PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a free database tool?

mackmama
11-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Can anyone recommend a free online database tool? I need to create a database for a customer. I'm on a Mac if it matters. Thanks.

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2016, 09:55 PM
I use Google Docs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mackmama
11-07-2016, 10:07 PM
I use Google Docs.

But Google Docs isn't really a database tool, is it?

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2016, 10:08 PM
Google sheets is a spreadsheet program. Is that what you're looking for?

sariana
11-07-2016, 11:01 PM
No, Google Sheets is a pale imitation of Excel, neither of which is a database.

I love Google Apps, including Sheets. I use it for Girl Scout data and other simple tasks. But it does not have power that Excel has. Most people don't need that kind of power, but those who do won't be satisfied with Sheets.

If you know how to write Scripts, you might be able to manipulate Sheets to work similar to a database. It really depends on what you need to do.

I don't know of any free database programs. The nature of a database is such that the work required to build it is not given away for free.

hillview
11-07-2016, 11:05 PM
Many folks I know like
https://www.postgresql.org/

rin
11-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Many folks I know like
https://www.postgresql.org/

:yeahthat:

If you want to interact with it not from the command-line, this works pretty well: https://www.pgadmin.org/

You would need to be comfortable with SQL.

Were you talking about the software or the hardware? Does your customer already have a server/cloud storage setup?

niccig
11-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Someone recommended airtable to me. I haven't looked at it yet. It will depend on what you need and how frustrated you get with a database that isn't fully functional like Filemaker Pro or Access.

mackmama
11-07-2016, 11:55 PM
Someone recommended airtable to me. I haven't looked at it yet. It will depend on what you need and how frustrated you get with a database that isn't fully functional like Filemaker Pro or Access.

Airtable looks like the closest fit so far. I just need a basic database where I can create a database of clients and all related communications. Any other ideas?

echoesofspring
11-08-2016, 12:52 AM
Airtable looks interesting. It sounds like you might also want to look at free or inexpensive hosted CRM products. Zapier did a review a couple years ago of some options. https://zapier.com/blog/best-free-crm/

Postgres isn't going to be hosted (although you can probably find someone who will provide you with a hosted version), you'll have to install it on a server, maintain it, etc. A lot of hosting companies will include a database with the price of the hosting a website these days, either Postgres or MySQL, etc. Then they will also have some sort of admin interface to interact with it.

niccig
11-08-2016, 01:40 AM
Airtable looks like the closest fit so far. I just need a basic database where I can create a database of clients and all related communications. Any other ideas?

Airtable has several templates, so there might be something there you can use as is, or tweak. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, so I don't know if you can customize their templates or not.

hillview
11-08-2016, 09:50 AM
So with this detail, Excel really might be what you need. Also consider Access (microsoft which you might already have if you have MS Office)

Also consider salesforce.com at $25 a month for 5 users

khalloc
11-08-2016, 10:26 AM
I'd use Access if you have access to it. Its not free though. Or what about MySQL. I think that might be free? Not sure though, but its a good database option. I worked with alot of databases for my past jobs so that is what I would recommend.

mackmama
11-08-2016, 01:32 PM
So with this detail, Excel really might be what you need. Also consider Access (microsoft which you might already have if you have MS Office)

Also consider salesforce.com at $25 a month for 5 users

I think you're right - I'll use Excel for now. Thanks all.