PDA

View Full Version : School bus overcrowding

khalloc
11-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Yesterday my kids told me that they got assigned seats on the bus. OK. I'm fine with that. But they said in some instances there are 5 kids assigned to the same seat! Some seats only have 1 kid. According to DD, the bus driver said that some kids arent on the bus every day so that will even things out (like there might only be 3 of the 5 kids on the bus who are assigned to seat #1). I feel like the bus seats were meant for 2. I could maybe see 3 kids to a seat if they are young and small (like up to 3rd grade). but DD is in 5th grade and weighs about 85 pounds and she has 2 other 5th graders in the seat with her! One is a boy who is on the husky side, the other is a tall slim girl (not that I care, but really 3 decent sized 5th graders sharing a seat?). I'm not sure what to do. I kind of feel like this could be unsafe (especially if there are more than 3 kids to a seat). DD had all 3 kids on the bus with her yesterday and DS also rode in a seat with 3 kids total. Should I wait to see how this plays out? Maybe there wont be more than 3 kids to a seat? Or email the school? I dont really want to have to talk to the bus driver in person.

WWYD? We live 3.7 miles from the school and the top speed limit is 35 MPH. But the kids are on the bus for about 40 minutes to go that distance.

DH didnt think it was a big deal, he grew up in rural VT and said they always sat 3+ kids to a seat, even in high school! I grew up in the city and took an MBTA bus where we either stood up, or sat on a single bus seat.

JBaxter
11-02-2016, 11:30 AM
It would be a no go in our state. We have seatbelts on our busses 3 seat belts per seat that is the max number and the kids must buckle up.

Mikey0709
11-02-2016, 02:33 PM
I believe there was a discussion about this before on these boards - - in response to how crowded some school busses were. I remember because I was SHOCKED to learn that in our district we are allowed 3 per bus seat. This is even in high school. (size did not come into play at all) I'm a larger person - and last time i was on a school bus - i wanted a seat to myself it was so cramped.

I think you should look up requirements for your district and start there. I was able to find ours online.