PDA

View Full Version : How to get a costume hat to stay on?

khalloc
10-28-2016, 10:46 AM
DD had her heart set on a white witch costume from Chasing Fireflies. DH gave in and bought it. We got it a bit large (size 14-16) even though she is about a size 12. Its slightly loose - except for the darn hat! We have big heads. My family has big heads, I have a big head, DH has a big head, hence our kids have big heads! The hat does not fit. They sewed a wide elastic onto the hat, but the way it sits is that the elastic is below the "V" of the witches' hat, so if your head cant fit into the "V", the elastic hangs down and sits flat against your forehead. So you can clearly see it under the brim of the hat and it looks stupid.

Not sure what do do since the hat kind of makes the costume and the school Halloween dance is tonight. I could maybe find some hair clips and somehow poke them thru the hat (cutting it) and have them attach to her hair? Another idea is maybe adding a ribbon to tie under her chin, but honestly I dont think she will be happy with that solution.

Any ideas?? I'll try to post a picture

trcy
10-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Could you somehow secure it with bobby pins?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

newnana
10-28-2016, 11:20 AM
For performance costumes we often sew on a clear chin strap. You take a clear plastic strap (like those clear bra straps), attach it to one side above/in front of the ear. Sew it in an X to get it really secure. kiddo puts on the hat, figure out how long it needs to be and where it should attach on the other side and sew that one in too. We've never had one come off and these are super active performances.

newnana
10-28-2016, 11:24 AM
I just remembered, for hats that won't really go over their heads we've sewn two pieces of thin elastic straps criss-crossed on the inside bottom of the hat so it makes an "x" in the opening of the hat. Then secure the hat to the head with cross-crossed bobby pins.