrote back and said that an email link would be okay, and that we look forward to meeting them another time. What would you do at this point to make positive contact with them? FWIW, we are the ones with the hostile parent-loathing elementary-principal. No help there.

We had that situation for one year as we had 3 kids in elementary for one year with only two sessions. My DH went to one and I went to two, but DH was such a bad recapper it was like having no one there. I'd buddy up with a really good friend who can give you the info. Most of ours is written out and they give you stuff to take home as it sounds like your teachers are doing. Then if you have further questions you can contact them, tell them you read the info but had a few follow up questions.

AnnieW625
09-04-2016, 02:36 PM
Our school does three sessions (pk-2; 3-5; 6-8), but is a pk-8 school. Parents did split up between classes if they had kids in multiple classes. The teachers also stayed for a few minutes after the session was over for any questions so in some cases the other parent came and talked to the other teacher.

KrisM
09-04-2016, 02:40 PM
That is a big bummer. Ours is one night per grade, so it works out for us. I'd probably go to one and leave halfway through and then get to another one late. If they think it's rude, they could have offered another idea to you. Or, do you know any parents in the classes? Ask them to record parts of it on their phone maybe? And take notes for you?

HannaAddict
09-04-2016, 02:42 PM
We have three kids at two schools and while it is too bad we can't attend everything for everyone, it isn't something that the teachers should have to accommodate or work longer or have their schedules disrupted for. We get the power point and I let s parent friend know that is attending the session I can't attend and they are more than happy to let me know what happened and was gone over during the presentation. I see the teachers at drop off and our school had short mini conferences at the start of school just for parents to say hi and share how the very start of school is going (15 minutes). I would not expect or ask s teacher to meet or stay later and sometimes we as parents just miss stuff. It doesn't seem cold at all to say they will give the presentati to you. And remember, it isn't going to be just one parent who wants something different and they just can't accommodate every person whose schedule doesn't line up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat
09-04-2016, 03:23 PM
I understand your frustration. Esp with the issues you've had in years past.

But I'd send dh to whichever session you're least worried about or get the powerpoint packet and request a meeting on another day with the teacher from which you're most worried about. Back to school night is crazy busy for the teachers and frankly, they want to get home and need to eat dinner before. :hug:

egoldber
09-04-2016, 03:40 PM
Maybe this is cold of me, but I would skip the BTS night for the youngest kid without a second thought. I think a lot of these events are geared toward the parents who have not had a child in that grade before.

Because my kids are so far apart, I have had this problem multiple times. The schools they have been in don't coordinate, so it has sometimes been a scramble to get from one school to another.

JBaxter
09-04-2016, 03:41 PM
Only 2 sessions here also. I drop Jack at 545 on the soccer field and will walk into the school for his 6pm session. Luckily the soccer fields are at his elementary school. Nathan ( 12) will be practicing on different field same complex. Middle school is the next night here.
we have a 6pm and 6:40. Imagine a 3rd session makes it run to long.

SnuggleBuggles
09-04-2016, 03:50 PM
I'd just cut out early from one of the sessions to hit another.

JBaxter
09-04-2016, 03:53 PM
Ours has the volunteer sign ups, info on the field trips what is the new changes in the curriculum and club/ after school activities all presented
Maybe this is cold of me, but I would skip the BTS night for the youngest kid without a second thought. I think a lot of these events are geared toward the parents who have not had a child in that grade before.

Because my kids are so far apart, I have had this problem multiple times. The schools they have been in don't coordinate, so it has sometimes been a scramble to get from one school to another.

Simon
09-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Our school only ever had 1 session followed by a period of drop in Q&A. Either parents split up or were just SOL for trying to cover multiple classrooms. It sounds like your Dd should have an adult at her presentation but I agree with skipping the youngest unless you have particular concerns about that child or teacher.

Dayzy
09-04-2016, 04:48 PM
My friend had 4 kids in the K-8 school we are at and we have 2 sessions. She left the kids home with a sitter and her husband took 2 and she took 2

Kindra178
09-04-2016, 05:02 PM
Our schools have only ever had two sessions, so Dh and I split up. Dh often leaves work and returns thereafter to attend open house. I would have no problem skipping the open house for the youngest kid because if you have had a kid go through that grade before, it's not a big deal to skip.

WatchingThemGrow
09-04-2016, 05:03 PM
OP here, and I'm a former teacher, so I totally understand the "wanna get home" thing. The sessions are 6:20 and 6:40 and 7:10, but the last one is just for specials teachers.

Our youngest has the only experienced teacher, but HE can't write worth anything, and his reading level is 4 letters lower because of it. I do have significance concerns. Maybe I'll just have a conference with her another time. DH was useless in explaining things the past 2 tries.

Good idea about seeing if there's another mom who will recap for me. DH will just tell me about the technology aspect and if there was a strong wifi signal in the space.

Oh, follow-up Q: do you get to go into the actual classroom or one in that grade level? We never get to see our kids' actual rooms.

WatchingThemGrow
09-04-2016, 05:03 PM
OP here, and I'm a former teacher, so I totally understand the "wanna get home" thing. The sessions are 6:20 and 6:40 and 7:10, but the last one is just for specials teachers.

Our youngest has the only experienced teacher, but HE can't write worth anything, and his reading level is 4 letters lower because of it. I do have significance concerns. Maybe I'll just have a conference with her another time. DH was useless in explaining things the past 2 tries.

Good idea about seeing if there's another mom who will recap for me. DH will just tell me about the technology aspect and if there was a strong wifi signal in the space.

Oh, follow-up Q: do you get to go into the actual classroom or one in that grade level? We never get to see our kids' actual rooms.

WatchingThemGrow
09-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Double post

MSWR0319
09-04-2016, 05:11 PM
I hear a lot of you talking about "sessions". What goes on during these sessions? Our school only has an open house style night. The classes are open for a certain time and you can go in, see the classroom, drop off supplies, and meet the teacher.

JBaxter
09-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Its a scripted what is going on this year mini program at ours With all the sign ups etc
I hear a lot of you talking about "sessions". What goes on during these sessions? Our school only has an open house style night. The classes are open for a certain time and you can go in, see the classroom, drop off supplies, and meet the teacher.

KrisM
09-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Ours is in the classroom and we get the info for the year, sign up for parties and conferences, etc. Kids have meet the teacher before that and our back to school night for parents is after school has started.

ett
09-04-2016, 06:42 PM
Our school has 2 nights, split between younger and older grades. I see parents leave in the middle to go to another class, like parents of twins. I think teachers would understand. Or like Beth suggested, skip the session of the youngest child.

jjjo1112
09-04-2016, 07:07 PM
We run into this problem every year with 3 kids in the same school. Usually what I do is pick the classroom that I have the most concerns with and schedule a private conference with that teacher. Then DH and I each go to one session for open house night. I don't really give the teacher a choice in my email- I usually just send something and say unfortunately I won't be able to make it to the open house, when can I set up a time to come in and meet with you to talk about the upcoming year and ... (whatever I want to find out). I have never had a teacher not agree to set up a time. I like to meet the teacher in person at the beginning of the year. Our conferences aren't until December/January so open house is really the only time to get a feel for the teacher and classroom.

PZMommy
09-04-2016, 07:15 PM

Our's is about three weeks into the school year. The parents all start out in the auditorium where the principal goes over the plan for the year. Many parents skip this part. Then there are two sessions. The first is 7-7:30, and then 7:30-8. During those sessions you go to your child's room and the teacher gives a presentation over what the expectations are for the year, procedures, policies, etc. It is more teacher specific than grade level specific. We have child care provided for the kids, as we would prefer to not have kids in the room, but many parents bring them in anyways. It is not a time to conference with the teacher and we make that very clear. We don't have our regular parent teacher conference until November, but of course we will meet with parents for a conference before then if they have a concern. Just not on that night!! Our's is really late time wise as I think most schools have theirs from 5-7. Our principal does her own thing and makes us do ours from 6-8, which is really too late, and many parents of the younger kids complain about the time. We maybe get 40% of our parents that come to BTS night, in the lower grades and by the time you get to the upper grades you only get a handful that actually come.

Cam&Clay
09-04-2016, 07:38 PM
I have many friends with 3 kids close in age. They split up on that night. It's no big deal.

jgenie
09-04-2016, 08:38 PM
Our plan is to each cover a classroom although last year DH was traveling so I ran to the first class to sign up for conferences then went to the older child's class for the presentation.

scrooks
09-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Ours is like this too! No presentations! There are sign ups for room parents and parties too. Its easy to hit 2 classes in the allotted 2 hours. I guess we are out of the norm.

ellies mom
09-04-2016, 11:22 PM
Our open house is one long session just before school starts. You go in, meet the teacher, fill out forms, find their desk, and drop off supplies. Other stuff (PTA, buying planners etc) is done in the gym. You can easily hit three classrooms in the time allowed. They have a curriculum night a few weeks later that is geared for the parents and is separated by grades. And then conferences are in the November time frame.

Honestly, none of the events prior to the conferences would be appropriate for an "I am having this particular issue/concern with my child" type conversation. They really are meant to provide information to as many people as possible in a short amount of time. Imagine if everyone tried to have that kind of conversation. I get why you are anxious to talk with your youngest child's teacher though. I'm in kind of the same situation. I'm just going to send the teacher an email later this week to share my concerns. In your case, I'd probably skip the session for the youngest and instead try and meet with the teacher on a one to one basis. Catch the two sessions for the older kids. Go over the powerpoint for the youngest and set up a meeting in the next couple of weeks.

ellies mom
09-04-2016, 11:23 PM
Double post.

Dayzy
09-05-2016, 09:38 AM
I think if you have specific concerns you will have to schedule a call or meeting with the teacher outside of the back to school night. Ours are 15-20 minutes long and it's just enough time for the teacher to let us know her classroom procedures, behavior expectations, and what the educational plan is for the year. There's a few minutes in there for a parent to ask a question related to the presentation, but not enough time for parents to speak with the teacher regarding individual children.

SnuggleBuggles
09-05-2016, 09:45 AM
PZMommy- we have lots of complaints about 5-7 and most of our events are 6-8 because we prefer it. Parents don't have to leave work early (or not by as much) to be able to attend of it starts at 6.

WatchingThemGrow
09-05-2016, 10:03 AM
Our open house is one long session just before school starts. You go in, meet the teacher, fill out forms, find their desk, and drop off supplies. Other stuff (PTA, buying planners etc) is done in the gym. You can easily hit three classrooms in the time allowed. They have a curriculum night a few weeks later that is geared for the parents and is separated by grades. And then conferences are in the November time frame.

Honestly, none of the events prior to the conferences would be appropriate for an "I am having this particular issue/concern with my child" type conversation. They really are meant to provide information to as many people as possible in a short amount of time. Imagine if everyone tried to have that kind of conversation. I get why you are anxious to talk with your youngest child's teacher though. I'm in kind of the same situation. I'm just going to send the teacher an email later this week to share my concerns. In your case, I'd probably skip the session for the youngest and instead try and meet with the teacher on a one to one basis. Catch the two sessions for the older kids. Go over the powerpoint for the youngest and set up a meeting in the next couple of weeks.

This is it for us - no curriculum night later. I just want to hear what they are telling, hear the questions others may ask, see what they tell will be different from the year before. For example, our kids will be having some kind of flex laptop thing I'd like to hear how they'll be using them. We aren't requesting a conference or wanting to talk about individual issues, but I want to hear how things will be set up.

Another kid in #3's class was here to dropoff for a playdate. She said she'll give me a rundown, and we'll set up a conference later with the teacher. Thanks all.

Green_Tea
09-05-2016, 11:46 AM
We have a true "open house" before school starts, during which kids and parents can wander around and visit classrooms and teachers. We also have a curriculum night. The K-2 teachers present in their own classrooms (sometimes individually, sometimes as a team) from 6-6:30 and the 3-5 teachers present from 6:45-7:15. Parents who have kids in multiple grade levels either split up or miss the one for the kid in the younger grade because they likely would have gotten the info in a previous year. I put out sign up for conferences and volunteering at curriculum night, but also sign people up via email.

Neither event is the right time to speak to the teacher about specific concerns about your student, though - that's really something for a separate phone call/conference.

PZMommy
09-05-2016, 11:49 AM
PZMommy- we have lots of complaints about 5-7 and most of our events are 6-8 because we prefer it. Parents don't have to leave work early (or not by as much) to be able to attend of it starts at 6.

That is why we moved it to 6-8 to make it easier for working parents, but now they complain it is too late. We can't win no matter which time we go with!

HannaAddict
09-05-2016, 11:57 AM

We have one session and two classrooms per grade and usually meet in one classroom with both teachers for the grade to go over the basics. It isn't the time to address concerns or learning challenges or anything more than general questions. Since you have specific concerns, I would see if you can make an appointment to address them and give the teacher a heads up. Hopefully the earlier teacher will have brought this up with the current teacher. We are at an independent school so not a cattle call, but would expect there isn't time to go over individual concerns at any back to school night. And I get great info from other parents! Better than from my spouse.