PDA

View Full Version : using your iphone while overseas?

DualvansMommy
10-19-2016, 09:59 AM
im literally only gonna be oversea for long weekend, and as such i don't want to waste time searching and buying sim card from local phone store. so, what are my options to make sure i still have service on my phone with ability to text local family and friends?

Philly Mom
10-19-2016, 10:59 AM
You need to call your carrier. If you don't want to pay for anything, you need to be on wifi. Calls still wouldn't work but FaceTime over wifi would.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

Meatball Mommie
10-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Yes, call your carrier. We do it all the time for trips to Canada and also longer trips to countries in Europe. It's super easy and not that much money really. We have Verizon and have never had a problem.

khm
10-19-2016, 11:44 AM
im literally only gonna be oversea for long weekend, and as such i don't want to waste time searching and buying sim card from local phone store. so, what are my options to make sure i still have service on my phone with ability to text local family and friends?

Yeah, you are gonna want to check with your carrier so you don't have an ugly surprise. Typically we've just had to add a tier onto our bill for a month. Depends on where you are going though, sometimes it isn't necessary.

My former boss went on a cruise and thought she'd turned off cell/data, but nope. She had background data stuff going and it was a lot of $$.

cuca_
10-19-2016, 01:18 PM
Yes. Call your carrier. With verizon, you can pay for an international plan for the days you will be away. They prorate it.

citymama
10-19-2016, 01:20 PM
I have ATT - what I usually do is buy the basic international roaming plan which is good for a month. Costs $30 and gives you a limited number of texts, calls and data. I use for emergency calls and mostly just use the texts while out and about. Use wifi and iMessage as much as possible to avoid extra charges.

I also turn of the "Data Roaming" setting as soon as I land.

mmsmom
10-19-2016, 01:21 PM
It depends on your carrier and what country you are traveling to. For AT&T I can add texting (there is a limit to # of msgs), and 30 minutes of talk for $30.00. I can do it online. DH has Verizon and for Canada & Mexico he can use his same plan for $2.00/day.

geochick
10-19-2016, 01:49 PM
I love Verizon's international plan. For us, it's $10/device/day, and only if you turn it on and use the service. you are only charged if you use the plan. You have to set it up with them online or in store before you travel.

twowhat?
10-19-2016, 02:30 PM
You absolutely need to check with your carrier as it depends on so many things. Your carrier, your phone and which network(s) it can connect to, which countries you are visiting, even what kind of plan you currently have (if you're a contracted customer or own your phone and pay month to month).

lfp2n
10-20-2016, 10:32 AM
If you have Sprint they have new international roaming plan with free texts with 20c / minute calls and free 2G cellular data. Before they had that, I just turned off cellular data and used free wifi. You can text and call you just pay international rates, for a few texts that wasnt prohibitive.