PDA

View Full Version : Can I ask a dumb soccer question?

trcy
10-17-2016, 04:53 PM
DD is starting soccer for the first time in a few weeks. I have ordered her uniform from the club and am going to pickup shin guards and shoes this weekend. I assume she shouldn't wear her uniform for practices, just games, right? Also, shin guards for practice or just games? Sorry if I seem like an idiot, this is all brand new to us. DH and I didn't really play any organized sports growing up (other than the 3 years of softball I played).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

sariana
10-17-2016, 05:06 PM
Shin guards are a must for practice and games.

I have seen some kids wear the uniform for practice, but it's not common. We do laundry only once a week, so if DD wore her uniform to practice, it would be dirty on game day. Most kids wear a uniform from a previous season (not an option for you), athletic shorts and top, or just regular shorts and a cotton T-shirt.

Get an extra pair of socks or two, the long kind that will accommodate the shin guards.

khm
10-17-2016, 05:21 PM
DD is starting soccer for the first time in a few weeks. I have ordered her uniform from the club and am going to pickup shin guards and shoes this weekend. I assume she shouldn't wear her uniform for practices, just games, right? Also, shin guards for practice or just games? Sorry if I seem like an idiot, this is all brand new to us. DH and I didn't really play any organized sports growing up (other than the 3 years of softball I played).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

Yes. They'll always wear the shin guards. :)

My kids just wear gym shorts and tees to practice, or last years uniform shorts. It's hard enough keeping a game uniform clean and not lost!

Yeah, get an extra pair of socks or two. They always seem to take them off in a weird place and you scramble to find them. You build up a stash by the second uniform. (Except that one random year where the socks are a different color.....)

ahisma
10-17-2016, 05:24 PM
It depends on the club. Our kids have to wear a training jersey (with number, club issued, $$, but not the same as the game jersey) to practice.

nfceagles
10-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Always shin guards.

For town, kids just wear athletic wear. For our club, kids are required to wear the same socks and shorts as their uniform but a separate practice tee that we were required to buy. For that reason we buy extras for club to accommodate games and practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter
10-17-2016, 06:11 PM
Like the others say ALWAYS shin guards. We have a practice shirt that must be worn with solid navy shorts ( of our choice) that comes with our uniform kit. 2 uniforms 1 blue one 1 white white game socks blue game socks Gold practice shirt.

DualvansMommy
10-17-2016, 06:12 PM
DS1 is playing soccer with our town soccer team; they ask kids wear their jersey issued shirt but any shorts will do; ds1 has tons of athelic shorts and few long socks to cover his shin guards.

bisous
10-17-2016, 06:12 PM
We're in AYSO and always wear socks, cleats and shin guards. Other than that DS just wears what he wore to school. For him, that's a t and cargo shorts so it is really very flexible.

Kindra178
10-17-2016, 06:30 PM
Unless you hear otherwise, just wear athletic shorts and tshirts. Some clubs require practice clothes, but you would know. Girls in our club can't wear leggings without shorts on top.

ahisma
10-17-2016, 07:14 PM
Also - you don't sound dumb at all! Soccer is still a foreign language to me 3 years in:)

JBaxter
10-17-2016, 07:19 PM
And shin guards go UNDER the socks If your kid thinks it feels weird get them used to it some refs won't let them play with them over the socks

mackmama
10-17-2016, 07:38 PM
We are new to soccer too so had the same questions (started a few weeks ago). Wear the shin guards for practice and games. Also, most wear the shin guards under the socks, not over. Some people wear the uniform for practice here, others just for games so I don't think that one really matters. I'd err on the side of wearing only for games until you see what others do.

ahisma
10-17-2016, 08:36 PM
Also, the shin guards that go in sleeves are much more comfortable than the ones that have the straps that go under the foot.