PDA

View Full Version : Voting tomorrow and kids are home from school...

liz
11-07-2016, 08:39 PM
Dumb question. I am going to vote tomorrow morning because it fits best in my schedule. My kids are really into the election and the voting process. I wanted to take them with me, just so they can experience what voting is like. Are they able to get into the room where we vote? I don't want to take them into the booth (that's against the rules anyway, right?), but close enough that they can see what the process is like.

lizzywednesday
11-07-2016, 08:46 PM
I used to go into the booth with my father when I was a child, and I take DD into the voting booth with me. It's on the ACLU's list of voters' rights (https://www.aclu-nj.org/theissues/electionsvoting/know-your-voting-rights/) for my state that it's OK to bring your kids into the voting booth.

In fact, I'm waiting until she's home from school (she has an early dismissal tomorrow) to go vote.

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2016, 08:49 PM
I always take my kids (and went as a kid). Right into the booth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

123LuckyMom
11-07-2016, 08:51 PM
You are allowed to take kids under the age of 18 into the voting booth with you in every state in this country.

mikala
11-07-2016, 08:55 PM
I've taken my kids with me too. They love it because the poll workers always give them an "I voted" sticker at the end.

Cam&Clay
11-07-2016, 09:01 PM
I have always taken my kids. DS2 loves to get the sticker. I think it's good to show them how the process works. For tomorrow, we've already had a discussion about how there is likely going to be a long line, but that's okay. It's still important to take the time to vote.

Very excited because DS1 actually gets to vote for the first time tomorrow!

mom_hanna
11-07-2016, 09:06 PM
I'm taking my kids at 7am tomorrow. Depending on the line my dd may be very late for school!

KrisM
11-07-2016, 10:39 PM
My kids go. We don't have a booth, just a table with a 3-sided board for privacy. We look at it and I talk about the ballot a bit and then I fill it out. They help me turn it in.

In 2008, I was very prepared, as I had a 4 month old, 2 yo, and 4 yo. I had the double stroller, snacks, toys, etc. We were in and out in about 15 minutes! I don't remember 2012 in that detail, since they were older and easier. Never a super long line though.

carolinacool
11-07-2016, 10:42 PM
I usually have DS with me because I typically vote after I pick him up from aftercare. He gets the sticker and I let him push the green button to submit my ballot (not sure if that's legal, but no one's ever said anything to me). But I'm not taking him tomorrow. I'm going to go before work because I'm worried the lines could be really long after work. School is canceled, but aftercare will be open all day, so DH is going to drop him off in the morning like normal.

lisa928
11-08-2016, 08:50 AM
I just came back from voting and brought my two in the booth with me before bring them to school.

Mommy_Mea
11-08-2016, 09:03 AM
Kids have always gone into the booth with me...

liz
11-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Thanks all! I honestly didn't know you could have kids with you in the booth. In the past DH and I always split staying home with the kids while the other person went out to vote. We typically go in the evening after work. Since I'm usually working I never really saw/paid attention to kids there in the evening.

gymnbomb
11-08-2016, 10:17 AM
We don't have booths, just little standing desk type things with 3 sided screens around the top. I took DS with me (2.5, wore him in Tula) and have a couple of times in the past. Saw other parents with elementary school aged kids there. I read an article yesterday about voting with kids -- it indicated that at least one state (Connecticut? or Massachusetts maybe?) had an age cutoff of 15 for voting with parents, but most allowed it up to 17. It also said that some states have a limit of 1 or 2 kids in the voting booth. So generally it is ok, but is worth checking your local regulations. Not sure how strictly those rules are enforced.

BunnyBee
11-08-2016, 12:33 PM
They go in the booth with me! I took 4 last time. :)

DualvansMommy
11-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Last election, DS1 was 18 months who went into the booth with me. This election, DS1 went into booth with DH while DS2 went into booth with me. It was a fun family event before school this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk