PDA

View Full Version : Question for jewelry makers!

twowhat?
10-13-2016, 05:09 PM
Maybe there are some folks here who make jewelry for etsy:)

We have a stash of small sea shells collected from the beach, many of which have perfectly round holes "pre-drilled" into them. My girls want to make some jewelry - simple necklaces/bracelets. We will only make a handful of pieces - a few to keep and a couple to give away as gifts for an upcoming birthday.

Is there a good place to buy good quality supplies? Cords, good thin metal chains (many of the holes are small), good quality glass or stone beads? I say good quality since they need to be fairly durable...will be worn by kids so I don't want a cheap chain that will break. B&M stores or online is OK! I'll also take any website recommendations for instructions/inspiration!

eta: we will probably make 1 or 2 with leather cords too...one of them will go to a boy:)

Percycat
10-13-2016, 06:05 PM
Disclaimer: I do not make jewelry. But, I did make I made necklaces using an ornate silver key as a charm for my girl scout troop when they bridged to cadettes. I went to JoAnn's and purchased sliver jump rings and black satin cord necklaces already made. I attached the jump rings to the key and then put them on the cord. You could do something similar and embellish with additional beads if you like. The jump rings come in different colors and are very thin, so they probably can fit through the tiny seashell holes. Then you can use what ever string/cord/chain you want for the necklace. You can get these supplies at any craft store.

My daughter had a similar plan last year for Christmas presents. She purchased faded hemp cord and planned to macrame bracelets, but never finished. I'll have to see if she still has the supplies and is still interested in making them for this year.....