PDA

View Full Version : Walking on tiptoes?

Liziz
11-05-2016, 05:13 PM
My almost 16 month old has been walking well since she was 11 months. Recently (past few weeks) I've noticed that she's walking on her tip toes a lot. She still walks normally much of the time, but especially when she's barefoot she's been walking on her tiptoes. Does that just sound like normal exploring different ways to move?

At some point I remember coming across some screening question that had to do with walking on tiptoes, but I don't remember the context or anything else. I'm not really concerned, but it just seems a little odd.

lalasmama
11-05-2016, 06:12 PM
I believe it's typically a normal phase kids go through. If she's never walking flat-footed, or seems like it's painful to walk flat-footed, I'd look into it more. But it sounds like it's just an exploration thing. Perhaps the floor is too cold? If you touch her heels, does she seem like she's in pain?

Liziz
11-06-2016, 04:18 PM
I believe it's typically a normal phase kids go through. If she's never walking flat-footed, or seems like it's painful to walk flat-footed, I'd look into it more. But it sounds like it's just an exploration thing. Perhaps the floor is too cold? If you touch her heels, does she seem like she's in pain?

I actually wondered if it was a cold floor thing! She doesn't keep on socks well and it's getting cold here so maybe that is it, although it doesn't seem to bother her. No, her feet don't seem to be in any pain if I touch/squeeze them. Thanks!

lalasmama
11-06-2016, 07:46 PM
I totally HATE cold floors and walk on my heels on them, since the ball of my foot is more sensitive. But, in a 1yo, tip-toeing would likely be the way they would try to avoid it, in my mind (easier to tip-toe than heel walk for a toddler).

Liziz
11-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Yeah, I abhor cold floors too! Even in summer I wear socks because tile feels too cold to me! We're lucky in our current house at least because we have floor heating, and it's amazing how much nicer it makes it to walk on tiles! (Not that I really ever am without my slippers, but still)

rlu
11-07-2016, 04:56 PM
DS has foot issues so I over-react. Beyond just touching her feet, can you point and flex and rotate her foot easily - stretching the achilles. That would be my concern.

KpbS
11-07-2016, 11:55 PM
I would mention it to her pediatrician so she can check her out and make sure things are developing normally.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/toe-walking/basics/causes/con-20034585

mackmama
11-08-2016, 12:15 AM
I would also mention it to the pedi. It's likely exploratory, but some tiptoe-walking can be indicative of other issues as a PP mentioned.

american_mama
11-08-2016, 01:39 PM
My DD1 is now 14 years old and has always walked on her tiptoes a lot. Like you, I feel like I have vaguely read somewhere this can be a sign of something. My mom was always a tad worried about it. But it's not an issue. DD1 did it less and less over time, although still does a little. She was diagnosed with ADHD this summer, but it has been minor enough that to this day no teacher has ever mentioned it as a possibility. She is very healthy and there is nothing else about her that is atypical.

pinkmomagain
11-09-2016, 04:00 PM
I would mention to the ped. Could be nothing or could be something. My middle one walked on toes and that along with other concerns led to evaluations. She ended up with developmental delays, and eventually adhd and anxiety.

Liziz
11-10-2016, 04:43 PM
I will mention it at the next appointment. I'm feeling like it's probably cold floors, though! After Mimi made her comment, I started watching more closely -- I've only seen her do the toe walking when she's barefoot (no sock or slippers), and when she's walking on a floor w/o the floor heating on. Today, I watched her walk normally across the dining room, where the floor heat was on. She walked into the kitchen, where it's not on (and the floor feels way colder) -- and started walking on her tiptoes.

She doesn't like wearing socks but I just found a pair of slippers she seems to love wearing (thanks, Aldi!) so hopefully that will keep her feet comfy and warm!