PDA

View Full Version : How often does your 5th or 6th grader do math?

niccig
10-16-2016, 02:14 PM
I posted before to get advice for helping DS with math. I've had him bring him his workbook and notebooks. They did math on Monday then didn't do it again all week. DS says they don't do math often, same thing happened last year when he was in 5th grade. Several days would go before any math was done in class. I know how much the teacher has to cover in class, I work in a school and I'm often in the classroom. However, I still feel math should be done more often in class. I know there is little I can do about the frequency of the math lesson, so I've had DS do more practice at home. Just wondering if I'm out of line thinking in 6th grade math should be more than once a week.

JBaxter
10-16-2016, 02:16 PM
Nathan is in 7th but as in last year Math was daily

SnuggleBuggles
10-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Every day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schrocat
10-16-2016, 02:29 PM
My eldest is in 6th grade in middle school. He has a math class everyday taught by a specialized teacher.

HannaAddict
10-16-2016, 02:30 PM
Every day for every grade. When they were little some days less intense but math is a daily event. Last year, first year of middle school, daily too with one or two "double blocks" of longer math class. I would check with the teacher as that doesn't seem correct to do once a week. Don't they provide a schedule of weekly subjects and what time generally at if still in a classroom or a class schedule if go to different teachers? We've had one since kindergarten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ett
10-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Every day.

ABO Mama
10-16-2016, 02:36 PM
Daily instruction with daily homework.

niccig
10-16-2016, 02:40 PM
DS is in 6th grade, but it's last year of elementary here. I know I did math daily in MS and HS. I need to tread carefully with the teacher, I was in last week asking about math as DS has done very poorly in his quizzes so far - I posted before about many of his mistakes were silly mistakes. I did not ask how often they do math in class. No I don't have a schedule of weekly subjects or a class schedule. I do think that at 12, DS is a reliable reporter on how much math they do in class. If they haven't done any since Monday, then they didn't do any. He said they were working on their social studies presentations and reading the book for English Language Arts. I think I'll track it and see. Last year the teacher seemed to do the same, no math for a while, then it was just math. He didn't have math homework last year either. DS often finishes his work in class, so doesn't always bring home homework.

JBaxter
10-16-2016, 02:44 PM
6th is middle here I just sent a message to my niece who is in 6th but not a middle school situation they do change classes and she has math daily. They switch classed 3 x a day where she goes to school.

ang79
10-16-2016, 02:56 PM
I sub. some in our 4-6 grade buildings (and my daughter is in 4th). Math is every day, unless there is something different in the schedule (weather delay start, early dismissal, special assembly, or field trip). The students have 2 teachers, one for Language Arts and one for STEM classes. I'd guess that all 3 grades in the intermediate schools have math for at least 1-1.5 hrs. daily and usually daily homework in math. Only having it once a week on a normal school week seems really odd to me.

PZMommy
10-16-2016, 02:57 PM
I am teaching 5th grade this year, and we spend 90 minutes on math daily, unless we have a field trip or some special event (only a few times a year).

Edited to add, I don't always assign math homework, but it is taught in class every day. Many of the parents of my students are unable to read English and have difficulty helping their child with math, so unless it is something easy, we also do the math homework in class, so that I can help them.

AnnieW625
10-16-2016, 03:00 PM
5th grader--everyday

hillview
10-16-2016, 03:05 PM
Daily instruction with daily homework.
DS2 has this exactly. No weeekend homework

Kindra178
10-16-2016, 03:09 PM
5th grader in middle school. It's a daily subject (dd switches classes all day long) with daily homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

KrisM
10-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Everyday K-5, which is elementary here. In 6-8, it's 4 days a week, because we have block schedules, so only half the classes on Thurs/Fri.

scrooks
10-16-2016, 03:27 PM
My kids are younger but at our k-4 school it's everyday fo everyone...often with a worksheet of homework.

KpbS
10-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Everyday. I've never heard of it not being taught everyday.

georgiegirl
10-16-2016, 03:53 PM
Everyday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

egoldber
10-16-2016, 03:53 PM
6th is still ES for is too. In ES, both my kids have always had math every day. The only exception would be field trip days, field day, etc.

In MS and HS, many of the schools here do block scheduling, so they usually have math 3 times a week depending on the schedule.

doberbrat
10-16-2016, 04:09 PM
5th grader - every day for usually for 90min a day. Must also practice math facts 5+ x a week at home. This is in addition to any homework.

Every grade incl K gets daily math instruction. I find it shocking that any grade other than K would NOT get daily math instruction!

cheme
10-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Every day here too. There is almost always daily homework also.

cckwmh
10-16-2016, 06:50 PM
DD is 5th grade , middle school, daily math class. homework mon- thurs, usually a few word problems reinforcing whatever they did in class that day.

94bruin
10-16-2016, 06:56 PM
Everyday K-5, which is elementary here. In 6-8, it's 4 days a week, because we have block schedules, so only half the classes on Thurs/Fri.
My 6th grader (middle school) also has a block schedule. Math is 4x/week. During her elementary school years, she had math every day.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Baby Bargains mobile app

Corie
10-16-2016, 06:57 PM
My son is in 6th grade and he has math every day for 1.5 hours. It is his first class of the day.

maestramommy
10-16-2016, 07:01 PM
DD1 is in 5th. They are on a 6 day rotation, so she wasn't too clear, but she said this week it felt like they did math every day. They sometimes do math and science on the same day, or just science, or just math.

Middle school here is 5th and 6th.

bisous
10-16-2016, 07:09 PM
Every day.

But my mom just retired from teaching elementary school and she says that her colleagues don't always do math every day. They really should, but they prioritize other things I guess.

o_mom
10-17-2016, 11:05 AM
Elementary (k-5) is every day for about an hour. 6th-8th is block scheduling, so every other day for 90 min plus a 90 min. block every other day where they can meet with the teacher for extra help if needed.

mom2binsd
10-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Every day, elementary and middle school, have never heard of math not being taught on a daily basis, ever!

vonfirmath
10-17-2016, 11:35 AM
Every day, elementary and middle school, have never heard of math not being taught on a daily basis, ever!

The only time I've heard of math not being taught on a daily basis is the block scheduling mentioned above (So math taught every other day). I'd be very concerned about math only being taught once a week!

baymom
10-17-2016, 12:06 PM
My 5th grader has math classroom instruction everyday. She gets all her math HW on Monday and has to turn it in on Friday and can choose how and when to complete it. Her HW math problems (about 8 a week) are not really correlated to what they are doing in class but more logic type questions.

When DS was a 6th grader last year (1st yr of MS here), he had math class everyday, as well.

essnce629
10-17-2016, 12:17 PM
Every day for every grade level so far and DS1 is in 8th grade. High school will most likely be a block schedule.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

smilequeen
10-17-2016, 12:21 PM
Every day.

I would at least want to ask about the math curriculum and how it's working. It's hard to imagine only doing it once a week, but I'd want to give the benefit of the doubt I guess.

lalasmama
10-17-2016, 01:37 PM
40 minutes a day from 4th grade on in her school where they switch to the middle school in 4th grade. In 4th, 5th, 6th the "core" teacher does it. Now that she's in 7th, she has a dedicated math teacher for it.

LBW
10-17-2016, 02:02 PM
Every day here, too, until block scheduling in high school. I've never heard of an elementary school that only has math 1x/week. In our schools, math and LA take up the most instructional time every day. If they aren't learning math daily, what are they doing in class?

jren
10-17-2016, 02:10 PM
My kids have always had math every day except for my DD's 5th grade year. Her teacher had never taught math before (was a middle school english teacher before) and struggled to get to every subject every day. As a result, she only got through about 1/2 of the math book for the year. DD is in 7th now and I'm homeschooling her. We had to back her up to 5th grade math because there were so many gaps. She was sick on Friday and we skipped schooling that day. I could tell today, 3 days later, that she wasn't as fast at remembering the different math problems we'd been working on. It took a quick review. They really need a little every day.

Simon
10-17-2016, 02:32 PM
5th grade, 50 min daily with a specialized teacher. However, there are days that math looks more like silent reading as they wait for some students to finish up a quiz/test/assessment from the day before.