PDA

View Full Version : ISO Seaworld (CA) advice/tips/thoughts? Anyone did the Dine with Shamu?

ckso
09-14-2016, 03:10 AM
We're planning a weekend trip to San Diego on 10/8, just 2 days 1 night. My kids (5 and 8) have never been and it's been at least 15 years since I last went. Is SeaWorld a 1 day thing or 2?? Also trying to decide if we should try to go on a Saturday or Sunday.

Also, is Dining with Shamu worth the money? And if we did Dine with Shamu, is that essentially like watching the One Ocean show with food? Or is that difference and we should try to catch the show too?

They close early in October but they have the "kids go free" promo that I want to take advantage of.

any advice greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!!

PunkyBoo
09-14-2016, 10:51 AM
I haven't been in a few years, but we've been too sea world many times. It's definitely a 1-day park (if you have a second day, I recommend driving over to the Safari Park). Sea World is great. We did Dine with Shamu when DS1 was about 4 (so that was about 8 years ago- wow times flies!) We loved it. Granted DS1 was a major animal lover and dreamed of working with animals when he grew up. We had lunch there-it was definitely expensive, but the proximity to Shamu and the opportunity to talk directly with a trainer was invaluable at that time in our lives. It was very different from the shows. I figured, we would have to buy lunch anyway, which is pretty expensive to start with. So the incremental cost of the experience was definitely worth it for us.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Baby Bargains mobile app

sariana
09-14-2016, 01:19 PM
We go every year (military special) and always go for only one day. But we go every year. So we don't need to see every show every time. It might be worth a second day depending on what your kids like, but only if you get a second day free. It's not worth the cost for two days, IMO.

You will want to get a show schedule and plan your day. (We always do this when we get there. I'm not sure if the show times are available in advance or not.) Depending on crowds, you may need to arrive at shows 30 minutes ahead or more. Normally October would not be crowded, but if there is a special promotion, that may change things.

Your kids are young enough to enjoy the Sesame Street play area. Our kids always want to spend hours there, but my DH always limits them to about 30 minutes.

Will your 8 year old want to go on the rides? That also will take some extra planning. You can check the web site for height limitations and such. There are a few rides in the Sesame Play area as well. You might need to tag team if your older child wants to go on "big kid" rides.

We never do the special events such as dining with the animals. We don't even buy food in the park; my husband refuses to pay for theme park food and always violates the "no outside food" policies. Drives me nuts. So I can't comment on the Shamu show. I do know the One Ocean show is closing soon forever, so it is worth it to see it for that reason alone, if you are interested in seeing it at all.

The Wild Arctic exhibit is a lot of fun for kids. Your younger one might be too small for the simulator helicopter ride, but the non-moving movie version is still pretty cool. And then once inside the exhibit there are a lot of things to look at and do. Allow some time to explore there.

belovedgandp
09-18-2016, 01:10 PM
We just went on the Saturday of Memorial Day with kids - 12, 9 and 6. It was a full day, but only one day for us. It was too chilly to do the water ride. My kids were also big enough that our stay in the Sesame Street area was less than 30 minutes to climb. We went straight to the big roller coaster and rode twice without a problem.

I was expecting more crowds, but if you aren't picky about seats at shows and arrive a bit early you'll be fine.

We ended up doing the extra to touch the dolphins. My 6YO was obsessed with them. It was pricey but worth it for our splurge on vacation. That's the only extra we did.

We were there super early. In the parking lot 45 minutes before open time. They let us in the gate and the kids had a great time at the touch tanks before they let us into the rest of the park.

belovedgandp
09-18-2016, 10:07 PM
I was thinking about our day and the only time the park felt crowded was when we tried to find food. We had a morning snack thinking we'd avoid crowds by trying for lunch at 2-ish. The lines were crazy long for the two places we were thinking about. I know the pizza place for sure. Not sure about the other one. We ended up close to entrance at more a snack bar type place and getting some sandwiches and pretzels.

Then we left before trying for dinner.

SnuggleBuggles
09-18-2016, 10:42 PM
My general amusement park strategy is to eat by 11:30 and then 5 for dinner. Seems to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinay
09-19-2016, 01:16 AM
I would suggest going on Sunday rather than Saturday, it should be a little less crowded (although the October kids free promo may increase crowds regardless). If you go right when it opens, you shouldn't have any trouble getting everything done in one day. I haven't done the Dining with Shamu event, but it's definitely not the same thing as the One Ocean show.

Definitely figure out which shows you want to go to and show up a little early to make sure you have good seats. My kids really like the Pets Rule show, and the Dolphin and Shamu shows are typically must dos as well. I don't know if they still have the Cirque de la Mer show in October, but that's a good one.

We like eating at the barbecue place over by the rapids ride, and the indoor spot to the right of the main entrance where they have the big flag display is pretty good too. Bring snacks if you can, they generally don't care as long as it's not leftovers from a restaurant or something.

California
09-29-2016, 01:52 AM
October weekends have become more crowded over the past couple of years with the combination of the kids' discount and Halloween celebration. On the plus side, the Halloween decorations are very festive and unique (special sea-themed costumes and decor.) There'll be free Trick or Treating, too, at stations around the park. As far as what to see: My mom works at a theme park and she sees a lot of stressed out, sunburnt parents with exhausted, cranky kids rushing around trying to fit in everything they can. Think that scenario gets played out at all theme parks. My advice would be to pick your top priorities and try to really enjoy the day. Bring sunscreen, hats and warmer layers just in case you get a marine layer/cooler weather in the late afternoon. As PP mentioned, if you can arrive early the park will be less crowded for the first hour.

I've never gone to any of the special dining options. My aunt who lives near SeaWorld has taken her grandkids to the Dine with Shamu and she seemed to really like it. My kids like to eat over at Shipwreck Rapids, and sit at a table where they can watch people get wet on the ride.

We went to SeaWorld over the summer with relatives from Oregon, and all the younger kids liked Pets Rule and the Wild Arctic.