PDA

View Full Version : Parents of Kids with Allergies -- maybe a silly question?

anonomom
09-07-2016, 05:12 PM
I'm co-leading DD's brownie troop this year and two of the girls are allergic to peanuts. Several times during the year I have back-to-back meetings and I was making DD a PB&J for a quick dinner (and planning to have one myself) tonight when it occurred to me that this might not be the best idea. So, I have a two-fold question:

1. Generally speaking, will I pose a danger to the kids in the troop if I've eaten peanut butter within, say, 45 minutes of starting the meeting? I would wash my hands, of course.

2. Knowing that all kids are different and that the answer to #1 may differ from child to child, is it considered rude to ask the parents this question directly?

Kindra178
09-07-2016, 05:16 PM
1. No.

2. Not rude, but probably unnecessary.

Kindra178
09-07-2016, 05:16 PM
1. No.

2. Not rude, but probably unnecessary.

smiles33
09-07-2016, 06:06 PM
1. Depends on how sensitive the child's allergy is. I've read of kids having severe reactions to airborne peanut dust. My DD2 is allergic to peanuts but not particularly sensitive to airborne peanut dust. Sadly, her school doesn't have any limits on peanuts so she could be exposed on the playground to kids who just ate PBJs and didn't bother washing their hands. She is also responsible (from the time she started kindergarten!) to stand up and go to a separate table if a child sits down next to her with a PBJ. They don't have a nut-free table in the cafeteria.

2. Not rude at all. Parents would be immensely grateful you thought of this and are trying to prevent their child from being rushed to the emergency room.

AnnieW625
09-07-2016, 06:19 PM
I would ask the parent and if I were the parent of a food allergy kid I wouldn't think it was rude to ask.

I don't have any experience with #1 so I don't know the answer to that.

MSWR0319
09-07-2016, 08:02 PM
I'm co-leading DD's brownie troop this year and two of the girls are allergic to peanuts. Several times during the year I have back-to-back meetings and I was making DD a PB&J for a quick dinner (and planning to have one myself) tonight when it occurred to me that this might not be the best idea. So, I have a two-fold question:

1. Generally speaking, will I pose a danger to the kids in the troop if I've eaten peanut butter within, say, 45 minutes of starting the meeting? I would wash my hands, of course.
Not in general. Just wash your hands well with soap and water. There is a chance if you sneeze/cough, etc directly on the girls it could cause a reaction if they are contact reactive. DS would reactive if he got sneezed on. You're an adult though so I wouldn't worry to much about that! You know to cover your mouth. If the meeting is at your house, I would keep the kids out of the kitchen if you don't have time to clean it well.
2. Knowing that all kids are different and that the answer to #1 may differ from child to child, is it considered rude to ask the parents this question directly?
Absolutely not! I would be very appreciative if someone asked. I would think though if they were that sensitive the moms would have already told you.

My answers are in bold. DS is contact reactive which isn't super common.

Kindra178
09-07-2016, 10:51 PM
Airborne peanut dust reactions causing ana are extremely uncommon, if not unheard of.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

KpbS
09-07-2016, 11:34 PM
1. It depends. I feel most comfortable when kids have washed their hands and mouths after eating peanut butter. Kids are sloppy and it is very easy to get a smear of food on your hands/arm and have no idea.

2. I would appreciate a leader asking me this as a mom of FA kids.

MSWR0319
09-08-2016, 08:52 AM
1. Depends on how sensitive the child's allergy is. I've read of kids having severe reactions to airborne peanut dust. My DD2 is allergic to peanuts but not particularly sensitive to airborne peanut dust. Sadly, her school doesn't have any limits on peanuts so she could be exposed on the playground to kids who just ate PBJs and didn't bother washing their hands. She is also responsible (from the time she started kindergarten!) to stand up and go to a separate table if a child sits down next to her with a PBJ. They don't have a nut-free table in the cafeteria.

Did you know you have every right legally to ask for accommodations for her? She is eligible for a 504 if the school won't do anything without one. They have to provide her with a safe spot to eat, etc. My son's school makes everyone wash their hands if they packed their lunch and they even bought a portable sink to sit in the cafeteria. He also has a special desk that sits right at the end of the cafeteria table so he isn't left out. His class has to use wipes when they enter the room in the morning as well.

Airborne peanut dust reactions causing ana are extremely uncommon, if not unheard of.

Our allergist said there is no such thing as an airborne reaction, but what happens is the dust can enter a person's body through any type of mucus membrane from just flying around or being on someone's hands. At this point it becomes an ingested reaction and can cause anaphylaxis depending on how much was ingested and how sensitive you are.

OP, peanut butter can't cause an airborne reaction because it doesn't cause dust. Your concern would be more with contact reactions with PB.

Simon
09-08-2016, 02:01 PM
1. I would add brushing your teeth, and say you have your bases covered.
2. I never mind when people ask because it does vary so much from one child/family to another. IIWY, I would frame the question as "does your child have a history of contact reactions?" because that would be your answer being too personal. Also, if they said yes, then I would consider starting every meeting with hand washing for all kids.