PDA

View Full Version : favorite kid potato recipes

Reader
11-01-2016, 04:38 PM
I have a big bag of potatoes to use up and don't want to make French fries. One kid has decided he doesn't like mashed potatoes and a second child has decided he doesn't like baked potatoes (3rd child is like me and will eat any kind of potatoes). Any easy potato recipe suggestions?

sariana
11-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Soup! Potato soup or any kind of chowder.

It's technically mashed potatoes, but would the one child accept Shephard's Pie?

Scalloped potatoes.

I don't have any great recipes (I'm a terrible cook), but I know there are easy versions of all of the above.

candaceb
11-01-2016, 05:02 PM
I make roasted potatoes - cut the potatoes in wedges, toss in olive oil, salt, and rosemary. Bake at 425 for about 30 minutes.
You could also do hasselback potatoes but those are *not* healthy.

acmom
11-01-2016, 05:05 PM
I make roasted potatoes - cut the potatoes in wedges, toss in olive oil, salt, and rosemary. Bake at 425 for about 30 minutes.
You could also do hasselback potatoes but those are *not* healthy.

We do similar roasted potatoes but cut them into little chunks and we do them with olive oil, lemon, garlic salt, S&P. My potato hating daughter even likes them! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

anonomom
11-01-2016, 05:07 PM
I make roasted potatoes a lot; just cubed and tossed with olive oil and salt.

This recipe is also delicious:

http://www.food.com/recipe/yukon-gold-potatoes-sauteed-in-clarified-butter-212925. I do not bother to clarify the butter and it turns out fine.

Soccermomm
11-01-2016, 05:15 PM
Mine loves the roasted potatoes also, but his new favorite is twice baked. Ask for them every week now.

georgiegirl
11-01-2016, 10:26 PM
Roasted potatoes here. Easy and yummy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

elbenn
11-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Yes to the roasted potatoes! Chowder is a good idea, too. Shepherd's pie or twice baked potatoes.

123LuckyMom
11-02-2016, 12:19 AM
NOT healthy, but my mom used to make homemade potato chips, and they are AMAZING!!! I've made them, but not since having kids. They're super easy. Just use a food processor to slice the potatoes and use plenty of oil-- not just a tablespoon. This isn't pan frying. There should be half an inch of oil in the pan. The potatoes will rise to the top of the oil when they're done. Skim them off and dry/cool them on paper towel. They crisp up as they cool, but if they're thick, they have some give. They're caloric, but remember, fat slows carbohydrate digestion, so fried potatoes are actually better, carbohydrate-wise, than baked. Isn't that great?!!!!

klwa
11-02-2016, 08:39 AM
Will the child who doesn't eat mashed potatoes do boiled potatoes? Dh only tolerates mashed potatoes but loves them boiled, with butter salt & pepper on them after they're done. Or breakfast potatoes: https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/557403-fried-potatoes-with-onions

div_0305
11-02-2016, 12:44 PM
NOT healthy, but my mom used to make homemade potato chips, and they are AMAZING!!! I've made them, but not since having kids. They're super easy. Just use a food processor to slice the potatoes and use plenty of oil-- not just a tablespoon. This isn't pan frying. There should be half an inch of oil in the pan. The potatoes will rise to the top of the oil when they're done. Skim them off and dry/cool them on paper towel. They crisp up as they cool, but if they're thick, they have some give. They're caloric, but remember, fat slows carbohydrate digestion, so fried potatoes are actually better, carbohydrate-wise, than baked. Isn't that great?!!!!

My son has been asking me to make chips at home, but I thought I'd need some special slicer! I have a food processor. Do you have to dry out the potato pieces before frying and what temp do you use for the oil (high, med, med-high)? We love roasting potatoes as so many have mentioned above. Delish.

123LuckyMom
11-02-2016, 10:24 PM
My son has been asking me to make chips at home, but I thought I'd need some special slicer! I have a food processor. Do you have to dry out the potato pieces before frying and what temp do you use for the oil (high, med, med-high)? We love roasting potatoes as so many have mentioned above. Delish.

I use the slicer blade on my cuisinart. You can just wash the potatoes first or wash and peel them. I pat them dry on a paper towel before putting them in the oil. I heat the oil on medium high heat and just wait until it's hot before adding the potatoes. I add them in batches to make sure they have enough room to rise, and I'll adjust the heat to make sure the potatoes cook through without burning. Make sure to salt them right after they come out of the oil if you want to salt them. I haven't made these in years and years, but it's not at all hard.

div_0305
11-03-2016, 11:23 AM
I use the slicer blade on my cuisinart. You can just wash the potatoes first or wash and peel them. I pat them dry on a paper towel before putting them in the oil. I heat the oil on medium high heat and just wait until it's hot before adding the potatoes. I add them in batches to make sure they have enough room to rise, and I'll adjust the heat to make sure the potatoes cook through without burning. Make sure to salt them right after they come out of the oil if you want to salt them. I haven't made these in years and years, but it's not at all hard.

Thanks! DS will be happy!

Liziz
11-03-2016, 03:11 PM
Some variation on roast potatoes like everyone has been suggesting is super easy and my kids scarf them down. I usually cut them super small so they more easily roast up nice and crispy, which is how DD loves them the most.

This takes a bit more time and effort but is still super easy, and everyone I make them for (my kids included) scarf them down and love them -- http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crash-hot-potatoes/