PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof winter boots

Liziz
09-23-2016, 05:07 PM
So I've lived in warm weather climates for a long time now.....but just moved to Germany where I'm told winter will be cold (ish -- not awful, but like Midwest US) and WET. We plan to do a decent amount of travel/sightseeing over the winter, so I want to get a winter boot that is waterproof, warm, and stylish. I won't need the boots for hiking through snowy trails or anything -- more like walking through a city on a cold and slushy day. I'm hoping to find something that looks stylish too, not just a functional snow boot. Any suggestions or help being pointed in the right direction would be appreciated! I don't even really know where to start...

ETA: I also need advice for my DDs, please! .... http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?496455-Waterproof-winter-boots-for-kids&p=4211265#post4211265

baymom
09-23-2016, 05:59 PM
I just bought these, you know, since it rains so much in California. :love-retry: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HF6R1ZY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1474667573&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=merrell+boots

I actually bought them for a trip to Paris we are taking next month where it might rain. They are comfortable enough that I can easily see myself wearing them sightseeing through the city all day long.

mmsmom
09-23-2016, 06:08 PM
I would look at Bogs for your girls... Make sure you are looking at their winter boot and not the rain boot. For you I would look at Hunters that you can add a liner sock to when it is cold. Costco online sometimes has Hunters and they are online at Nordstrom Rack but not sure if you need Amazon for shipping.

DualvansMommy
09-23-2016, 07:14 PM
I have both; captiva women's boot which is bit more stylish if I were in the city sightseeing and a pair of hunter boots as well. I got my boys bogs winter boot which I really loved! Ds1 wore his when we had 30 inches of snow and feet was nice and toasty! I loved bogs so much that I also got a pair of colorful rain boot at discounted price as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pomegranate
09-25-2016, 01:45 PM
What about Hunter boots with liners? I love mine for rain but it doesn't get very cold in California so I don't know how well they do for warmth.

Kindra178
09-26-2016, 09:50 AM
Sorel. For kids, llb.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

MMMommy
09-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Sorel Joan of Arctic Wedge boots are comfy and cute! Great with leggings and skinny jeans. They look high, but don't feel high at all. I have fussy feet where most shoes just aren't comfy, but there are totally comfy (even though they don't look comfy). This is coming from someone who doesn't ever wear shoes with a high heel. I bought mine on sale last season from Nordstrom.

http://www.sorel.com/womens-joan-of-arctic-wedge-mid-1627141.html

http://www.sorel.com/womens-joan-of-artic-wedge-mid-boot-1689881.html?cgid=women-boots&dwvar_1689881_variationColor=078#prefn1=productSho eType&prefv1=03&start=0

wendibird22
09-26-2016, 01:25 PM
For kids we've done LE or LLB mostly. Easy on/off, hold up well, and are warm and waterproof. For me, I swear by Bogs. My feet freeze in the winter and Bogs are the only thing I've found that keep me warm enough.

wallawala
09-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Sorel Joan of Arctic Wedge boots are comfy and cute! Great with leggings and skinny jeans. They look high, but don't feel high at all. I have fussy feet where most shoes just aren't comfy, but there are totally comfy (even though they don't look comfy). This is coming from someone who doesn't ever wear shoes with a high heel. I bought mine on sale last season from Nordstrom.

http://www.sorel.com/womens-joan-of-artic-wedge-mid-boot-1689881.html?cgid=women-boots&dwvar_1689881_variationColor=078#prefn1=productSho eType&prefv1=03&start=0

Oh, THESE!!

I have fussy feet too, but love, love these sorels. Cute, fun and not hard to walk in. I think they run slightly big. I usually am 8 in boots and 7.5 flats or sandals. I bought a 7.5 in these and wish I'd gotten a 7. I put a thick insole it, but really wish I'd gone down in size.

I will wear hunter boots with a thick smart wool sock and that works well if you're moving (Not standing for hours in a snowbank)

My kids love Bogs, but I have thick, short calves and can't get them on.

Kindra178
09-29-2016, 02:37 PM

There's also a slip on version that's super cute.

legaleagle
10-01-2016, 03:19 PM
La Canadienne and blondo have dressier styles and are all lined and waterproof. MSRP on both is high but you can good deals at Amazon stp etc

MMMommy
10-02-2016, 11:14 AM
There's also a slip on version that's super cute.

Kinda, are you talking about the new Sorel Lea boot? I am totally eyeing the Lea in gray!

Kindra178
10-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Kinda, are you talking about the new Sorel Lea boot? I am totally eyeing the Lea in gray!

I love it in gray! I am going to order it - but I love the black too. What's cool is with Chicago winters, I can justify both! I also like the Sorel Major Tall, as a waterproof casual tall boot to wear with jeans or sweater/sweatshirt dresses.

Liziz
10-08-2016, 03:07 PM
OP here....

So I ordered the Merrell Captivas -- tried them on the first day and they were SO tight at my ankle that it hurt. The zipper seemed to be pressing right on the bone -- so tight it was hard to zip up. Well, I kept them on as long as I could; I'd read reviews that they took awhile to feel good. I probably wore them for about 2 hours inside. They still felt really tight and my ankle bone actually hurt when I took them off. So, I sadly figured they weren't for me (everything else about them was super comfortable and I liked the look, so I was bummed!), set them aside to return, and started looking again...

I looked at Sorel next. I checked out the recommended Joan of Arc boots but not quite my style and I really didn't want to deal with laces. Then I saw the Sorel Glacy, which wasn't at all the style I had originally thought I was looking for...but I've seen quite a few people wearing that style around here and liked it, so I looked and found a really great deal on them so I just pulled the trigger and ordered.

Next day, just for the heck of it, I put the Merrells back on to try once more before I boxed them up. I was shocked. They fit great. No ankle problems, nice and snug but not too tight at all. It was hard to believe they were the same boots that caused my ankle pain the day before. So, I'm keeping them. And now I have a second pair of boots on the way, too! I'd promised myself I was only going to order one pair....but they're totally different styles so if I like the Sorels once they arrive I think I just got two new pairs of boots..... :)

Thanks for all the advice!

Mommy_Mea
10-10-2016, 07:35 AM
OP here....

So I ordered the Merrell Captivas -- tried them on the first day and they were SO tight at my ankle that it hurt. The zipper seemed to be pressing right on the bone -- so tight it was hard to zip up. Well, I kept them on as long as I could; I'd read reviews that they took awhile to feel good. I probably wore them for about 2 hours inside. They still felt really tight and my ankle bone actually hurt when I took them off. So, I sadly figured they weren't for me (everything else about them was super comfortable and I liked the look, so I was bummed!), set them aside to return, and started looking again...

I looked at Sorel next. I checked out the recommended Joan of Arc boots but not quite my style and I really didn't want to deal with laces. Then I saw the Sorel Glacy, which wasn't at all the style I had originally thought I was looking for...but I've seen quite a few people wearing that style around here and liked it, so I looked and found a really great deal on them so I just pulled the trigger and ordered.

Next day, just for the heck of it, I put the Merrells back on to try once more before I boxed them up. I was shocked. They fit great. No ankle problems, nice and snug but not too tight at all. It was hard to believe they were the same boots that caused my ankle pain the day before. So, I'm keeping them. And now I have a second pair of boots on the way, too! I'd promised myself I was only going to order one pair....but they're totally different styles so if I like the Sorels once they arrive I think I just got two new pairs of boots..... :)

This are my two winter boots, one is great for wet days and the other for dry, colder days, so I agree with having both 😉

Liziz
10-10-2016, 03:30 PM
This are my two winter boots, one is great for wet days and the other for dry, colder days, so I agree with having both 😉

Awesome! I used the Merrells again today and really like them. I'm excited for the Sorels to arrive!

baymom
10-10-2016, 03:51 PM
OP here....

I had a similar experience with the Merrells, too. I found them hard to zip up and tight on the shaft but wore them around the house for a few hours anyway, hoping theyd stretch. Didn't seem really stretched when I took the them off, but fit beautifully the next day. They zip up easily now and are very comfortable. They are still fitted at the shaft, not loose like my other tall boots, but I don't mind. Never expected them to stretch/mold to my legs as nicely as they did! I had been set to return them!