PDA

View Full Version : HR & Interview help

bigsis
11-03-2016, 10:32 AM
I was fired last week. It was a very unorthodox workplace--it was me, the Controller, and the owner. The owner liked me, gave me a raise and an additional week of vacation. But the Controller didn't. I was on a short leash--"don't put too much paper in the copier", "don't put another pot of coffee in the afternoon," "CC me on the repair requests even if it's $20" and then proceed to second guess my very minute decisions. And guess what, those $20 decisions, I would ask the owner, so not really my decisions, but she wanted in on all of it. Problem is owner didn't put anything in writing for me and the Controller didn't put much in writing either.

Anyhow, I became the scapegoat for a lot of things. So I was fired. Today I have an interview. What do I say as to why I was terminated? Any "acceptable" reasons for getting fired? Thank you for your help and insight.

echoesofspring
11-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Ugh, sounds like a really hard situation. Ask a manager has some suggestions on how to handle: http://www.askamanager.org/2008/02/should-you-say-you-were-fired.html

Perhaps there's a spin on it you can take. If they aren't going to replace you, it could be as simple as the controller felt they needed to downsize. Focus on your relationship with the owner and your accomplishments. Good luck!

bigsis
11-03-2016, 11:48 AM
Thanks Dawn! That scenario in that article is actually somewhat similar to what I've experienced as well so it's very helpful. Thanks again!