PDA

View Full Version : books to read?

DualvansMommy
10-17-2016, 06:07 PM
I'm boarding a long overnight flight later this week, and am never able to sleep for long stretches on a plane. So need book recommendations to really capture my attention.

any?

books i've read and enjoyed this year which isn't much; The girl on the train, the light between Oceans, and the couple next door. So books like that or anything that really caught your interest, as i like venturing out of my usual taste. Not really into paranatureal kind of stories, but the rest is ok.

nfceagles
10-17-2016, 06:09 PM
If you haven't read Gone Girl or The Martian I would recommend those for engaging page turners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philly Mom
10-17-2016, 06:16 PM
The Luckiest Girl Alive is that genre. I just read Americanah, not that genre, but probably one of the best books I have read in years. Couldn't put it down.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

citymama
10-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Chimamanda Adiche's "Americanah"

Zadie Smith "On Beauty"

Jhumpa Lahiri "The Namesake"

rlu
10-17-2016, 07:03 PM
I did read The Girl on the Train and think pp suggestion of Gone Girl is similar.

I haven't read anything lately in that same style. Best I've read recently are Peace Like A River and Wish You Well. More "folksy" feel to them since you're open to other styles.

rin
10-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Second the Martian (just finished it myself, totally fun & easy page-turner). Have you read any of the Elena Ferrante books? If not, those might be interesting (it's a four-book series, I've only read the first myself but have the second sitting on my bookshelf right now).

candaceb
10-17-2016, 09:17 PM
I am totally hooked on "the Goldfinch" right now. I am usually more of a chick lit reader but this one really catches my attention even though it's pulitzer prize winning literature.

AnnieW625
10-17-2016, 09:25 PM
Edward Hermann reading Boys on the Boat. Almost anything by Susan Elizabeth Phillips I can binge read. You will need a lot of time with the Goldfinch, but if I were to read it again I think I would prefer the audio book version.

Philly Mom
10-17-2016, 09:26 PM
Boys on the Boat was great.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

123LuckyMom
10-17-2016, 09:48 PM
Someone here recommended The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared, and that was a good read. Other books I've read recently: Our Souls at Night, which was short and good, Where'd You Go Bernadette, Station Eleven, The Storied Life of AJ Fikry, The Ten Year Nap, The Housekeeper and the Professor, All the Light We Cannot See, and The Golem and The Jinni, which I really, really loved!!! All of them were good reads, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

theriviera
10-17-2016, 09:54 PM
The Luckiest Girl Alive is that genre. I just read Americanah, not that genre, but probably one of the best books I have read in years. Couldn't put it down.

I loved Americanah.

Books I've also really enjoyed:

Circling the Sun
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Marriage of Opposites
Eligible
The Black Widow
The One that Got Away

Philly Mom
10-17-2016, 09:59 PM
I loved Americanah.

Books I've also really enjoyed:

Circling the Sun
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
Marriage of Opposites
Eligible
The Black Widow
The One that Got Away

I liked Circling of the Sun too. I believe I read Boy in the Striped Pajamas awhile ago. I will have to check out the other books on your list.

Have you read the Perfume Collector or Orhan's Inheritance? Two more wonderful books.

For a very easy but fun read, Crazy Rich Asians. I think it is becoming a film too.

theriviera
10-17-2016, 10:19 PM
I liked Circling of the Sun too. I believe I read Boy in the Striped Pajamas awhile ago. I will have to check out the other books on your list.

Have you read the Perfume Collector or Orhan's Inheritance? Two more wonderful books.

For a very easy but fun read, Crazy Rich Asians. I think it is becoming a film too.

You and I have similar taste in books! I loved all 3 of the other books you mentioned.

I also enjoyed Into the Beautiful North, The Language of Flowers, and We Never Asked for Wings (last 2 by the same author). Oh, and The Girl Who Slept with God.

Philly Mom
10-17-2016, 10:25 PM
You and I have similar taste in books! I loved all 3 of the other books you mentioned.

I also enjoyed Into the Beautiful North, The Language of Flowers, and We Never Asked for Wings (last 2 by the same author). Oh, and The Girl Who Slept with God.

I loved Language of Flowers. I will have to get the other 2.

For a slightly different genre, but well written, I am Pilgrim. It is of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ilk.

cilantromapuche
10-18-2016, 08:42 AM
There is a sequel to Crazy Rich Asians. China Rich Girlfriend. https://www.amazon.com/China-Rich-Girlfriend-Kevin-Kwan/dp/0804172064/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476794333&sr=8-2&keywords=crazy+rich+asians

lizzywednesday
10-18-2016, 11:39 AM
I tend to binge-read authors and styles.

When I'm traveling, I tend to prefer lighthearted stuff like:

the Heather Wells Mysteries by Meg Cabot (first book is Size 12 is Not Fat; I found them delightfully silly)
the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (first book is Real Murders; Aurora is a lot of fun)
the Lily Bard Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (first book is Shakespeare's Landlord; Lily is vulnerable yet tough-as-nails; darker than Aurora series)
A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (yes, OK, there are supernatural elements, but a lot of it is played for comic effect; weird humor)
Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore (yes, there are vampires, but it is TOTALLY played for comic effect with a smattering of tragedy)

I should note that I read the last two on this list on the return trip from our honeymoon and I laughed out loud, embarrassing my husband. (Mostly because of the awful coincidence that the TV in the VIP lounge where we'd seated ourselves was tuned to a cable network showing nonstop coverage of the Madeline McCann case, so unhinged giggles were rather inappropriate in light of what was on TV.)

I've read other books by Moore, but I don't recommend them to just anyone - it varies based on whether or not I know someone, and their sense of humor, well enough to recommend without reservation. I have a rather offbeat sense of humor myself.

For one-offs, I've enjoyed revisiting novels I've read over the past 20-odd years:

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy (a romantic-adventure set during the French Revolution; I remember it quite fondly, even if I think it's a little silly now)
The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (I haven't seen the film with Anthony Hopkins & Emma Thompson in the lead roles, but I quite enjoyed the book)
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum (this is a great read-aloud, too; DD likes it quite a bit)

Corie
10-18-2016, 11:48 AM
I also enjoyed Into the Beautiful North, The Language of Flowers,

I also really liked these 2 books.

How about The Rent Collector?

SASM
10-18-2016, 11:50 AM
DH really liked The Martian. He finished it quickly.

I tend to prefer light quick reads...books that I've enjoyed in the last year or so:

Pretty much anything by Liane Moriarty - really enjoyed Big Little Lies and Husband's Secret
Where'd You Go, Bernadette? was quirky and fun
The Rosie Project
See Me by Nicholas Sparks had a mystery piece.
Me Before You (NOT After You)
America's First Daughter (about Martha "Patsy" Jefferson Randolph)

We've been listening to the Harry Potter books, narrated by Jim Dale. OMG...FANTASTIC narrator! So...if you'd rather listen to something, I highly recommend these!

ExcitedMamma
10-18-2016, 11:56 AM
I forgot about The Martian! It is my favorite book in a long time. I downloaded the sample when I kept hearing about the movie and didn't expect to be into it but it's really great. If you've seen the movie the book is so much better. It's actually really funny which surprised me. I'm not a science person either so while the author is and he wanted all the science to be right and real the book itself is really a great character piece.

rlu
10-18-2016, 07:14 PM
the Aurora Teagarden Mysteries by Charlaine Harris (first book is Real Murders; Aurora is a lot of fun)

totally off topic - they are making these into movies on Hallmark with Candance Cameron Bure. The latest was just on last Sunday.

Tenasparkl
10-18-2016, 07:24 PM
Where'd You Go, Bernadette? was quirky and fun

She's got a new book called Today Will be Different. I bought it but haven't started it yet.

Corie
10-18-2016, 07:42 PM
totally off topic - they are making these into movies on Hallmark with Candance Cameron Bure. The latest was just on last Sunday.

I love watching these murder mystery movies on Hallmark!

I also watch the Garage Sale Mystery movies (with Lori Loughlin), Flower Shop Mystery movies (with Brooke Shields) and Murder She Baked (with Alison Sweeney).

My favorites are the Murder She Baked. :)

wallawala
10-19-2016, 12:31 AM
The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware is pretty good and a quick read in the "Girl on the Train" genre

lizzywednesday
10-19-2016, 10:29 AM

I'd seen that and think she's the perfect choice for Aurora, but I haven't actually watched the films.

The rights/production info was announced through Ms Harris's Facebook page when everything was moving forward, so it's been on my radar.

SummerBaby
10-19-2016, 10:58 AM
I'm currently reading Before the Fall, and it's really good. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1455561789/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476888755&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=after+the+fall+noah+hawley&dpPl=1&dpID=51toFDu5WSL&ref=plSrch

AnnieW625
10-19-2016, 11:56 AM
Laura Griffin's Tracer series is good as well if you like murder mysteries.