PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy tween girl clothing that is "cool" but not hoochie mama?

citymama
09-13-2016, 04:00 PM
10.5 yr old DD is rejecting the mini Boden/Tea Collection/Hanna clothing I have been buying for years. Understandably so, even though I have only been buying her the more age-appropriate items from those brands in recent years. Where do you all shop for your tween girls? In particular, for pants and bottoms. She is slim but not skinny (has a butt!), so hates super skinny fitted clothing even though that is the look all the girls around her have. She likes the "slim sweats" kind of look - pull-on pants that are straight rather than baggy.

Thanks for any suggestions!

SnuggleBuggles
09-13-2016, 04:07 PM
Old Navy, American Eagle, Gap, Aeropostale...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
09-13-2016, 04:44 PM
I was just going to post a question about where everyone buys their tween's clothing. DD is the same age, and I took her shopping over the weekend as she had outgrown all of her pants and long sleeves. She hates anything girly: no sparkles, rainbows, lace, glitter, hearts, pink, etc. to make matters worse, she's very broad across her chest and shoulders from being a competitive swimmer (and from starting to develop boobs.). She wears a 12 pants and a 14 top. We had good luck at Old Navy (they had those slim sweat pants...DD picked a pair of grey ones.) she didn't like old navy jeans though. She likes jeggings from Gap (they have an elastic waistband) plus Target has some jeggings she liked as well, Cat and Jack brand. Old Navy and Target had the best styles for her taste.

These are the slim joggers she liked from Old Navy. DD said they were very soft and comfy.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1024948&vid=1&pid=340033002

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

citymama
09-13-2016, 05:35 PM
I was just going to post a question about where everyone buys their tween's clothing. DD is the same age, and I took her shopping over the weekend as she had outgrown all of her pants and long sleeves. She hates anything girly: no sparkles, rainbows, lace, glitter, hearts, pink, etc. to make matters worse, she's very broad across her chest and shoulders from being a competitive swimmer (and from starting to develop boobs.). She wears a 12 pants and a 14 top. We had good luck at Old Navy (they had those slim sweat pants...DD picked a pair of grey ones.) she didn't like old navy jeans though. She likes jeggings from Gap (they have an elastic waistband) plus Target has some jeggings she liked as well, Cat and Jack brand. Old Navy and Target had the best styles for her taste.

These are the slim joggers she liked from Old Navy. DD said they were very soft and comfy.

Thank you! This is exactly what we need. Did your DD get the size 10-12? My DD is about 57 inches tall, 70 lbs.

georgiegirl
09-13-2016, 05:55 PM
Thank you! This is exactly what we need. Did your DD get the size 10-12? My DD is about 57 inches tall, 70 lbs.

Yes, I got her the 10-12. She's a hair taller than your DD and 15 lbs more. She was too lazy to try on the 14s. I will probably buy them for her to wear once she outgrows the 10-12s.

egoldber
09-13-2016, 06:55 PM
Aeropostale and Abercrombie Kids have been our go to stores lately.

boolady
09-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Old Navy, Aero, Abercrombie Kids, Nordstrom.

bigsis
09-13-2016, 07:59 PM
My 13yo DD likes Aero, H&M, and Old Navy as well. She dresses modestly.

mom2binsd
09-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Justice, it gets a bad rap, there are lots of cute, non blingy things there and we were happy with how everything washed up. There's a thread about Justice here.

At her size, Aero may be too big, my DD is 13 and wears small or xsmall there, and she's 5'2 and 100 lbs. Old Navy girls dept has cute stuff. Gap, but their stuff is expensive unless on sale.

SASM
09-13-2016, 09:23 PM
I wish this was our issue. DD1 hates anything that isn't soccer shorts and tees. She might wear an Old Navy super skinny denim (when it it is sub-40*) with a tee and hoodie but that's about as fashion-forward as she gets. I look forward to using this list at some point. My girls are so different.

daisysmom
09-14-2016, 01:44 PM
Justice, it gets a bad rap, there are lots of cute, non blingy things there and we were happy with how everything washed up. .

my DD is 9.5, but would shop exclusively at Justice if it were up to her. We did grab a few of the new Cat & Jack things at Target this year. I like those old navy sweats for me!

wendibird22
09-14-2016, 03:34 PM
I had luck at JCP for 9yo DD. Arizona brand jeans and a bunch of tops that are "mature" but not sleazy. A few are plaid button downs with a subtle lace detail on the back and one was 3/4 sleeve shirt w a lace bottom hem that gives it a layered look.

And yes, usually Justice too but I managed to avoid that for back to school shopping.

wendibird22
09-14-2016, 03:35 PM
And those joggers are cute. Wonder if I could wear a child 16 (I'm only 5'1").

mom2binsd
09-14-2016, 09:28 PM
I want to check those Old Navy joggers too, but I sometimes find that girls pants just don't account for my butt or thighs, I"m not huge, but definitely curvy, I wear a size 2/4 pant and am 4'11". Sometimes the girls pants are too long too!

westwoodmom04
09-14-2016, 09:35 PM
My dd got cool on Justic by fourth grade. Fortunately, she wears a uniform to school. Otherwise, iviva, vineyard vines, Nordstrom, Zara . , ,

gymnbomb
09-15-2016, 09:33 AM
And those joggers are cute. Wonder if I could wear a child 16 (I'm only 5'1").

I am 5'3" and wear size 2/4 pants and can frequently wear kids sizes. My favorite jeans are Gap kids size 16s. But I find that Old Navy kids sizes run a little smaller and I don't have as much luck wearing them. Maybe not the case with something like joggers though?

citymama
09-15-2016, 12:43 PM

Wow, those joggers popped out of my cart - sold out less in bigger sizes than 24 hours after you posted! Maybe a lot of ON shoppers on BBB? At any event, they had a 30% off ON code yesterday so I bought DD a few things, and also from Cat & Jack at Target, so she has a new, relatively inexpensive wardrobe coming her way. 6 tops and 3 pants/jeans for $75 shipped. I'll report back when we get it. There's one Johnnie B top she really wants so that can be her splurge BTS item. I really wish I liked the clothes more, but I let her choose her wardrobe with some vetoes on my part.

Still need to get her the Converse high-tops she wants, and then I think we're set! Anyone know where to get a good deal on those? Thanks for all the good ideas!

daisysmom
09-15-2016, 01:48 PM
We had to get converse high tops for a dance recital last year (hip hop) and my DD is a women's size 6... ugh they were $55.00!! I could not find any cheaper deal for white ones.

mom2binsd
09-15-2016, 06:30 PM
I am 5'3" and wear size 2/4 pants and can frequently wear kids sizes. My favorite jeans are Gap kids size 16s. But I find that Old Navy kids sizes run a little smaller and I don't have as much luck wearing them. Maybe not the case with something like joggers though?

You must have a very tiny behind!!!! NO way my booty fits in kids jeans! Sweats yes if the legs are bigger, but jeans no way!

gymnbomb
09-15-2016, 07:48 PM
You must have a very tiny behind!!!! NO way my booty fits in kids jeans! Sweats yes if the legs are bigger, but jeans no way!

They are hit and miss, but the part that gives me trouble most often is thigh room! That is actually the case with ladies jeans and pants too. This whole skinny jeans/pants thing is going to kill me!

TwinFoxes
09-15-2016, 10:29 PM
OP, you might try H&M Kids.

I wish this was our issue. DD1 hates anything that isn't soccer shorts and tees. She might wear an Old Navy super skinny denim (when it it is sub-40*) with a tee and hoodie but that's about as fashion-forward as she gets. I look forward to using this list at some point. My girls are so different.

Yeah, my girls STILL 100% let me do all of the shopping. While I feel for the people whose daughters are picky, I wish mine would take even a vague interest. They have never not once refused to wear what I've picked out. I'd like to chalk it up to my awesome taste, but really it's their complete lack of caring.

citymama
09-16-2016, 03:55 AM
Yeah, my girls STILL 100% let me do all of the shopping. While I feel for the people whose daughters are picky, I wish mine would take even a vague interest. They have never not once refused to wear what I've picked out. I'd like to chalk it up to my awesome taste, but really it's their complete lack of caring.

Heads-up - my DD is 2 years older than yours. She pretty much let me purchase what I liked all these years and still asks me to set out her clothes in the morning. She hasn't objected until 5th grade when kids apparently care more about looking cool. (Qualifying statement: she did say "no dresses" at around the age your girls are, and I know her likes and dislikes so I've been purchasing based on what I think she'll like. But generally, I've had a wide berth so far. DD2 on the other hand, has been exercising her veto since age 1 when she screamed blue murder if I ever tried to get a dress on her.)

AnnieW625
09-18-2016, 08:25 AM
The bulk of DD1's clothes have been coming from Target, JC Penney, Old Navy, Levi's skinny jeans from Costco (I know this doesn't help you.....sorry), and she has been loving her knit shorts from Hanna Andersson, and I just bought her two more pairs at Hanna outlet in Livermore for $10, and $15. DD1 never got into Boden and doesn't ask to go to Justice much (that was a big thing in 2nd-3rd grade), but mom2binsd is right if you pick through things their are some things like their denim that aren't trashy and wear quite well. DD1's non knit shorts this year all came from Old Navy. I also picked her up a great summer dress at The Children's Place.

ang79
09-19-2016, 09:28 PM
DD1 just turned 10 and is now in our Intermediate school building (4th - 6th grade), so she is taking much more interest in her appearance (though she kinda started with matching accessories and jewelry last year in 3rd grade). She is very picky on clothes, I usually can't buy stuff without her along (or I buy it and bring it home for her to try and a lot gets vetoed). For summer most of her clothes were from Target (graphic tanks and tees and denim bermuda shorts), as well as some skorts from Lands End and Kohls. We got some jeans from Old Navy for BTS. She is skinny and needs the adjustable waist band. Last year she loved the cotton play dresses from Lands End with leggings and boots, we'll see if she is still into that look this year. She recently discovered camis and likes to wear those under cardi sweaters and ponchos. The bulk of my girls clothes come from Target, Old Navy, and Kohls because that is what we have locally, and some things I order from Lands End. Its getting harder to find cute and age appropriate stuff at Kohls now that she is getting into bigger sizes though.

Where do you buy athletic clothes from tweens? DD has joined a running club at school but has vetoed all the shorts she has tried on at local stores. The ones in her normal size fall off of her and the size below is too tight. Right now she is wearing bike shorts and regular tank tops but the bike shorts she has are pretty darn short. They run til the begininng of Nov. so she will probably need running leggings later on.

Neatfreak
09-20-2016, 12:01 AM
For my DD's (she's 12) athletic gear, I usually shop at Old Navy or Joe Fresh. The price point is right, and she's hard on athletic clothes.

People who are shopping at Aeropostale for their tween - are you looking at the adult section, or the PS Kids section? I'm curious because my DD usually says that even the XS in the adult section is far too large for her. She wears L or 10/12 at Old Navy.

georgiegirl
09-20-2016, 12:01 AM
We get DD athletic gear at Old Navy, Target, and the Nike outlet.

citymama
09-20-2016, 02:08 AM
If you want to spend a little more, Athleta Girl has some really nice things. I want to see if I can fit into some of it!

DD1 loves her Cat & Jack purchases from Target - we're still waiting on the ON order. Also found a cool Tea Collection bomber jacket at a sample sale that I had bought a year ago and stashed away for later. Later is now and I wish I had one like it!