PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for 13th bday?

Twoboos
10-19-2016, 10:18 AM
DD1 is turning 13 in a few weeks. :47: I feel like it's a big one so want to treat it that way. But I can't seem to come up with a good idea for a party or gift!

Party ideas she's been meh on:

Spa trip - nails, etc.
Trip to the mall for shopping/dinner, as a surprise I'd have a limo take them all and meet them there
Paint-Nite type place
Movie with dinner in theater (don't know what's playing though)
Also just thought of a "figure out the clues to escape the room" type place, can't think of the name but a friend did this party last year so she might not want it.

If she invites EVERYONE it's likely to be like 20 girls which I can't handle and is ridiculous. I'm really hoping to keep it to less than 10.

As for a gift, we are trying to do more experiences. There is a big radio station sponsored, multiple artist concert coming up a few weeks after bday, might get tix to that but then does she bring a friend, how many, etc. I have to check what other shows are scheduled to be in town around that time.

Any thoughts or other ideas for making 13 special?

ellies mom
10-19-2016, 11:05 AM
I wish I had good suggestions. My oldest is also turning 13 in a couple of weeks. She wants to have pizza at our house and then go see Dr Strange. I was aiming for six guests because that is how many fit in our cars but we are at 7 right now.

As for gifts, I don't know what the husband has planned but I'm going to get her a new bag for her music stuff, the new Attack on Titan anthology. I love the idea of "experience" gifts. But I'm getting ready to spend $350+ on Emerald City Comicon tickets today so that is experience enough for me right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Percycat
10-19-2016, 11:51 AM
Last year we had DD's party at a hotel. The girls loved having their own room, swimming in the hotel pool, and eating breakfast at the breakfast buffet. I brought popcorn and a variety of add-ins/toppings for a popcorn bar and the girls watched a movie. Then we spent the day at the City Museum -- which is fun museum at our home..... but I think just having a party at a hotel was fun for the girls.

This year, I think we may order a mystery party. You can get parties for any size group. When girls RSVP, you can send character information and they could dress up in part for the party. Late RSVP can be assigned extra roles that do not affect the plot of the mystery.

We went to a party over the summer at an indoor climbing facility that the girls really enjoyed.

I plan to take my daughter to get a makeover when she is 13 and help her pick out some simple 'mom' approved make-up.

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2016, 12:41 PM
How about organizing a scavenger hunt at a mall or something? The kind where it's like "take a picture of [something, an activity...]" not something that you have to set up ahead of time. Then dinner. What they probably want most is just a chance to be silly and hang out.

cheme
10-19-2016, 12:41 PM
This year, I think we may order a mystery party. You can get parties for any size group. When girls RSVP, you can send character information and they could dress up in part for the party. Late RSVP can be assigned extra roles that do not affect the plot of the mystery.

Where do you get the mystery party from? Have you done ones from a specific place before?

KpbS
10-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Honestly, all of your party ideas sound great! I would pick 2/3 and let her choose which she would like. If none are appealing, so be it! Just have a family party and maybe a friend party next year. That's ok too.
Also, it's ok to limit the number of guests. 20 is a whole lot for anything, unless it's ice skating or trampolining.

Concert tickets sound like a great gift or maybe a gift of a class--photography workshop, cooking class, a few ski lessons?

khm
10-19-2016, 04:17 PM
How about organizing a scavenger hunt at a mall or something? The kind where it's like "take a picture of [something, an activity...]" not something that you have to set up ahead of time. Then dinner. What they probably want most is just a chance to be silly and hang out.

A friend did this and the girls got a talking to from a mall cop! :) He just noticed them somehow and wanted to know what they were "up to".

squimp
10-19-2016, 04:20 PM
We did a local sporting event (free tix), pizza and a sleepover for a few close friends. In the a.m. I took her to a local spa for a massage, which she loved, especially since she had 3 hours of practice the night before. The spa also has a steam room and really cool rain showers, it was dreamy for her, she loved it.

Hemlock
10-19-2016, 04:36 PM
For my DD 13th birthday we hired a photographer (my DH's best friend) and had all the girls bring 2 outfits for photos. We took them out to a local scenic park and took group and individual photos of each girl. The photographer brought along a photo printer and each girl left with a framed 5x7 photo, plus I e-mailed the parents a few of the additional shots. It was a BIG hit!

Percycat
10-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Where do you get the mystery party from? Have you done ones from a specific place before?

I haven't done this yet. For the past few years, I have researched the idea, but my kids chose something else. This year, my daughter says she wants to have a mystery party. Google mystery parties for kids/teens. You will see several different providers that have party plans more appropriate for kids -- usually a theft instead of a murder, no alcohol or affairs. The party descriptions will give you a sample of the plot and tell you the number of characters and extras. Some parties are designed with a script that gets followed through the event; others are looser and just have information each character is expected to share or seek. You and DD can view this information and decide what will work best. Have fun planning your party.