PDA

View Full Version : Who to contact in town government?

liz
10-24-2016, 09:16 AM
I'll admit, I never really gave much thought to our town government. But now I need to reach out to someone who can help with an issue we are having in our neighborhood. I live on a pretty rural road surrounded by trees. We have had so many dead trees/branches fall that it's become a hazard. We desperately need the town to cut down dead trees and hanging branches. We've lost power 6 times over 10 months (starting on Christmas day of last year) due to trees and branches falling on the electrical wires. It's normal to see dead branches on the road constantly. I called the town public works because there at least a half dozen dead trees at one area of our street. It's actually pretty close to wear cars and students wait for the bus. Public works just tells me that they have a limited town budget and that they'll add me to a list. I don't really have much hope there. Oh, and we live on a dead end street (but at least 40 houses) and there have been times that we can't leave the neighborhood until the police have cleared the scene.

So who do I call? Honestly, I have no idea where to start!

Pear
10-24-2016, 09:20 AM
Are the trees on public property or private? Private would be zoning violations.

If it is public, I would contact your city council representative.

liz
10-24-2016, 09:23 AM
All along the road, just inches away from the paved road.

o_mom
10-24-2016, 09:27 AM
I'll admit, I never really gave much thought to our town government. But now I need to reach out to someone who can help with an issue we are having in our neighborhood. I live on a pretty rural road surrounded by trees. We have had so many dead trees/branches fall that it's become a hazard. We desperately need the town to cut down dead trees and hanging branches. We've lost power 6 times over 10 months (starting on Christmas day of last year) due to trees and branches falling on the electrical wires. It's normal to see dead branches on the road constantly. I called the town public works because there at least a half dozen dead trees at one area of our street. It's actually pretty close to wear cars and students wait for the bus. Public works just tells me that they have a limited town budget and that they'll add me to a list. I don't really have much hope there. Oh, and we live on a dead end street (but at least 40 houses) and there have been times that we can't leave the neighborhood until the police have cleared the scene.

So who do I call? Honestly, I have no idea where to start!

I would look on your town website to see who is in charge. Typically you will have a town council or board. There may be a representative specifically for your area. They can usually help you navigate the system.

hillview
10-24-2016, 09:36 AM
I'd write a letter. Get ALL your neighbors to sign it. I'd sent it to the mayor, the public works department, the police (safety), the school and anyone else you can think of. I'd make specific references to the hazards to children.

khm
10-24-2016, 09:44 AM
I'd write a letter. Get ALL your neighbors to sign it. I'd sent it to the mayor, the public works department, the police (safety), the school and anyone else you can think of. I'd make specific references to the hazards to children.

I'd also send it to your electric company, planning/zoning and the fire department.

Dayzy
10-24-2016, 10:53 AM
In my town they would refer to the power company. Ours has tree trimmers specifically employed to take care of clearing lines.

squimp
10-24-2016, 10:56 AM
In my town they would refer to the power company. Ours has tree trimmers specifically employed to take care of clearing lines.

Here too. I'd call your power company first - it is their job to keep the power going to your house.

LD92599
10-24-2016, 12:02 PM
For us it would be the Shade Tree Commission, but i'd also reach out to 1) DPW (department of public works - those that collect trash, grass, leaves etc) and 2) post on a local, town only FB group?

Corie
10-24-2016, 02:11 PM

Yes! This is a great idea.

chlobo
10-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Our town will clear trees in an emergency but generally, trees over power lines are the responsibility of the power company. They are in our town every spring and fall cutting back trees to prevent problems. Doesn't usually work but they try.

bigsis
10-24-2016, 08:37 PM
If you know your local council member, I'd start there.