PDA

View Full Version : What shoes to wear to school in rain?

mackmama
10-15-2016, 06:40 PM
What shoes do your kids wear to school when it rains? I'd like to send DC to kindergarten on rainy days wearing regular shoes and not rainboots. What shoes are a good idea for rainy days? Are there waterproof shoes that are warm and comfortable for all-day wear? Both boy and girl options please as other friends want to know too.

ETA - I understand some wear regular shoes. I am looking for options that are not regular shoes. I don't want wet feet/socks. Thanks!

trcy
10-15-2016, 06:42 PM
DD just wears her regular sneakers. I don't do anything different on rainy days.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

niccig
10-15-2016, 06:45 PM
DD just wears her regular sneakers. I don't do anything different on rainy days.

DS wears a pair of hiking boots - they're lightweight so not too heavy and water proof. I hate having wet socks, so don't let DS wear his regular sneakers.

georgiegirl
10-15-2016, 06:46 PM
My kids just wear their regular shoes. Sneakers usually.

SnuggleBuggles
10-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Regular shoes. Mine don't have to go far in the rain. Their feet will survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schrocat
10-15-2016, 07:15 PM
Keen Kootenays.

twowhat?
10-15-2016, 07:48 PM
We walk to school so the kids wear Crocs rainboots and when we get to school they swap out the rainboots for regular sneakers and we carry the rainboots home. I'm not sure if your kids walk or bus or what but thought I'd throw that option out there in case you walk with them:)

If they took the bus or I drove them, they'd just wear their regular shoes...at our schools the kids do recess in the gym if it's rainy/muddy outside.

Green_Tea
10-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Merrell Jungle Mocs. They come in lots of colors.

ABO Mama
10-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Waterproof sneakers. We've used keen, merrell, etc.

Mommy_Mea
10-16-2016, 05:57 AM
If it is a day they are at before/after care, they won't be outside in the rain, so just sneakers. Bus days, they wear rain boots and bring sneakers, since we walk a little in the rain, and they love puddles.

123LuckyMom
10-16-2016, 08:53 AM
Our elementary school makes all the kids keep a spare outfit and a spare pair of shoes at school just in case. I bought a tag sale spare pair to keep there. But even if that weren't required, my kids just wear regular shoes. They know if they jump in puddles they'll be wet, so it's up to them to make those decisions. If their shoes get wet, they won't be able to wear them for a couple of days, so it's up to them if they are willing to have wet feet and then be without those shoes for a while. We all love to puddle jump, so when the kids get home from school we all put on boots and have at it! But on the way to school isn't the time or place for puddle jumping.

Momit
10-16-2016, 10:37 AM
Crocs or Natives.

BananaMama
10-16-2016, 06:19 PM
Sneakers, but we use the bus so there's little time spent outside and no puddles involved.

Corie
10-16-2016, 07:02 PM
My kids have never worn different shoes on rainy days.

KrisM
10-16-2016, 07:40 PM
if it's pouring, I drive to the bus stop. If it's just a little rain, we walk there. Kids wear regular shoes. They are never very wet and so far, no one has complained.

In the winter, they wear boots and take sneakers. At some point, they've all forgotten to put the sneakers in their backpacks. So, wearing regular shoes works because it's one less thing for them to remember to pack in the mornings. In winter they don't have much choice, but it's daily, so easier to remember, I think.

ABO Mama
10-16-2016, 07:43 PM
My kids have never worn different shoes on rainy days.

My kids would be soaked if they didn't wear waterproof shoes, and they're old enough to stay out of puddles. I think it really depends on the school. Our school is in a rural area. The campus is quiet spread out, and all outdoors. To get to class, DS's have to go down 2 flights of outdoor stairs, each separated by open, uncovered courtyards. Once in class, they have to go outside to get to bathrooms, the gym, and cafeteria for lunch. Sometimes this means walking through slushy snow. Two pairs of shoes would be a pain, for all of the moving around they do during the day.

cheme
10-16-2016, 09:20 PM
Regular shoes, but they don't have to be outside for long.

KrystalS
10-16-2016, 09:39 PM
My kids would be soaked if they didn't wear waterproof shoes, and they're old enough to stay out of puddles. I think it really depends on the school. Our school is in a rural area. The campus is quiet spread out, and all outdoors. To get to class, DS's have to go down 2 flights of outdoor stairs, each separated by open, uncovered courtyards. Once in class, they have to go outside to get to bathrooms, the gym, and cafeteria for lunch. Sometimes this means walking through slushy snow. Two pairs of shoes would be a pain, for all of the moving around they do during the day.

My kids school is the same way. They have to walk outside to get to PE/music, cafeteria, any other activities outside of the classroom. It doesn't rain that often here but if it's going to be raining all day DS has to wear rain boots.

Kindra178
10-16-2016, 09:58 PM
Sneakers. They dry. My kids walk at least two blocks from where I drop them to the front door. FYI - as kids get older, they won't even wear rain jackets (I have seen that play out) or snow boots (haven't seen that but expect it will happen soon) or even winter coats.

citymama
10-17-2016, 04:48 AM
Rain boots and carry sneakers in backpack.