PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Family Reunion Schedule--Critiques and Comments?

bisous
10-16-2016, 07:24 PM
We're in charge of planning the Christmas celebration/reunion for DH's side of the family this year. There are 12 adults and 20 kids.

It will be a 3 day extravaganza with the most important activities on the first day (Christmas Day) and activities of less importance following on the next two days. This allows those who need to work to do so without missing out too much but also allows for out of town guests to really be able to enjoy themselves.

On Christmas afternoon we'll meet up and have a nice meal (no ideas for what to do yet--maybe traditional fare). Then we'll have the traditional acting out of the nativity by the kids. Then kid gift exchange and grownup white elephant gift exchange.

The second day, I'm not sure what to do in the morning. I gotta think about this. I would love suggestions! The afternoon would be a short hike and the late afternoon would be a family photo opportunity. I thought maybe the grownups could do a dinner out and leave the kids at home for pizza and a movie.

The third day, I'm envisioning a family service project in the morning and a fun opportunity to eat out for lunch. I'm thinking we could do an afternoon hike. That night we could do a family party. My MIL bought a gift package from a local DJ for a musical photo booth event.

I'm not sure what to do on the morning of the second day. Also, I'm wondering if I should switch any of the events? My thinking is to make the less important events later in the week. So if one family can only stay for Sunday (Christmas) they get the most crucial stuff. Then Monday would have the photo, so that would be the second day with the third day really as the icing on the cake so to speak.

Any thoughts very much appreciated!

boogiemom
10-16-2016, 07:40 PM
I would move the events listed for Day 3 to Day 2. Switch the afternoon hike out and put family photo in. This way most are still there for family photo and the party.

Day 3 can be a brunch, a hike and an adult dinner out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
10-16-2016, 08:08 PM
I would move the events listed for Day 3 to Day 2. Switch the afternoon hike out and put family photo in. This way most are still there for family photo and the party.

Good plan. It doesn't make sense to do important stuff on day 3 if you're anticipating people not being there.

bisous
10-16-2016, 08:16 PM

OK. I like that. So...

Second day is service project, family photos and family party.

Third day is brunch, hike and adult dinner out.

Perfect!

This gets me rolling. Still gotta come up with the details!

ChicagoNDMom
10-16-2016, 09:08 PM
A family hike would only be doable for half of my family (due to youth, advanced age, orthopedic conditions), so I would have an alternative (board games/card games?) for that time slot....

Pear
10-17-2016, 09:07 AM
I would move the family photo to a day everyone can attend.

I would also not expect the entire family to do a hike. You are going to have a wide range of interest and fitness levels. What you may view as a leisurely stroll up a mild hill, your aunt may view as a forced march that leaves her exhausted and aggravates her sciatica.