PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Yourself

anonomom
09-06-2016, 08:16 AM
This is kind of an embarrassing question, but for those who are at home during the day (or whose budget doesn't allow for buying lunch out) what do you do for lunches once the kids have gone off to school?

For the last 10 years, I've either just had the same thing I'm fixing for the kids or grabbed something on the fly while running errands. Now, for the first time, all of my kids are in school full time and I'm on my own for lunch, and it feels very weird to be buying and making food just for myself. I could use some ideas.

jgenie
09-06-2016, 08:25 AM
I generally try to eat light when I'm home on my own. I'll raid the fridge for leftovers or make myself a nice big salad. DH generally has salad for lunch at work so he grumbles if I serve it for dinner and DC won't eat salad. I vary what I include in my salads but I generally like avocado, beets, a nice cheese, beans, etc.

specialp
09-06-2016, 08:30 AM
I make myself 5 salads on Sunday to get me through the week. I usually add leftover dinner vegetables or protein to the top. If there are none, I have shredded crockpot chicken that I’ve frozen to add. Right now it is romaine & spinach and I add guacamole. In the winter I like to make a kale and brussel sprouts salad w/ almonds a lot.

belovedgandp
09-06-2016, 08:32 AM
I take one for the team and finish off leftovers a lot. DH used to take them all the time but he now has lunch provided every day, so he doesn't take lunch from home.

I'm not a big first thing breakfast, so I'll grab a small snack to start the day and make myself eggs or something at 10:30. I frequently eat two small meals at 10:30 and 2:00 because it fits my day time activity routine better. I eat a lot of apples and peanut butter.

SnuggleBuggles
09-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Dh takes the leftovers so I don't have that option. I do scrambled eggs or breakfast burritos
Chickpeas, brown rice and salsa
In the winter, I almost always make a batch of soup on Sunday and eat that most every day
Trader Joe's chicken tikka masala or Chana masala

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
09-06-2016, 09:09 AM
On some weeks I'll make something designed to be my lunches-- just an extra dish to hang around and be leftovers. On other weeks I cobble together a lunch from the snack stuff in the fridge, like veggies and hummus, or cheese, fruit, and nuts. I've sometimes made myself eggs. Sometimes I pre-make dinners and eat some of that before they become leftovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Kindra178
09-06-2016, 09:59 AM
Turkey and hummus lettuce wraps (with apple gate salami), scrambled eggs, leftovers or grocery store sushi rolls.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

mikala
09-06-2016, 09:59 AM
I still have kids home but often prepare something different for myself or give them the components of my lunch separately. I might use shredded chicken in toaster oven quesadillas for them and I'll have the chicken on top of a salad. I lived on caprese salads and blt sandwiches this summer with tomatoes from our garden. In the winter I make soup for dinner and eat leftovers.

BunnyBee
09-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Egg salad most days. Deli meat or pepperoni and cheese. Whatever veggies I have prepped. I don't fix anything fancy for myself.

MelissaTC
09-06-2016, 10:27 AM
I've been trying to make a little extra at dinner for leftovers. We have budgeted so we each get money for lunch but I don't use all mine. It's easier to eat in with a 2 year old most days!

BDKmom
09-06-2016, 10:51 AM
I have a hard time with this, too. Basically I do a hodge podge of all of the above. Some days it's leftovers, sometimes fruit and yogurt, maybe PB&J sometimes. Winter I do soups. I just don't really feel like taking the time to do anything that takes much effort in the precious few hours I have without kids (DD is just half-day for pre-k).

theriviera
09-06-2016, 10:57 AM
I make myself 5 salads on Sunday to get me through the week. I usually add leftover dinner vegetables or protein to the top. If there are none, I have shredded crockpot chicken that I’ve frozen to add. Right now it is romaine & spinach and I add guacamole. In the winter I like to make a kale and brussel sprouts salad w/ almonds a lot.

Are you doing this in mason jars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trcy
09-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Whatever I can find. Sometimes it's leftovers, sometimes a peanut butter sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

JBaxter
09-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Left overs or a salad of some kind

specialp
09-06-2016, 11:34 AM
Are you doing this in mason jars?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No. Just plastic rectangle containers. I do make sure the lettuce is dry the way you do with mason jar salads.

cvanbrunt
09-06-2016, 12:50 PM
I really give it no thought, just graze and eat what I can find. I sometimes have frozen Lean Cuisine or the like. I eat out while running errands maybe once a month.

marymoo86
09-06-2016, 01:07 PM
I generally try to eat light when I'm home on my own. I'll raid the fridge for leftovers or make myself a nice big salad. DH generally has salad for lunch at work so he grumbles if I serve it for dinner and DC won't eat salad. I vary what I include in my salads but I generally like avocado, beets, a nice cheese, beans, etc.

Salad, sandwich, generally it is usually a smoothie (cashew milk ,protein powder, chia seed, greens, frozen fruit) followed by a veggies/hummus snack later when I am WFH about 3 days a week.

citymama
09-06-2016, 04:41 PM
I work from home and eat leftovers exclusively!

maestramommy
09-07-2016, 03:31 PM
I eat dinner leftovers. I'm currently on a rather restricted diet (low fodmap, aka NO fodmap) so if there are no leftovers I tend to eat the same thing day after day. yes, very boring.