PDA

View Full Version : Class participation

Globetrotter
11-02-2016, 01:40 PM
I didn't want to hijack the other thread about academics, but I thought this was a really cool idea.

Our school has a really nice philosophy towards class participation. They realize that some kids participate a lot and others don't, so they encourage the ones who participate all the time to give the others a chance, and DS has been really good about that. His teacher said he will look around the room and see if anyone else wants to answer first. They even give out rewards points for participation. Also, no one is allowed to make fun of other ideas. I think that's a really essential thing because people like my DD, on the other hand, struggle to participate in class, though she is no less intelligent. She would have benefited from this.

squimp
11-02-2016, 01:45 PM
We were just talking about this at conferences last night. I think that's a great idea.

sariana
11-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Yes, this is part of the philosophy behind movements such as the "no hands" classroom. Some teachers now do not allow students to raise their hands to participate. Participation is expected, so they use "equity sticks" (basically draw names randomly) or apps that randomize class lists to call on students. Students practice using "Conversation Cards" or other cues to help them interact appropriately. For example, a card might provide the prompt "I agree with [name] because..." or "I can see that point, but I disagree because..." Obviously these would vary depending on grade level and material being covered. (I've worked with middle school.) But the idea is to create a safe environment where all students are supported to participate, including Language Learners, Special Education, and everyone else.

Just a note: These methods can be adapted to allow for accommodations, such as skipping a student temporarily or providing a "heads up" tons student who reacts poorly to being called on cold.