PDA

View Full Version : Hydroflask question

melrose7
10-19-2016, 06:30 PM
So I bought a Hydroflask from Dick's Sporting Goods last winter for a Christmas gift for myself from all the love they get on these boards. My question is why doesn't my ice last all day like everyone says. I'll put ice in with cold water in the morning and by noon all the ice has melted. By 3:00 my water isn't even that cold anymore. I keep hearing that people have ice in it all day even after having it outside in 90 degree weather. I keep in in my classroom. I still use it everyday but this has been bothering me and the more I hear them recommend I am frustrated why mine doesn't keep the ice from melting.

kristenk
10-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Maybe check to see if it's still insulating properly? This is from the hydroflask website:

Flasks that seem to have lost their insulating properties: You can test the insulation of your flask at home with boiling water. Pour from a kettle or pot directly into the stationary flask, filling it all the way to the neck. Exercise caution pouring boiling water into the flask to avoid burns. Do not hold the flask while filling with boiling water. Also, do not place the cap over the flask. After about 5 minutes, feel the outside of the flask (below the neck). If you feel any hot spots, the insulation has been compromised and you are eligible for a replacement.

eagle
10-19-2016, 07:02 PM
this may not be true of others but i start with cold filtered water (we keep a brita in there all the time) from my fridge and add ice to that. i also sometimes "prime" the flask by filling it with the coldest tap water i have. but even if i dont prime, the ice lasts all day. i definitely prime if i do hot things.

eagle
10-19-2016, 07:04 PM
sometimes i dont get to cleaning the bottle until the next morning, 24 hours later and theres still ice. i think checking to see if there is an insulation leak is excellent.

squimp
10-19-2016, 08:37 PM
Maybe you need more ice? I usually fill mine with ice, then add water, and it stays all day.

Corie
10-19-2016, 09:00 PM
Maybe you need more ice? I usually fill mine with ice, then add water, and it stays all day.

Yes, this is us too. I fill the hydroflask about 3/4 full of ice and then add water.

PZMommy
10-19-2016, 09:05 PM
I think yours may be defective. I only put a few ice cubes in mine and cold water and still have ice at the end of the day, even on 90+ degree days.

Kindra178
10-19-2016, 09:16 PM
I think yours may be defective. I only put a few ice cubes in mine and cold water and still have ice at the end of the day, even on 90+ degree days.

Same here.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (https://siteowners.tapatalk.com/byo/displayAndDownloadByoApp?rid=87652)

MommyAllison
10-19-2016, 10:29 PM
I don't put ice in mine, and the water still stays very cold throughout the day! The outside of the bottle can be room temp or warmer, but the water inside stays chilled. I agree that yours may be defective.

MMMommy
10-20-2016, 12:30 AM
Did you ever drop your Hydroflask on the ground? I heard that the walled insulation can crack with drops. I think yours is probably defective, as my ice lasts a very long time.

pastrygirl
10-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Did you ever drop your Hydroflask on the ground? I heard that the walled insulation can crack with drops. I think yours is probably defective, as my ice lasts a very long time.

That explains why my ice no longer keeps! I used to have ice for hours, but now it all melts within an hour or two. I dropped mine a while ago and it has a dent.

I thought it was because I was using the straw lid, but I tried the original lid and everything still melted.

AnnieW625
10-20-2016, 09:50 AM
I tested mine and it passed the defective test however I haven't gotten around to returning it yet (and I have dropped mine a few times....it is almost unavoidable IMHO). I notice that when I use the ice and water from the super cold fridges at work the ice stays colder longer than if I use ice from home and tap water.

melrose7
10-20-2016, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have never dropped it. I usually fill it with 10 or so ice cubes and water from the Brita pitcher out of the fridge. I will try the test to see if it is defective.

llama8
10-21-2016, 03:04 PM
I have 2 hydroflasks and never had that happen. I fill them 3/4 with ice and then the rest with water. My husband and I used them in Europe where we filled them in the morning, were out in 90 degree weather all day walking around cities in Italy and at night, we still had ice in them when we went to empty them.

Maybe you got a defective one??