PDA

View Full Version : Best place for children's comforter and duvet?

wendibird22
10-24-2016, 11:27 AM
I feel like this gets asked fairly regularly but didn't turn up what I was hoping for in a search.

Looking to get both DDs nice quality comforters (down or alternative) and duvets for Xmas. DD2 has a cheep "monster high" themed comforter/bed set from Walmart that's a few years old and after having washed/dried it several times its all massively lumpy and misshapen. DD1 has an ok, basic cotton/poly comforter (also from walmart) but refuses to use a top sheet and also layers on about 3 more blankets. I think she likes the weight of all the bedding, that and she sleeps with a little desk fan on year round.

Both girls have twin size beds. Would like something machine washable and that'll last them years.

SnuggleBuggles
10-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Ds2 got a down alternative comforter from Garnet Hill 3 years ago and it still is perfect.
Ds1 got a duvet and cover at IKEA 2 years ago and no problems there either.
I prefer the Garnet Hill one but I'm also not a fan of duvets and covers- I prefer all in ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat?
10-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Pottery Barn Kids has great quality sheets if you like the crisp, smooth feel. We have a couple of sheet sets and a duvet cover for our kids that still look new, apart from the bloody nose stains that I let sit too long :/

AnnieW625
10-24-2016, 11:41 AM
Dd1's is a Calvin Klein Home duvet from Macy's (ca. 2008 or 2009) and we bought the cover in 2010 iirc from Ikea. Both have held up great. Dd2's is the Carter Club brand from Macy's and the duvet cover is from PBKids. Both have held up well as well. The IKEA one was great for the price, but when I was looking in 2012 for Dd2 they didn't have anything I liked. Both are twin bed sized.

Mikey0709
10-24-2016, 12:29 PM
We love down comforters, but HATE duvets - - duvets don't work well with my squirmy kids.

Purchased 2 twin down comforters from Garnet Hill about 3 years ago in the medium blue shade. They are going strong through quite a few machine washings/dryings, and just ordered a 3rd in dark navy blue.

LOVE that they come in DARK colors, and with them being machine washable - we don't feel we need duvets.

I wait for 20% off with free shipping.... i think the last one i purchased came to $111. total. BEST PURCHASE EVER.

In the past we have owned down alternative from Ikea - also nice, 1/2 the price, but definately didn't hold up as well as the garnet hill is.

Philly Mom
10-24-2016, 12:44 PM
I hate comforters and love duvets. We love the IKEA ones.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains mobile app

legaleagle
10-24-2016, 12:47 PM
We've had both the garnet hill alternative ones and a land of nod alternative one and they've both held up great - both dark colors. The land of nod one is heavier than the garnet hill one though I have no idea if it's actually warmer.. I've used them both with and without duvet covers, depending on kid's request (mostly no cover)

KpbS
10-24-2016, 01:12 PM
I've always loved the Company Store down (and down alternative) comforters. Lots of different weights (for varying levels of warmth) and a ton of colors.

http://www.thecompanystore.com/comforters
http://www.thecompanystore.com/kids
http://www.thecompanystore.com/kids-sale?cm_re=cs-sale-clearance-kids

starmommy
10-24-2016, 05:40 PM
I bought a pottery barn kids duvet for my daughter this year and it is very comfy and warm ( Quallowarm Down Alternative).

cuca_
10-24-2016, 05:48 PM
I like Ikea duvets for the kids. I have a Lands End duvet on my bed, that has held up really well. For covers the kids have Pottery Barn covers and they have all held up very well.

dhano923
10-24-2016, 09:25 PM
We do comforters, no duvets. DS has a comforter from Macy's and a quilt from Land of Nod. DD has a comforter set (teen styling) from JCPenneys.

HomeGoods and TJ Maxx have nice kid/teen options sometimes.

wendibird22
10-25-2016, 12:33 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. Keeping my eye on promo codes. Was able to get nice duvet covers from Company Store Kids with 25% off but their down comforters are pricier than Garnet Hill and PBK...neither with a code right now though. I wanted to get both a pattern that I think will last them through their tween years at least without looking childish and Company Store had some nice selection that wasn't childish but also not adult looking.

Unfortunately I'm no where near an Ikea (closest is 3hrs away across the border!).

KpbS
10-25-2016, 01:43 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. Keeping my eye on promo codes. Was able to get nice duvet covers from Company Store Kids with 25% off but their down comforters are pricier than Garnet Hill and PBK...neither with a code right now though. I wanted to get both a pattern that I think will last them through their tween years at least without looking childish and Company Store had some nice selection that wasn't childish but also not adult looking.

Unfortunately I'm no where near an Ikea (closest is 3hrs away across the border!).

Awesome! Company Store comforters are fantastic quality. They last and last.

urquie
10-26-2016, 03:07 AM
My girls have had this set from IKEA for about seven years...
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20159635/#/40159644

It's a nice neutral that has really grown with them… when they were younger we had light pink sheets and similarly matching curtains. Now one of them has turquoise pillows as her accent and the other has a dark green Sherpa throw blanket from Costco. :-)