PDA

View Full Version : Pinterest question

trcy
10-20-2016, 07:49 AM
I really don't know much about Pinterest; I only go on once in a while. How do I maintain privacy? All of my boards are secret, but I just got notification that someone is following me. I know it may be unreasonable, but it is creeping me out. Is there anything I can do so I am not be followed anymore? Also, I assume since my boards are secret, no one can see anything on it, right? So why would someone follow someone when they can't see any of their pins? Like I said, it creeps me out! Any advice or tips? TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

trcy
10-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Anyone?

specialp
10-21-2016, 09:34 AM
If all of your boards are secret, no one can see what you pin unless you specifically invite them. Someone may have decided to follow you because they recognized your name, thought they knew you, or do know you if your board is linked to your social media/fb account. My pinterest is public, but isn't linked to any social media and uses a generic name, not my real name.

SnuggleBuggles
10-21-2016, 09:40 AM
My pinterest is public, but isn't linked to any social media and uses a generic name, not my real name.
Same here. OP, what are your settings like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trcy
10-21-2016, 09:49 AM
Same here. OP, what are your settings like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OP here.
It's not linked to any social media and I have a generic name.
ETA: is there anyway to make the whole account private instead of just my boards?

khm
10-21-2016, 10:08 AM
OP here.
It's not linked to any social media and I have a generic name.
ETA: is there anyway to make the whole account private instead of just my boards?

I don't think there is. I'm not super into Pinterest, but I'd not worry about it. Lots of bots and biz accounts. Individuals who want ALL the followers. Maybe someone you pinned something off of follows all people to who pin them, hoping you follow them back. Maybe it's a bot, not a human at all. It might be a business who follows all their pinners.

If all your stuff is private, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a social network, I don't think you can take the "social" completely out of it. You are looking at other peoples stuff and you aren't creepy, right? :)

specialp
10-21-2016, 10:27 AM
No, you can't make the entire profile private and I think they limit how many boards you can make private. 5 maybe?

If all your stuff is private, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a social network, I don't think you can take the "social" completely out of it. You are looking at other peoples stuff and you aren't creepy, right? :)

but :yeah that: It's really not a big deal. It isn't linked, is a fake name, and your individual boards are private.

lhafer
10-22-2016, 02:39 PM
OP - why are you freaked out? There's no way anyone can know who you really are if you have it all generic. It's not like facebook or anything lie that. If start following people, you will get more pins with ideas that are similar to your interests.

trcy
10-22-2016, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I know you all are right, it's not reasonable that it creeps me out...it just does. Anyway, I guess I will just keep everything private and try not to worry about it.