PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Gift Ideas 2016: Children Ages 10+

missym
11-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Let's share gift ideas! Please list ages and what you're planning to give. Links are always helpful, too!

khalloc
11-10-2016, 12:21 PM
DD just turned 11 and she is harder to buy for. She doesnt play with toys really anymore. She will give me ideas, but I often nix them because they are unrealistic, or I just know it wouldnt get much use. Recently she has asked for a HearthSong net swing. really? She doesnt swing outside ever on our current swingset. Plus we dont have any good trees to mount it on.

Here is my list for her (mostly made from me)

Silver Cat Earrrings (bought)
LLBean Techie Hoodie (bought)
LLBean Fleece Hoodie (bought)
LL Bean Fleece Lined Down Jacket (bought)
48 pack PrismaColor Pencils (bought)
Silver Hoop earrings (Bought)
Blue Topaz Stud Earrings (bought)
Craftastic Yarn Tree (bought)
Xbox game
Jigsaw puzzle
Polaroid Camera + Film
Ukelele Case
Stuffed Animals(she has hundreds, I hate to buy them but she really does love them!)
iTunes Gift Card
books
Coloring Books (like the cool adult ones)
Toms Wedges
Patriots Blanket(she asked for this, but she already has 2 fleece blankets that she bought from fabric at JoAnns so thinking I wont buy another)
Bulletin Board for room

She wants a phone (iphone of course) but I dont want to get a phone for her just yet, maybe next year?

mmsmom
11-10-2016, 12:38 PM
DS (10) wants a drone w/ video camera. I am hesitant because his friend got one last year and immediately got it stuck in a tree and could not get it out. So I'm not sure if he is getting one yet. Other things on his list:
- accessories for Sphero (ramps, etc). He got the Sphero last year and it has been fun.
- Science kits
- Snap Circuits Arcade or 3D
- Kindle Paperwhite
- Pokémon Sun & Moon 3DS games (preordered 11/18 release date)

hillview
11-10-2016, 01:18 PM
DS9 & DS11 need nothing I am considering
- trip somewhere (no idea where)
- tickets to see Celtics
- Signed something to hang in basement (celtics jersey etc)

Mommaof3
11-10-2016, 05:58 PM
DD just turned 11 and she is harder to buy for. She doesnt play with toys really anymore. She will give me ideas, but I often nix them because they are unrealistic, or I just know it wouldnt get much use. Recently she has asked for a HearthSong net swing. really? She doesnt swing outside ever on our current swingset. Plus we dont have any good trees to mount it on.

Here is my list for her (mostly made from me)

Silver Cat Earrrings (bought)
LLBean Techie Hoodie (bought)
LLBean Fleece Hoodie (bought)
LL Bean Fleece Lined Down Jacket (bought)
48 pack PrismaColor Pencils (bought)
Silver Hoop earrings (Bought)
Blue Topaz Stud Earrings (bought)
Craftastic Yarn Tree (bought)
Xbox game
Jigsaw puzzle
Polaroid Camera + Film
Ukelele Case
Stuffed Animals(she has hundreds, I hate to buy them but she really does love them!)
iTunes Gift Card
books
Coloring Books (like the cool adult ones)
Toms Wedges
Patriots Blanket(she asked for this, but she already has 2 fleece blankets that she bought from fabric at JoAnns so thinking I wont buy another)
Bulletin Board for room

She wants a phone (iphone of course) but I dont want to get a phone for her just yet, maybe next year?

Thanks so much for the Ukelele Case Idea!! My DD loves hers and keeps it in the original box, I am so excited to get her a case. I would have never thought to get her one!

gymnbomb
11-10-2016, 06:51 PM
I am thinking of getting my husband time on a 737 flight simulator for Christmas. He is not a kid, but I stole the idea from a coworker who did it recently for his 10 year old's birthday so I figured I would put it here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abh5e8
11-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Dd turns ten the week after Christmas, so I'm posting here for ideas for both. :) She needs nothing and is pretty much over toys. She loves making and sewing clothes for her AG doll. She asked for horseback riding lessons, which we may do. Also thinking:

Kindle paperwhite + books
Cute horse sheets from garnet hill
Earrings
Sleeping bag (she needs this)
Swim suit, goggles and fins
Monogramed vera bag for ballet

urquie
11-11-2016, 02:17 AM
Polaroid Camera + Film

What camera... Can you please share a link?

khalloc
11-11-2016, 10:52 AM
What camera... Can you please share a link?

https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Instax-Mini-Instant-Raspberry/dp/B00U2UZ40Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1478875524&sr=1-5&keywords=fujifilm+instax+mini

The camera price is OK but the film seems expensive. I havent jumped on it yet. Thinking maybe Amazon might have a deal as we get closer to Xmas?

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2016, 11:05 AM
We've been mostly focused on experience things for quite a while. But, big ticket electronics (Wii U, iPad Mini) and board games are our fall back. We have no ideas for our teen yet this year at all. If it weren't for ds2 and the big guy, SC, I would absolutely just do a trip or something vs tangible gifts.

urquie
11-11-2016, 02:23 PM
https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Instax-Mini-Instant-Raspberry/dp/B00U2UZ40Y/ref=sr_1_5?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1478875524&sr=1-5&keywords=fujifilm+instax+mini

The camera price is OK but the film seems expensive. I havent jumped on it yet. Thinking maybe Amazon might have a deal as we get closer to Xmas?

Thanks for the link! I might suggest that to the grandparents... but then the film needs will fall in my lap!

Mikey0709
11-11-2016, 03:31 PM
So far on the list -

Pokemon Sun & Moon 3DS Games (pre-ordered w/Amazon for 20% off)
Pokemon Z Ring set (works with Sun & Moon) - also pre-ordered
Mario Star Party rush 3ds
Yokai Watch 2

Bloxels - Build your own video game
Lego Beatles yellow submarine
Thinking Putty
Beats headphones
Yoshi stuffed animal
Pokemon stuffed animal

Possible - archery set

LOVE your camera idea - going to be watching for a deal on that one!

lizzywednesday
11-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Bloxels - Build your own video game

DD got a kick out of playing with this at the B&N Mini Maker Fair the 1st weekend of November.

I'd add it to her list if I (1) weren't trying to limit her overall screen time and (2) could trust her not to leave the pieces everywhere, though it might be a decent option for our eldest nephew. Hmmmmmm.

All the cousins on DH's side now fall into this group. In the past we've given:

* video games
* movies
* books
- last year, it was Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Cinder, and the graphic novel adaptation of The Lightning Thief
- have also given Island of the Blue Dolphins, Anne of Green Gables, The Ordinary Princess, Magic Marks the Spot
* makeup (eldest niece on DH's side asked for brow powder, for example)
* small bongos (putting DH on the fecal roster with his SIL)

For my BFF's DD (age 17), I've gotten manga, anime movies, and graphic novels.

pakin
11-14-2016, 10:20 AM
So far DD (11) is getting

Pokemon Sun & Moon for 3DS
a panda Bluetooth speaker http://www.oprah.com/gift/Oprahs-Favorite-Things-2016-Full-List-My-Audio-Pet-Bluetooth-Speakers?editors_pick_id=65969
a panda wall calendar

I plan to get DS (15) a Garmin watch for running.

Bloxels looks really interesting!

Pakin

mikala
11-15-2016, 11:24 AM
I'm getting this kit for my 10 yo niece. http://www.lusaorganics.com/DIY-Organic-Lip-Balm-Kit-p/diy-lip-balm.htm

urquie
11-15-2016, 03:43 PM
I'm getting this kit for my 10 yo niece. http://www.lusaorganics.com/DIY-Organic-Lip-Balm-Kit-p/diy-lip-balm.htm

That looks really cool! Are you familiar with the brand/website? Any idea how much the shipping costs?

I found the following one on Amazon and it is well rated and similarly priced...
https://www.amazon.com/DIY-Lip-Balm-Kit-Everything/dp/B00TGO0470/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1479238478&sr=1-2&keywords=Lip%2Bbalm%2Bkit&th=1

eta: if you add an item to your shopping cart it allows you to calculate the shipping costs...
Standard USPS shipping is about $10.50
Priority USPS shipping is about $11.75

mikala
11-16-2016, 01:12 AM
That looks really cool! Are you familiar with the brand/website? Any idea how much the shipping costs?

I found the following one on Amazon and it is well rated and similarly priced...
https://www.amazon.com/DIY-Lip-Balm-Kit-Everything/dp/B00TGO0470/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1479238478&sr=1-2&keywords=Lip%2Bbalm%2Bkit&th=1

eta: if you add an item to your shopping cart it allows you to calculate the shipping costs...
Standard USPS shipping is about $10.50
Priority USPS shipping is about $11.75
Yeah, I'm a longtime customer. I started using their baby products when my oldest was born and have liked everything else I've tried over the years.

Standard shipping is steep but they usually do some sort of black Friday type promo, either free shipping or extra product. It's a long shot but the new customer code on the owner's blog might also work. http://lusaorganics.typepad.com/clean/2016/01/lusa-organics.html

urquie
11-16-2016, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I'm a longtime customer. I started using their baby products when my oldest was born and have liked everything else I've tried over the years.

Standard shipping is steep but they usually do some sort of black Friday type promo, either free shipping or extra product. It's a long shot but the new customer code on the owner's blog might also work. http://lusaorganics.typepad.com/clean/2016/01/lusa-organics.html

Great, thanks for the info!

If I am able to get free shipping, I might order a few more things… What are your favorite items?

mikala
11-16-2016, 11:38 AM
Great, thanks for the info!

If I am able to get free shipping, I might order a few more things… What are your favorite items?
My favorites are probably the sugar scrubs, tinted lip balm and baby Booty Balm.

I like their vanilla almond and Salute to the Sun soaps but wouldn't recommend the Salute to the Sun soap for sensitive skin.

When I cloth diapered I also used the Baby Wipe Juice and I used the postpartum herbs after childbirth.

urquie
11-16-2016, 08:18 PM
My favorites are probably the sugar scrubs, tinted lip balm and baby Booty Balm.

I like their vanilla almond and Salute to the Sun soaps but wouldn't recommend the Salute to the Sun soap for sensitive skin.

When I cloth diapered I also used the Baby Wipe Juice and I used the postpartum herbs after childbirth.
Thanks!

mnosky1
11-18-2016, 09:31 AM
Instax camera is 59.99 at Joann fabrics and coupon this week is for 20% off entire purchase- sale and regular orice so 47.99. I haven't really been shopping for one but I did last year and I think 49 was the best price I got. I found film packs in bigger sets on Amazon to be best price- I bought a big set then gave over a few months - 2 in Easter basket, 1 for Valentine's Day, 2 at birthday, 1 as "reward" for being awesome kid, etc.

BeachBum
11-20-2016, 09:40 PM
The instax camera is fun, but we opted for the instax printer instead. It will print pictures from your iphone on the instax film. My friend with the camera really only uses it for parties, but we print pictures for the corkboard pretty regularly. Just something to think about. :)

khalloc
11-21-2016, 12:56 PM
The instax camera is fun, but we opted for the instax printer instead. It will print pictures from your iphone on the instax film. My friend with the camera really only uses it for parties, but we print pictures for the corkboard pretty regularly. Just something to think about. :)

Cool! I will think about that. DD doesnt have a phone, but she does have an iPod Touch...im assuming that would work the same?

KrisM
11-23-2016, 08:53 PM
DS1 is 12 and he's struggling for ideas of his own!

So far, he's going to get:
bag for under his bike seat
heated throw blanket
new kindle cover
desk chair
graphing calculator
Dominion game
Tracfone
Hyper Toss game
Pokemon 3ds game
3d pen
Scratch off map of US
funny t-shirts
Nerf bow

DD is 10. She is reading Harry Potter and has a bunch of things related to that on her list.

So far, she is getting:
Harry Potter books in a chest
Time Turner necklace
3d puzzle of Diagon Alley
calligraphy pens and book
a mermaid blanket that I've almost finished
Lego Enderman from Minecraft
Flat iron
bulletin board for her room
Monster High doll maybe
Make up mirror - she does not wear makeup, except lip gloss but loves the mirrors
dress up dresses
Nerf bow

edited to add some

Hippoharbor
12-10-2016, 06:27 PM
DS, almost 12:

iPhone 7 (first phone)
Jetson hoverboard
Electric ripstick
Pokémon 3DS game
Lego Technic Porsche
Lego architecture sets (White House, capitol building, NYC skyline)
Lego Big Bang theory
Lego Ideas Birds
Pokémon Sun and Moon Official Collectors Addition Guide
Sphero Sprk+
Prismacolor pencil set from Costco
Books
Yahtzee
Alarm clock/iPhone dock/speaker
Minecraft card game
Under Armour boxer shorts
Vineyard Vines 1/4" zip
Socks
Hyper Toss game

Edited: nes classic
Jetson jetkart

Twoboos
12-11-2016, 12:52 PM
DDs are 11 and 13. They are getting (from us or relatives):

Beats headphones
Vineyard Vines stuff (killing me... flannel pants for $65, really?!? But got them on black Friday. Still ridiculous IMO.)
Boogie Board Jot, even though it sounds like it won't last from Costco reviews.
Chik-fil-A tshirts
Athleta tops
Fitbits
LLbean duck boots (backordered til Jan 30)
Makeup/bath stuff
Books or B&N gift card

essnce629
12-11-2016, 02:07 PM
DS1 is 13.

All he has on his wish list are four PS4 video games and the new Pokemon 3DS game. So far, the only thing I've bought him is the Pokemon game. The grandparents bought him the PS4 games.

At his archery lesson yesterday his coach told me he was doing extremely well and that we should think about investing in his own bow. Sounded like a great idea to me so I think we're going to go with that idea. I just need his coach to tell me exactly what kind to buy because I have no idea!

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

fauve01
12-13-2016, 12:37 PM
13YODD asked for a speaker for her ipod so we got her the Bose one while it was on sale at costco.

Also on her list is: a Ripstick skateboard, delicate earrings, a GC to Michaels (she is ALL about crafting), chocolate, page a day calendar, wood carving stuff, board game of Life, Flower pressing kit, macrame beading book, deck of cards (she does magic tricks), fun socks with cute designs on them, and Guitar lessons. in case that list helps anyone.

she also wants a dog (not happening) and a phone (not happening for xmas but probably soon)