PDA

View Full Version : Charley-horse muscle cramps

petesgirl
10-20-2016, 11:49 AM
My mom gets really awful Charley-horse type muscle cramps and she usually takes a magnesium and potassium supplement as soon as they start and that helps. The other night she had some awful muscle cramps that lasted most of the night and nothing helped. She saw a Dr the next day and he tested her electrolyte levels but she hasn't gotten those results back yet. I'm wondering if any of you have had this type of thing before and know something that helps. I bought her some magnesium oil to try, thinking if she rubs it on the cramping muscle it will absorb more quickly than swallowing a magnesium pill. Any other ideas?

wendibird22
10-20-2016, 11:56 AM
Does she take any medications? My mom was experiencing regular leg cramps and it was determined it was a side effect of one of her meds. It didn't start occurring until after being on that med successfully for years.

Here's a good list of meds that can cause muscle cramps: http://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-01-2013/drugs-that-can-cause-leg-cramps.html

JBaxter
10-20-2016, 11:59 AM
My mom and step dad swear drinking tonic water with quinine helps theirs. There are a bunch of articles online about it if you or she wants to read them. Make sure she is staying hydrated even slight dehydration can trigger them in some people.

petesgirl
10-20-2016, 12:04 PM
Does she take any medications? My mom was experiencing regular leg cramps and it was determined it was a side effect of one of her meds. It didn't start occurring until after being on that med successfully for years.

Here's a good list of meds that can cause muscle cramps: http://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-01-2013/drugs-that-can-cause-leg-cramps.html

She does take a blood pressure med that could potentially reduce her potassium. However, she has had them longer than she has been on the med.

abh5e8
10-20-2016, 01:16 PM
I know I had terrible leg cramps while pregnant, that store when I started taking calcium, magnesium and drinking tons of water.

mmommy
10-20-2016, 01:22 PM
I've always had horrible muscle cramps in my legs, which I've been told is genetic. The best thing for me has been drinking way more than my share of water and learning to meditate. I can meditate out of a cramp now.

Mikey0709
10-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Ok - this is going to sound REALLY odd.... but google "yellow mustard" for leg cramps.

My mom has been getting them for YEARS. She has been tested for everything. Mostly likely, the source is her lower back disc pain. SHe has tried bananas, quinine, tonic..... checked her potassium, magnesium...... she has been prescribed muscle relaxers, valium....... reduced her salt, increased her water... she has done IT ALL. SHe has had her circulation checked, mri's of her legs, even went through a surgury to open the veins (blood flow) through her legs. I do know it helps to keep her legs warm at night - no AC or even a fan on them - she keeps them covered.

I too believe it's genetic - because now I get them. Sometimes it's one leg/one calf.... but i also have them even in my toes. My mom get double cramps - if you can imagine a charley horse cramp in BOTH THIGHS at the same time. She screams in pain. It's impossible to even get up and walk it off.

And the quickest relief she gets - is by sucking down a pack or two of yellow mustard in the middle of the night. Seriously - google it - it works for her after YEARS of suffering. She still gets them, but the mustard seems to relieve them within minutes. She actually sleeps with yellow mustard packets near her bed.

Others swear by pickle juice - - so that is another quick try. As gross as it sounds, if i have a cramp coming on I have hobbled it the fridge and squirted mustard in my mouth trying to get relief. I'm still on the fence, but it definately works for my mom after YEARS of suffering.

marymoo86
10-20-2016, 02:31 PM
Topical application of magnesium would be better than an internal supplement. Epsom salt baths or mag oil/lotion would be preferable. However, mag oil can sting so I would opt for the lotion or epsom salt bath.

There are also herbal remedies and EO's that can be used. I did see that pickle juice was mentioned!

petesgirl
10-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Ok - this is going to sound REALLY odd.... but google "yellow mustard" for leg cramps.

My mom has been getting them for YEARS. She has been tested for everything. Mostly likely, the source is her lower back disc pain. SHe has tried bananas, quinine, tonic..... checked her potassium, magnesium...... she has been prescribed muscle relaxers, valium....... reduced her salt, increased her water... she has done IT ALL. SHe has had her circulation checked, mri's of her legs, even went through a surgury to open the veins (blood flow) through her legs. I do know it helps to keep her legs warm at night - no AC or even a fan on them - she keeps them covered.

I too believe it's genetic - because now I get them. Sometimes it's one leg/one calf.... but i also have them even in my toes. My mom get double cramps - if you can imagine a charley horse cramp in BOTH THIGHS at the same time. She screams in pain. It's impossible to even get up and walk it off.

And the quickest relief she gets - is by sucking down a pack or two of yellow mustard in the middle of the night. Seriously - google it - it works for her after YEARS of suffering. She still gets them, but the mustard seems to relieve them within minutes. She actually sleeps with yellow mustard packets near her bed.

Others swear by pickle juice - - so that is another quick try. As gross as it sounds, if i have a cramp coming on I have hobbled it the fridge and squirted mustard in my mouth trying to get relief. I'm still on the fence, but it definately works for my mom after YEARS of suffering.

I will pass the yellow mustard suggestion on to my mom! Who knows, it just might be her miracle cure!

barkley1
10-20-2016, 04:01 PM
This is the craziest sounding thing, but put a bar of ivory soap under the fitted sheet at the bottom of the bed. It totally eliminated them for my mom. I would have NEVER believed it, other than placebo effect, but once her leg cramps came back and they decided to check the bar of soap and it was gone! The cleaners found it and did not replace it when they changed the sheets. Crazy.

kishiyo
10-20-2016, 05:05 PM
Yes to pickle juice!
Conventional wisdom held that muscle cramps were due to dehydration. low thyroid, or lack of potassium, magnesium, or calcium. However, Dr. Rod MacKinnon found that cramps originate in the nerve, not the muscle. He developed a concoction called HotShot that helps prevent or treat muscle cramps. Please see www.teamhotshot.com.
Dr. MacKinnon notes that pickle juice, beet juice, or sour cherry juice works for some people, but not all.
Yellow mustard, as mentioned above, can also help. A doctor friend of mine sucks down a couple of packets of mustard in between sets when she plays tennis.
Please note that most of these muscle cramp studies were done on athletes, but these remedies can also help some people with night leg cramps.
Anecdotally, epsom salt baths do help some people with their cramps, and it can help constipation and insomnia.

mousemom
10-20-2016, 05:16 PM
My mom and step dad swear drinking tonic water with quinine helps theirs. There are a bunch of articles online about it if you or she wants to read them. Make sure she is staying hydrated even slight dehydration can trigger them in some people.

My parents switched to a nightly gin and tonic for their evening drink and say that it helps with the nighttime cramps they were having.