PDA

View Full Version : if you use a fitbit or other how many steps do you log in a day?

diamond
11-02-2016, 08:20 AM
if you use a fitbit or other how many steps do you log in a day? i am hardly getting to 8000 steps and thats on a good day

jgenie
11-02-2016, 08:30 AM
I aim for 15k steps. On a good day I can hit 20k.

candaceb
11-02-2016, 08:39 AM
If I don't deliberately go out and walk, I rarely hit 10,000. I try to get 10,000 5 days a week. If it's a sloth day where I am just home and not doing anything special, it's around 3000.

ett
11-02-2016, 09:04 AM
I generally hit at least 10-12 K steps on a weekday when I'm out and about running errands, doing school pickup/drop off, doing chores around the house, etc. On a lazy day where I haven't left the house and am not doing much, I may only hit 6-7K. But even if I'm just at home doing chores and dealing with kids stuff, I will still hit close to 10K steps.

elbenn
11-02-2016, 09:33 AM
If I go for a walk, usually around 12k, but if I don't, it's usually around 8-9k. 15k would be a really good day.

lalasmama
11-02-2016, 09:42 AM
I work in an office, on the computer and phone all day. My "work only" day goal is 5k. On workout days, I'm more in the 15k range (workout is generally 3-4 miles on the treadmill), 5 days a week.

If you are using fit bit and getting discouraged because you are so far from your goal, you can change your goals so that you reach them easier, and can then work on increasing it. Go into your account settings on your app to do this.

BananaMama
11-02-2016, 09:44 AM
10k on a normal day. 5k on a super lazy lay around day (which is like... never). 20k on vacation in WDW. I work a full time desk job but I work out 5-6 days a week and take walks at lunch most days, hiking on weekends.

momof2girls
11-02-2016, 11:56 AM
I do between 18k-22k daily. But that's only bc I set a goal od 130000 steps a week for myself.

wendibird22
11-02-2016, 11:58 AM
M-F I work full time at a desk job. If I don't exercise those days I hit 5-6K. I hit 10-12K if I go for a 3mi or longer run. On a weekend, if I'm home all day, even with chores like laundry, if I don't go for a run it's a stretch to hit 5K...keeping bathrooms and pushing a vacuum just doesn't log many steps.

Mommy_Mea
11-02-2016, 12:21 PM
On busy days in the office, I struggle to hit 7k-8k, and that is with a significant walk from the train. On days I go for a run and do lots of errands and activities with the family, I get in the 15k-17k range. Most days are in between. I have hit 20k twice in the year that I have had the fit bit, but that was on vacation with working out at the hotel and then hiking, just going all day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Baby Bargains mobile app

baymom
11-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Not very many. I work full time at a desk job and if I don't make any effort to exercise, I only hit about 5-6K a day. And, that's on the days that I take the train to work and have to walk the 3 blocks to my office from the station. If I drive, it's even less. I do generally hit at least 10K on weekends, but that's because I make a concerted effort to exercise--never from just doing household chores. I just went from part time to full time last month, but earlier, I was able to get about 8K/day. Also, we adopted a dog in May and when I take her on longer walks, we hit 10-12K steps. I could never hit 10K steps from just my regular life without putting some thought into trying to reach that goal. I'm so impressed and inspired with all the PP who hit so many steps a day!

ETA--We just came back from a weeklong vacation where we regularly hit at least at least 25K steps a day and that was with walking all day long.

khalloc
11-02-2016, 12:35 PM
Usually between 10k-13k. I have an desk job so by 3pm I am lucky to have 4000 steps. Once I get home, I walk the dog once or twice, and spend alot of time picking up the house, walking up/down stairs, etc....i swear 50% of my steps are putting the kids to bed because I am walking between the 1st & 2nd floors like 10 times a night before they actually go to bed. 17k+ would be a really active day for me. 13-17k is an average day, maybe when I also spend some time exercising (rarely!)

AnnieW625
11-02-2016, 02:14 PM
M-F I work full time at a desk job. If I don't exercise those days I hit 5-6K. I hit 10-12K if I go for a 3mi or longer run. On a weekend, if I'm home all day, even with chores like laundry, if I don't go for a run it's a stretch to hit 5K...keeping bathrooms and pushing a vacuum just doesn't log many steps.

Almost the same as though I prefer walking to running. I keep my goal set low at 5k steps though as I want to hear it buzz daily. Most days I am between 4500 and 7000.

ang79
11-02-2016, 10:09 PM
When I was walking to/from the bus stop with the girls several days a week making 10,000 steps was pretty easy. Right now I am driving them to school so I rarely make the 10,000 goal, average is 5,000-6,000, unless I am out running lots of errands, then its more. We are currently in a teeny tiny apartment, so even doing chores around the house does not give me many steps. And on days that I substitute teach I am on my feet most of the day, but I'm not walking fast and swinging my arms in the classroom so even on those days it is hard to get to 10,000. That is the downside to my Flex, I feel like it doesn't really count all the steps I take if I am not swinging my left arm.

okinawama
11-02-2016, 10:19 PM
I'm a teacher, and usually leave school with 12,000 steps. After putting the kids to bed I usually have 14-15k. Weekends, I usually only have 8-10k.

ang79
11-02-2016, 10:32 PM
I'm a teacher, and usually leave school with 12,000 steps. After putting the kids to bed I usually have 14-15k. Weekends, I usually only have 8-10k.

How do you get that many steps teaching? Which device do you use? Just curious, because the days I am in the classroom are usually less than when I am running errands.

jacksmomtobe
11-03-2016, 07:15 AM
I avg 24k a day but I am a sahm with a young dog. I usually walk the dog in the woods each morning and start my day with about 7k. I am a competitive person and have two friends who nip at my heels one of which was a high level competitive runner so they keep me moving. My kids take advantage of my competitive spirit and ask me to get things they have forgotten upstairs. When I complain they either say it will get you more steps or you don't want friend s catching up to you. I do a lot of walking around the house. I fold laundry in our family room then purposely take separate trips up and down our stairs with small piles of clothes. My hardest days are the weekend since my kids play club soccer and hockey which means I am stuck driving in the car for hours and also stand around watching them play. I am a bit...ok completely addicted to the Fitbit

diamond
11-03-2016, 10:01 AM
omg you all are amazing.. i need to up my steps..

elbenn
11-03-2016, 10:15 AM
I avg 24k a day but I am a sahm with a young dog.

I just have to say, wow! I got this amount of steps when I was at WDW and walking all day. To do that every day is quite an accomplishment!

mackmama
11-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Before my knee injury i was aiming for 12k per day. Sometimes only 8k but rarely above 12.

american_mama
11-04-2016, 09:25 PM
I think it varies a lot, mostly by person but a little by activity tracker. I had a Jawbone UP24 last fall and used it for 2-3 months. I have sedentary job three days a week with a bit of a walk from the parking lot, and a normal life of errands, cleaning, occasional gardening, carpooling the other days. I got 3,000-6,000 on work days and never over 8,000 steps in a day. Then I got a simple Fit Bit clipon in the spring, and my steps went up to 5,000 minimum, high of maybe 11,000. I only used it for 2-3 months due to a broken foot and then getting out of the habit. A coworker had a Nike tracker or something and said the same thing, that she had way more steps on the FitBit.

But I know someone who does national FitBit Challenges online and such, and she gets 70,000 and more steps in a day, something completely unbelievable to me. She takes 1-2 walks a day, got all her friends into it, walks in place constantly including while homeschooling her kids, marched in place at Girl Scout cookie booths, etc.. I thought she was obsessed: she started to lament driving her kids 45 minutes to gymnastics class because of all the steps she would miss. She would do a lot of steps just after midnight to get a jump on the next day's steps.