PDA

View Full Version : How should I handle Special Ed kids in playground?

ckso
11-03-2016, 09:43 PM
First off, I hope I don't offend anyone in asking this question but I'm asking because I want to do the right thing

DD2 is in TK and shares the playground (during recess and after lunch) with 2 other TK classes as well as the special Ed class.

I volunteer 1-2x a week in the classroom and that includes volunteering in the playground. Some of the kids are aggressive. They hit, push and refused to share or take turns. Normal for this age. Usually I would just intervene, tell them to stop, takes turns etc.

Most of the kids will be ok but I'm having trouble getting the special ed kids to stop. Like today, I couldn't get one to get off the bike so the other kids in line can have their turn.

So...what should I be doing? I have tried telling one of the other staff on duty but they just say "tell him/her to stop/share/etc" but it's not working. There's not enough adults helping in the playground and the special Ed teacher just shrugs when I tell her.

Also the other kids of course are coming up to me and "reporting" how someone is not taking their turns/pushing/etc. so I'm not sure what to tell them.

Any thoughts?

In case it matters, DD2 is usually not involve.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

KpbS
11-03-2016, 10:11 PM
Have you approached the bike rider, gotten down to their level, and told them it's time to get off the bike? Sometimes kids respond better when you are closer than you would think you need to be. Help them dismount the bike, gently, obviously. For the kids being too aggressive, pushing, etc. is there a time-out option? I would ask if they can go sit in time-out for a couple of minutes or go speak to the teacher in charge. Is there a teacher monitoring recess or is it just volunteers?

hillview
11-03-2016, 10:23 PM
Well special ed kids are a huge range. Do you know what their dx is? I think if you've tried the typical efforts and the other teachers don't seem concerned I'd focus on other things you can be successful at. How do you know they are special needs kids?

niccig
11-03-2016, 10:24 PM
Are there any staff from the special education program out on the playground supervising? There should be as the staff will be familiar with the child rather than a volunteer the child doesn't know. I'm a SLP and at my school, the classroom aides for the special education classes are out supervising on the playground and they intervene, just as you do for any other child. They're the same aides as in the classroom, so the students are used to being redirected by them and they know what works with each child. We've gotten extra help from another classroom aide (the resource teacher's aide) during lunch and recess as have 2 new students that run off away from the group and we needed an extra adult to help supervise - the resource teacher had to change the aide's breaks, so she could go help on the playground.

georgiegirl
11-03-2016, 10:46 PM
Are there any of the special ed staff at recess? If not, I'd ask their teachers for input on the subject.

DS2 is in preschool at the public school that is a combo of typical kids and special ed kids. There's always a special ed teacher or aide on the playground during their recess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ckso
11-04-2016, 01:21 AM
Have you approached the bike rider, gotten down to their level, and told them it's time to get off the bike? Sometimes kids respond better when you are closer than you would think you need to be. Help them dismount the bike, gently, obviously. For the kids being too aggressive, pushing, etc. is there a time-out option? I would ask if they can go sit in time-out for a couple of minutes or go speak to the teacher in charge. Is there a teacher monitoring recess or is it just volunteers?

Yes. I got on 1 knee, looked him in the eye and said, "It's the next person's turn. You need to get off the bike and get back in line". He just said "NO" and tries to push through. So I would I kept him from moving forward, basically stopping the bike, and he just keeps pushing through. Just keeps saying NO NO NO. Same thing with the aggressive behavior. I don't know if there's a time out but I have said "you can't be on the slide/bike/etc if you're aggressive but all I get is a NO. Short of physically restraining the child (which of course I won't do), I can't seem to stop them.

I don't think there's technically a teacher in charge. The 3 TK teachers take turns monitoring the playground plus there's about 2-3 employed staff and not a lot of volunteers. Most of the time I'm the only one.

Well special ed kids are a huge range. Do you know what their dx is? I think if you've tried the typical efforts and the other teachers don't seem concerned I'd focus on other things you can be successful at. How do you know they are special needs kids?

I don't know what their dx level is. I was told they were special needs kids in the playground. I'm not sure how many there are in that class but I know there's at least 3 or 4.

Are there any staff from the special education program out on the playground supervising? There should be as the staff will be familiar with the child rather than a volunteer the child doesn't know. I'm a SLP and at my school, the classroom aides for the special education classes are out supervising on the playground and they intervene, just as you do for any other child. They're the same aides as in the classroom, so the students are used to being redirected by them and they know what works with each child. We've gotten extra help from another classroom aide (the resource teacher's aide) during lunch and recess as have 2 new students that run off away from the group and we needed an extra adult to help supervise - the resource teacher had to change the aide's breaks, so she could go help on the playground.

There is 1 special needs teacher (for the 3-4, maybe more special needs kids) but she's the one that just shrugged it off when I told her. Probably because she's used to it and already figures she can't manage all of them by herself. She's not the friendliest person either. I kind of got the "just deal with it, I can't help you" feeling. But I'm just a volunteer to help MY teacher, not somebody else in the playground. I just end up feeling the need to deal with it because it's affecting the kids in our class. And playground duty is a shared task from all the classrooms.

JustMe
11-04-2016, 10:37 AM
Y
There is 1 special needs teacher (for the 3-4, maybe more special needs kids) but she's the one that just shrugged it off when I told her. Probably because she's used to it and already figures she can't manage all of them by herself. She's not the friendliest person either. I kind of got the "just deal with it, I can't help you" feeling. But I'm just a volunteer to help MY teacher, not somebody else in the playground. I just end up feeling the need to deal with it because it's affecting the kids in our class. And playground duty is a shared task from all the classrooms.

This does sound like a difficult position to be in. You are trying to handle things fairly and respectfully, but have been given no guidance. I would ask the teacher who you are volunteering for what you should do. Although I understand it is not her class, she works at the school and should be able to find out if she does not know...also, as you said, it is effecting the kids in her class as well as you, her volunteer.

KpbS
11-04-2016, 10:53 AM
Yes. I got on 1 knee, looked him in the eye and said, "It's the next person's turn. You need to get off the bike and get back in line". He just said "NO" and tries to push through. So I would I kept him from moving forward, basically stopping the bike, and he just keeps pushing through. Just keeps saying NO NO NO. Same thing with the aggressive behavior. I don't know if there's a time out but I have said "you can't be on the slide/bike/etc if you're aggressive but all I get is a NO. Short of physically restraining the child (which of course I won't do), I can't seem to stop them.

I don't think there's technically a teacher in charge. The 3 TK teachers take turns monitoring the playground plus there's about 2-3 employed staff and not a lot of volunteers. Most of the time I'm the only one.

I don't know what their dx level is. I was told they were special needs kids in the playground. I'm not sure how many there are in that class but I know there's at least 3 or 4.

It sounds like you are doing everything right! I would ask to meet with the administration and clarify what you should do in those situations and if there is any discipline (time out) supposed to be happening on the playground. I think the teachers in charge need to take charge, but I am guessing this is off of the principal's radar, but she should establish/enforce some guidelines. You are awesome for volunteering!

mackmama
11-04-2016, 12:46 PM
I would talk to your teacher about it. Hopefully your teacher can work with the special ed teacher to have more helpers on the playground.

BunnyBee
11-04-2016, 01:54 PM
If the teachers won't provide more input, go to administration. They need to provide more supervision and training to volunteers. I'm guessing that probably violates some IEPs and basic district policy to have one lone, untrained volunteer supervising the kids.

hbridge
11-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Definitely don't push ANY of the kids too hard. You do not know their circumstances, disabilities, IEP's, 504's, ect. Take it up with the teacher and/or the administration. You should not be the one "policing" the playground, you shouldn't even be doling out "consequences". That's the role of the staff, not volunteers! You are trying to help and fill a gap, but your good intentions could backfire in ways you can't anticipate. Let the teacher/administration know and then step back and let them determine how to handle the situations...

khm
11-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Definitely don't push ANY of the kids too hard. You do not know their circumstances, disabilities, IEP's, 504's, ect. Take it up with the teacher and/or the administration. You should not be the one "policing" the playground, you shouldn't even be doling out "consequences". That's the role of the staff, not volunteers! You are trying to help and fill a gap, but your good intentions could backfire in ways you can't anticipate. Let the teacher/administration know and then step back and let them determine how to handle the situations...

I agree. I get your impulse, but imagine finding out a parent volunteer was disciplining your TK student? It can get touchy fast, some would be ok with it, but some will not. Especially where an IEP or 504 may be involved.

It really is the job of the staff and the staff alone, not the volunteers. Sharing among all TK students is hard, special needs or no.

What happens on days you are not there? Is a different volunteer there? Or does an additional staff member take your place? You are there once or twice a week, I wonder how they attempt to solve the sharing issue when you aren't there.

hillview
11-04-2016, 04:10 PM
agreeing that this is a situation you should walk way from and let a staff member deal with it. I wouldn't engage beyond some simple redirection with ANY kids who don't seem to be able to follow instructions. Sorry -- sounds like you have the best of intentions. This is a school problem to work on -- your best course is to raise it to staff (as you've done).