PDA

View Full Version : Good Halloween or spooky cartoons or movies for younger kids?

TxCat
10-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Wondering if anyone has recommendations for good Halloween or slightly spooky movies for the 4-7 yo set? My 6yo in kindergarten loves all things Halloween and spooky/scary so I was looking for something to watch with her this weekend but also something to have on on Halloween night before trick or treating (we invite several families over to our house for dinner and trick or treating in our neighborhood). I'm drawing a complete blank on any appropriate movies or cartoons. Thanks in advance!!

elbenn
10-26-2016, 05:19 PM
Hotel Transylvania
Alvin & the Chipmunks Meet Wolfman or Frankenstein
Wallace & Gromit Curse of the Wererabbit

lizzywednesday
10-26-2016, 07:31 PM
Seconding the Alvin and the Chipmunks cartoons - they're both on Netflix, too!

I'm fond of Curse of the Wererabbit myself, but I don't remember if DD likes it.

We both like It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! and Mickey's Monster Musical, but I advise you skip Spookley the Square Pumpkin because I find it annoying. (DD loves it, though, so YMMV.)

The Halloween episodes of Sofia the First and Elena of Avalor are also big hits here. (Though, technically, the Elena episode is Dia de los Muertos, not Halloween, but it's the right season.)

DD also likes The Nightmare Before Christmas, and I love this movie, but I hesitate to recommend it without any reservations because of how truly bizarre the film itself is. We also like The Corpse Bride but again I hesitate to recommend it unreservedly because of the weirdness, though it's oddly less creepy than Nightmare, IMO.

Last, not entirely a Halloween movie, but DD enjoyed the 1st Harry Potter movie (Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone) though she does get spooked near the end during the final confrontation between Harry and He Who Must Not Be Named.

AlbrightRC
10-26-2016, 07:45 PM
spooky buddies

KrisM
10-26-2016, 07:52 PM
We've been watching Halloweentown since DS1 was 7.5 He loved it then. DD thought it was slightly scary at 5.5, but has watched them easily for a few years. There are a few of them. Four, maybe.

Tenasparkl
10-26-2016, 08:01 PM
Coraline, Paranorman, Hotel Transylvannia (and the sequel), The Book of Life (Day of the Dead not Halloween)

There are also less scary options like Halloween episodes of TV shows (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and most of the Disney Jr. shows) and Curious George Boofest for the younger kids in the group

ellies mom
10-26-2016, 08:38 PM
Not sure how easy it is to find but Scary Godmother is cute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marymoo86
10-26-2016, 08:54 PM
Probably only on YouTube but Donald duck and Trick or Treat is really cute. Short though about 10 minutes
https://youtu.be/QkJglpEueHo

TwinFoxes
10-26-2016, 09:08 PM
spooky buddies
Exactly what I was going to post.

123LuckyMom
10-26-2016, 09:45 PM
Toy Story of Terror hasn't been suggested yet. And my kids love Nightmare Before Christmas, but I know some kids would be spooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

klwa
10-27-2016, 08:07 AM
At that age range, my husband was letting the kids watch Ernest: Scared Stupid. https://www.amazon.com/Ernest-Scared-Stupid-Jim-Varney/dp/B004JNXE8O Silly, a little scary, but it all works out in the end.

Or possibly one of the Halloweentown movies: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DTP6XS6/ref=pd_cbs_318_2

lizzywednesday
10-27-2016, 09:00 AM
Coraline, Paranorman, Hotel Transylvannia (and the sequel), The Book of Life (Day of the Dead not Halloween) ...

I'd skip Coraline myself, and despite having a relatively un-spook-able child, I've not let her watch it yet. She flat-out refused to watch Paranorman, but I think she'd be fine with it. (If you have any concerns, definitely watch these before showing them to your DD1, OP.)

I can't believe I didn't remember Book of Life! I enjoyed it, as did DD. But, yes, it deals with Dia de los Muertos, like the episode of Elena of Avalor I recommended.

lizzywednesday
10-27-2016, 09:05 AM
At that age range, my husband was letting the kids watch Ernest: Scared Stupid. https://www.amazon.com/Ernest-Scared-Stupid-Jim-Varney/dp/B004JNXE8O Silly, a little scary, but it all works out in the end. ...

I like that one, but haven't let DD watch it yet, not because I object to anything but because I haven't really thought about figuring out whether to buy it or not.

I'm also considering Hocus Pocus because it's at a similar level of silliness, peril, and spooky bits.

lizzywednesday
10-27-2016, 09:09 AM
Probably only on YouTube but Donald duck and Trick or Treat is really cute. Short though about 10 minutes
https://youtu.be/QkJglpEueHo

This used to be part of the Disney's Halloween Treat collection of cartoons they'd pair with their retelling of the "Legend of Sleepy Hollow."

jam224
10-27-2016, 09:11 AM
What about Haunted Mansion with Eddie Murphy? We're also huge fans of classic Scooby-Doo! 😊

KpbS
10-27-2016, 10:35 AM
There's a Cat in the Hat Halloween movie tomorrow on PBS (replaying a couple of times in the next few days) and a Curious George Halloween movie also airing on PBS that mine have enjoyed.

fauve01
10-27-2016, 12:45 PM
Wondering if anyone has recommendations for good Halloween or slightly spooky movies for the 4-7 yo set? My 6yo in kindergarten loves all things Halloween and spooky/scary so I was looking for something to watch with her this weekend but also something to have on on Halloween night before trick or treating (we invite several families over to our house for dinner and trick or treating in our neighborhood). I'm drawing a complete blank on any appropriate movies or cartoons. Thanks in advance!!

We love Room on the Broom. it's a children's book by Julia Donaldson, that was made into an animated 30-min show. here is the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzYgfuycWWw
I think it will be shown on Sprouts channel Saturday, otherwise it's on DVD.

another fun story, not necessarily Halloween, but a bit spooky, is a book-turned-animated show (story by the same author, Julia Donaldson) called The Gruffalo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZuiCDOlms

I believe there is a Pooh bear Halloween movie. can't remember the name.

we used to enjoy the Dora the explorer and Berenstein Bears and Franklin the turtle Halloween episodes.

ETA: At that age my DD loved the black and white episodes in season 1 of Bewitched. ;)

eTA Again: just saw there will be a Munsters marathon on this weekend. that's always hilarious.

I think there are also a couple Shrek Halloween shows.

lizzywednesday
10-27-2016, 12:53 PM
We love Room on the Broom. it's a children's book by Julia Donaldson, that was made into an animated 30-min show. here is the trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzYgfuycWWw
I think it will be shown on Sprouts channel Saturday, otherwise it's on DVD. ...

It's also available on Netflix.

Tenasparkl
10-27-2016, 02:23 PM
What about E.T.? It isn't really a Halloween movie, but it does take place around Halloween. I just watched it with my 4 & 8 year olds and they loved it. I did say up front - he gets home, nobody dies, they're all OK at the end - and that eased the concerns they had.

Room on the Broom is adorable! I suggested Coraline and Paranorman above but haven't seen them. My DD doesn't want to watch, but she has friends/classmates her age that like both movies.

jam224
10-27-2016, 06:16 PM
I totally forgot about Room on the Broom! We love that one! It's also available on Amazon Prime, as well as Gruffalo, Gruffalo's Child, and Stick Man (the last two are more Christmas themed, but we watch them all together anyway!).

bisous
10-27-2016, 06:34 PM
It's also available on Netflix.

Ooh. DD and I just read that book today and I really liked it. Thanks for the recommendation. It is time for us to start celebrating this very soon approaching holiday!

Corie
10-28-2016, 04:06 PM
What about some of the Disney Channel Halloween movies? Not sure if they would scare young kids.
Probably depends on the child.

Disney Channel Halloween movies:
*Twitches
*Twitches Too
*Girl vs. Monster
*All 3 Halloweentown movies
*Under Wraps
*My Babysitter's A Vampire

Here are a few R.L. Stine Halloween movies that we like too.
*Monsterville: Cabinet of Souls
*Mostly Ghostly
*The Haunting Hour: Don't Think About It

BDKmom
10-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Thanks to those who recommended Room on the Broom. We watched it last night and the kids loved it! We are watching it again this morning. [emoji4]

SASM
10-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Hotel Transylvania (& 2)
Monsters vs Aliens
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - I bought this at Target recently...classic cartoon and not overly Halloween-ish.
Tower of Terror (it is a Steve Guttenburg World Of Disney TV movie that my kids enjoyed)
Nightmare Before Christmas - this was a favorite of my sensitive youngest for a while.

Hocus Pocus...maybe. They mentioned "virgin" about 50 times in the movie and my 6th grader was asking what that meant after #10.
Haunted Mansion...one of our faves but it might be too spooky with younger set.