PDA

View Full Version : Need acne help

KrystalS
09-07-2016, 10:21 PM
DD is 12 and has terrible acne. It has gotten progressively worse over the summer and I know part of it is hormones because it gets worse when she's on her period. I got her the Rodan and Fields Unblemish and it hasn't worked, in fact it has made her acne worse. She is on week 6 and we aren't seeing any results. I never had acne so I have no idea where to start. I know a lot of people like Paula's Choice but I'm completely overwhelmed. After using the R&F, I guess it is usually a 4 step process. She needs a face wash, toner, some type of spot treatment, and lotion? If I get a trial kit how long do I give it before we move on to something else? I know it's not going to work overnight but I don't want to make the problem worse by using the wrong products for weeks.

I am planning to take her to the dermatologist but we can't be seen for months.

georgiegirl
09-07-2016, 11:18 PM
I feel like acne is so hormonal. At her age, I don't think a good skincare regimen would make a big difference. I had horrible acne as a teenager, and nothing really helped. I even took accutane, which did help for a while. But then my acne came back a few years later and only went away when I went on birth control pills. After having kids I was fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trcy
09-08-2016, 06:51 AM
I have struggled with acne since I was about her age. Thankfully it is not as bad now. I have had luck with these products http://www.acnefree.com
IIRC, it's sold at target.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

mom2binsd
09-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Call another dermatologist (ask around, and also to be put on the cancellation list/beg for an appointment). I could have written your exact post two years ago.

Don't mess around with OTC stuff at this point.

DD is now 13, but at age 11 right when she started her period her face broke out like crazy, she was covered in pimples, I think we counted over 50 pimples!

I called around until I found a dermatologist who could take her asap, I explained to the nurse the situation, as she was headed to middle school in 6 weeks and she was a mess. We live in a small city of 150K and not many options, but I was determined for her to be seen.

The dermatologist said we really needed to get a handle on it before too much serious damage was done, and scaring occured. We went on a twice a day dose of Ampicillin as well as a oxy wash followed by a morning gel of clydamyacin and night cream of Tretoinin (retin A). It MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!!!

She still has some outbreaks, and it appears she's predisposed to acne (I think I had 3 pimples my whole life), so I'm glad we've got some good stuff that works.

We were able to cut back on the ampicillin and she uses the clindamyacin daily and the retin a when needed.

I love the dermatologist we found, she is great with DD.

cckwmh
09-08-2016, 05:26 PM
go to a dermatologist. there is no difference in active ingredients between companies/ brands over the counter, the only FDA approved ingredients over the counter are benzoyl peroxide, salicyclic acid, and sulfur. All of the different companies do marketing different, but R+F is no different than the cvs brand acne treatment. (I know many of you may not agree, but if you look at the actual published in medical journal/peer reviewed data on acne there is no difference between the products OTC).

I am a dermatology PA. The prescription meds will address the 4 mechanisms that contribute to acne. No OTC can address all 4.

urquie
09-08-2016, 06:16 PM
I am a dermatology PA. The prescription meds will address the 4 mechanisms that contribute to acne. No OTC can address all 4.

Thanks for the good info! Could you please tell me about for mechanisms that contribute to acne? I'd love to learn more (especially for my DD). :-)

cckwmh
09-08-2016, 07:24 PM
Sure!

Basically what happens with acne (in puberty)
1. - the epidermal cells in the follicules start dividing rapidly which clog the pores
2 - excess sebum production in those pores which further lead to clogging (usually triggered by hormones)
3 - active bacteria p. acnes, which basically feeds on the clogged pores and overgrow
4 - inflammation

the aad has some good info on it.
https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/acne-and-rosacea/acne#treatment

benzoyl peroxide is antibacterial, but not an antibiotic. it can penetrate the pores to an extent and help unclog the pores somewhat. studies show the % of benzoyl peroxide doesn't matter - 2% works as well as 10%. The lower the % benzoyl peroxide the better it is tolerated. products like proactiv have a lower concentration of benzoyl peroxide, which is more tolerable.

If you or any of your kids on on topical antibiotics or oral antibiotics for acne, a benzoyl peroxide product (leave on or wash) is essential because it prevents antibiotic resistance from developing.

salicylic acid basically increases cell turnover, which helps treat/prevent comedones(blackheads).

KpbS
09-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Whatever you do, don't let her take accutane! Lots of side effects and potential long term side effects. :(

Make sure she washes in the morning and evening with a mild soap (like Dove sensitive) and warm water. Also, make sure her pillow cases are clean and she washes her hair daily. You can change out the cases every few days and that helps.

Hope you can get a cancellation appt soon. Hang in there!

cckwmh
09-09-2016, 06:47 AM
my office does not have a cancellation list except for surgical procedures, but I tellpatients all the time to call about 30 minutes after the office opens because people cancel all the time. it is the best way to get an earlier appointment. also, many pediatricians will prescribe some topicals for acne ( clindamycin, epiduo, tretinoin). if you cant wait start there.

In terms of accutane, any dermatologist that would give it to a 12 year old or at the first visit you should run away from. It is a life changing medication for some, and definitely worth the risks in the right patient. it is a last resort medication and not one that should even be discussed at an initial visit.

trcy
09-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Whatever you do, don't let her take accutane! Lots of side effects and potential long term side effects. :(

In terms of accutane, any dermatologist that would give it to a 12 year old or at the first visit you should run away from. It is a life changing medication for some, and definitely worth the risks in the right patient. it is a last resort medication and not one that should even be discussed at an initial visit.
I was on accutane and totally agree it should not be a first (or second, or third...) choice. But in my case, we tried every other option first. There was literally no other options and I had been dealing with acne for years. It was causing emotional problems for me. I begged my mom to let me try it; she was very resistant. So no, it's not the best option, but sometimes it's needed. Honestly, I think my years of dealing with acne caused long term side effects.

mickminmom
09-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Thanks to OP for posting question and to cckwmh for sharing this soooo very helpful info!!

mom2binsd
09-09-2016, 11:05 AM
My DD has had excellent results with using an oral antibiotic like ampicillin along with the facial wash and two types of topical (prescription) creams/gels. Like cckwmh posted, there's a lot going on and some kids really need the dermatologist to intervene, as you don't want to end up with acne scars, and the self esteem part is also huge with a preteen/teen (or anyone for that matter).

mom2binsd
09-09-2016, 11:13 AM
My DD has had excellent results with using an oral antibiotic like ampicillin along with the facial wash and two types of topical (prescription) creams/gels. Like cckwmh posted, there's a lot going on and some kids really need the dermatologist to intervene, as you don't want to end up with acne scars, and the self esteem part is also huge with a preteen/teen (or anyone for that matter).

cckwmh
09-09-2016, 02:42 PM
I was on accutane and totally agree it should not be a first (or second, or third...) choice. But in my case, we tried every other option first. There was literally no other options and I had been dealing with acne for years. It was causing emotional problems for me. I begged my mom to let me try it; she was very resistant. So no, it's not the best option, but sometimes it's needed. Honestly, I think my years of dealing with acne caused long term side effects.

glad it worked for you. I love treating acne, because it can really change a teens self esteem and acne is linked to depression. I love it when a kid comes in, won't make eye contact or speak to me- three months later at the follow up he/she is happy, engaged in the visit.

take pictures if whoever you see does not. So many teens think they made no improvement until I show them the photo of the
last visit. The picture will also show lack of improvement or worsening.

urquie
09-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Sure!

Basically what happens with acne (in puberty)
1. - the epidermal cells in the follicules start dividing rapidly which clog the pores
2 - excess sebum production in those pores which further lead to clogging (usually triggered by hormones)
3 - active bacteria p. acnes, which basically feeds on the clogged pores and overgrow
4 - inflammation

the aad has some good info on it.
https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/acne-and-rosacea/acne#treatment

benzoyl peroxide is antibacterial, but not an antibiotic. it can penetrate the pores to an extent and help unclog the pores somewhat. studies show the % of benzoyl peroxide doesn't matter - 2% works as well as 10%. The lower the % benzoyl peroxide the better it is tolerated. products like proactiv have a lower concentration of benzoyl peroxide, which is more tolerable.

If you or any of your kids on on topical antibiotics or oral antibiotics for acne, a benzoyl peroxide product (leave on or wash) is essential because it prevents antibiotic resistance from developing.

salicylic acid basically increases cell turnover, which helps treat/prevent comedones(blackheads).

Thank you so much for sharing this information!

lmintzer
09-09-2016, 08:37 PM
My 15-year-old son started breaking out on his chin this spring. We couldn't get a handle on it all summer, so I took him to the ped for the first step. He prescribed a 10% Benzoyl Peroxide wash for the shower plus EpiDuo (which is a mix of Adapalene and Benzoyl Peroxide). I was hoping for an antibiotic gel, as Benzoyl Peroxide can bleach sheets and towels. But this is "safer" in case he forgets to use it on any given night (you don't want to skip doses of an antibiotic). So we are giving it a try. He's been on it for 2 weeks, and we are seeing improvement. No bleaching of anything yet, though I put some old sheets on his bed just to be safe. I would go straight to a dermatologist if your child's acne is anything other than mild--it's best to get on top of it, for sure.

JustMe
09-11-2016, 02:17 AM
I am just seeing this now, but wanted to post our experience.

Dd is 13. We have been using apple cider vinegar for quite a while when she gets acne. We do a 1:1 water/apple cider vinegar solution and keep it in an old liquid soap bottle in the bathroom. She uses the flat round cotton pads (and sometimes just regular cotton) go apply. I forget if I told her if she should use any soap after that or just rinse and definitely not sure what she does, but it seems to work here. I know there are a lot of crazy claims about apple cider vinegar (and that it can be too acetic for some--I believe you can also do one third acv to two-third water), but it really seems to take care of the acne for my dd.

Green_Tea
09-11-2016, 08:42 AM
If you can't figure out a dermatologist that can see her quickly, I'd go to the pediatrician in the meantime. They should be able to prescribe something to get her started.

Kindra178
09-16-2016, 10:36 AM
I would not be afraid to use accutane if it comes to that. Life changing for me - I should have done it sooner.

I would also consider eliminating dairy and sugar. I know that is potentially super difficult - I wish someone had told me that years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

AnnieW625
09-18-2016, 08:07 AM
I used the Unblemished line in 2005 (it was sold in stores then) when I was pregnant and it made my acne worse too; thankfully I was able to return it. I am outlier and can't stand Paula's Choice products either; I tried them in my early twenties so late 1990s-early 2000s when the line was fairly new (I had persistent acne until I was 26) and it just didn't work. I figured it was the topical salicylic acid (aka BHA).

TBH if you can get her into a dermatologist ASAP do that, and tbh the more products she uses the more it could be complicating the problem. Aczone, and Benzaclin are great acne creams, and don't be surprised if the derm. prescribes something strong like Tazorac or Retin A because they do dry the skin out. Oral meds like tetracycline, and minocycline are great if she can swallow pills. I started seeing the deem. at 15 and wish I would've started sooner. The derm will also keep it simple and recommend brands like Dove soap, And maybe a 2% or 4% acne wash, but nothing super complicated or along the lines or R+F.

For OTC I would recommend Kiehl's Blue Herbal gel cleanser, which I started using in my mid 20s and that has helped with my acne as well and a little goes a long way. It has made blackheads and most cystic acne easier to deal with. They also make a blue herbal toner which I use sparingly and mainly after I have put a lot of sunscreen on my face or my skin is overly oily.

I also used Accutane when I was 18 and it did work wonders for my acne, but I had tried everything else at the time (1995) and had been under a dermatologist's care for three years before I took it. With Accutane you have to take a monthly pregnancy test as well so keep that in mind (because the high levels of vitamin A can cause serious birth defects and an abortion is required if you are prgnant and on Accutane). I was not sexually active at 18 so it was a non issue for me, but I still had to test monthly. At 20 I did have to go back on oral acne meds and was on them until I was 26 and stopped eating wheat on a really regular basis to deal with constipation IBS (but that is not something I would recommend for a 12 yo unless gluten intolerance and or constipation is already an issue), but in general I was happy with Accutane, and I wish I would've taken it sooner (only because having acne in high school was a total pita). My lasting side effects are dry insides of my nose, dry skin, and sensitivity to detergents (can't use regular Tide), I can't wash with various bar soaps so I stick with Dove, and if I need to use a body wash instead I use Olay.

barkley1
09-20-2016, 07:13 PM
This is all great advice - some thoughts: I did oral abx as a teen. They did work somewhat, but looking back, that explains a LOT of loose stools, IBS symptoms, and heartburn (from taking them immediately before bed w/ not enough water). So, I was miserable a lot, but didn't know why. and either I didn't share w/ my mom, or she just gave me Immodium or something - my fault for not seeking out more help, but that was my personality and I didn't know better.

I also took Accutane when I was in my early 20's. My family dermatologist wouldn't give it to me, and almost ridiculed me for asking. Then I went to see a woman dermatologist with an entire sheet of paper filled with everything I had tried. She agreed it was time and it was the best thing EVER. I've only had a handful of zits since then in the past 15 years, and that's being lax on washing my face every night. Only now at 38 am I starting to see more pop up, and I guess it's hormonal old age stuff. I don't know what the supposed long term effects are, but as far as I can tell, I don't have any.

calebsmama03
09-23-2016, 09:35 PM
^^ I'll agree re long term oral abx. I did oral abx as a teen and they did help a little at first but I wish I had never taken them and could go back in time with what I know now. I ended up with recurrent yeast infections in college and the medicated creams would cause so much irritation that I would then get a bladder infection every time. I used so much monistat and prescription creams that I developed a sensitivity to them and cannot use them any more, ever (imagine the worst skin reaction you've ever had - down there!!). Given the rise of abx resistant bacteria in general due to rampant overuse and the fact that acne bacteria are also becoming resistant to oral abx, it's not a decision I would ever make again. Maybe a short course (1-2mos max) while working on the underlying cause but I really feel those long courses of oral abx ruined my health and are part of the reason why I was SO sick so often in college (I had lots of other issues with strep and bronchitis that wouldn't respond to abx). Derms in general ended up being a giant waste of money for me, as they were just managing the symptoms instead of treating the underlying cause. I never had severe acne so something like acutane was never even a consideration, and some of their recommendations actually made things worse (like going on BCPs!)

I had cyclic hormonal acne off and on through my 20's and 30's. Frustrating! Once I discovered that hormonal BCPs and the depo shot were making me break out like crazy and I quit them it helped tremendously, but after my last baby (5 years ago) my hormones went haywire again and I was breaking out more. Quite by accident (doing an elimination diet with DH for his migraines) I discovered that completely cutting out gluten and cutting WAY back on dairy made a huge difference. No more inflammatory acne. I can tell if I accidentally get gluten because within a few days I break out in huge painful bumps on my cheek (I can tell before then, but the breakout confirms it was gluten and not a stomach bug!)! I still get mild small pimples here and there around my period or ovulation but nothing awful. I also discovered that the advice I'd always been given about not exfoliating "too much" was the opposite of what I needed. My skin doesn't turn over well on its own. I now use my clarisonic daily and I use an enzyme/aha cleanser with it. I use a mild AHA serum daily, as well, and do glycolic or lactic acid peels about once a month. I do need to be careful not to be too aggressive right around when I do the peels but if I back off this regime my skin goes bonkers. I discovered this many years ago, and the dietary changes finished it off. I'd highly recommend looking into Makeupartistschoice.com They are incredibly helpful and if you send photos they will help you determine products that could help. They offer sample sizes so you aren't out a ton of cash. Top notch products and great c/s. I like the mandellic acid products and use them off and on (peel, serum, and toner) but I love their niacinamide serum, lac-luronic, and gly-luronic serums. I rotate among them but I think I've finally narrowed it down that my fave is the lac-luronic (lactic acid and hyaluronic acid). I am probably not spelling any of these correctly, btw! ;) I also use their peels monthly or as needed.

This is not to say that every skin type needs this, but to point out that there is definitely no one-size-fits-all approach and to be open to trying other things and going against the grain to see if it helps her. In retrospect I wish I'd completely skipped the abx and BCPs!

KrystalS
10-16-2016, 04:11 PM
Update:
I'm not sure how to edit the title but I wanted to update this thread.
Took DD to the dermatologist about 2 weeks ago. He prescribed Minocycline (antibiotic) and Clindamycen gel. She has been on the medication for less than 2 weeks and her face is already getting better. For anyone on the fence about taking your teens to the dermatologist, GO! DD is so happy to have her face looking better. She hasn't had any side effects from the antibiotic so far. She washes her face twice daily with Cetaphil and uses the gel. He recommend Cetaphil lotion if her face gets dry but she hasn't experienced this at all. Her face has always been very oily and it's finally just normal now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
10-16-2016, 10:10 PM
Glad you got her seen finally and are seeing results! I can't believe it took so long though! I love love love our dermatologist, she is great with DD and since we've seen her, her acne it totally under control, and now that we have an established relationship its so easy to be seen for all the other skin issues (warts/weird fungus on feet etc) that seem to come up! At times we find we do need to use a benzol peroxide facial wash, but Cetaphil and the clindamycen and antibiotics works well. I am so sad when I see kids who have raging acne and their parents refuse to see a dermatologist because they say it's just part of growing up!

Meatball Mommie
10-18-2016, 10:55 AM
So happy to read the update! This is such a huge problem for adolescents and teenagers and I'm always happy to hear positive results. Thanks to everyone , especially cckwmh, for posting their experiences and info - I'm definitely filing it away for future use. DS1 is just entering this stage at 13...some minor pimples, but I notice a lot on his peers. I know one of his close friends has already seen positive results from a dermatologist prescribed regimen, so I won't hesitate to take my two boys.

Oddly enough, my perimenopausal hormones are causing me major skin issues. I just started the R+F regimen and like it so far. I am on week 3 and my face is clearer than it has been in a few years. My SIL had to go to a dermatologist to clear her acne at 40. Both of us had clear skin as teenagers and up until we hit 40. I need to figure out how to fix the scarring on my forehead. I'm polka-dotted lol