PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Familiar with South Korean Politics?

elbenn
11-08-2016, 10:51 AM
I've seen quite a few posts from the people I follow on Twitter about what's going on in South Korean politics right now, but I don't know the details and I haven't seen any links to articles explaining it. Can anyone give a summary of what's going on there?

gibas23
11-08-2016, 11:10 AM
It's insane. This is copied from someone post in reddit trying to summarize what happens.

"It's a bit insane. So I'll try going step-by-step from memory how this all turned about.

A young high school girl fails to get into a prestigious university.
The girl's mother uses her influence to pay the girl's way into prestigious university. They package it as the girl receiving a scholarship for her equestrian skills.
Girl doesn't do so well in school and later turns out she had a child during her high school years which was no-no for this school's policies.
Girl decides to take some time off but still demands her grades to be given to her as if she had completed her semester.
Professor says no. This incurs the wrath of the girl's mother who successfully convinces the professor to give her the grades.
This leads to a massive 80 day protest from students of that university for unfair treatment and etc.
This leads into investigation that eventually reveals the girl's mother had a personal relation with President Park.
Oh **** it's about to get real funky now.

The girl's mother turned out to be one of like 15 known children of a famous cult leader. Each children were known to have extreme assets from estimated 10s of millions to upwards of billions.

President Park had a scandal in the past (that many dismissed as they deemed highly improbable and a likely attack from opposing political parties) that said apparently she had a child with this cult leader while she was in her teens.

So how does this relate directly to the Korean people?

As investigations ensued it turned out that the President Park had been exchanging emails regarding her speeches and other national policies and events with the girl's mother. Even going as far as asking her for edits and such.

Journalists, during the investigation, received a tablet from President Park? Girls mother? side that for some reason contained all the exchange between them. This is thought to be an unfortunate mistake by them and a fortunate mistake for the Korean people to know the truth.

The investigative journalists are doing this via wikileak style and slowly releasing information. More and more information have been coming out each day.

Latest news is what you've guys read. It seems the relationship between President Park and the cult leader's daughter (girl's mother) have been more intimate and influential than people thought. Even going far as President Park, after a hard day, going to their residence to sleep over and discuss the problems and getting advice and what not. All national secrets out on the table for the cult family.

It's still a developing story. Koreans are wondering why the President haven't stepped down yet. It's either that or impeachment and jail for her.

It's a sad day when people are saying Korea's best presidents so far were either the dictators or the ones who just didn't do any crazy **** while in office.

All this because of one spoiled ass girl dealing with a broken education system in Korea."

ABO Mama
11-08-2016, 01:18 PM
It's insane. This is copied from someone post in reddit trying to summarize what happens.

"It's a bit insane. So I'll try going step-by-step from memory how this all turned about.

A young high school girl fails to get into a prestigious university.
The girl's mother uses her influence to pay the girl's way into prestigious university. They package it as the girl receiving a scholarship for her equestrian skills.
Girl doesn't do so well in school and later turns out she had a child during her high school years which was no-no for this school's policies.
Girl decides to take some time off but still demands her grades to be given to her as if she had completed her semester.
Professor says no. This incurs the wrath of the girl's mother who successfully convinces the professor to give her the grades.
This leads to a massive 80 day protest from students of that university for unfair treatment and etc.
This leads into investigation that eventually reveals the girl's mother had a personal relation with President Park.
Oh **** it's about to get real funky now.

The girl's mother turned out to be one of like 15 known children of a famous cult leader. Each children were known to have extreme assets from estimated 10s of millions to upwards of billions.

President Park had a scandal in the past (that many dismissed as they deemed highly improbable and a likely attack from opposing political parties) that said apparently she had a child with this cult leader while she was in her teens.

So how does this relate directly to the Korean people?

As investigations ensued it turned out that the President Park had been exchanging emails regarding her speeches and other national policies and events with the girl's mother. Even going as far as asking her for edits and such.

Journalists, during the investigation, received a tablet from President Park? Girls mother? side that for some reason contained all the exchange between them. This is thought to be an unfortunate mistake by them and a fortunate mistake for the Korean people to know the truth.

The investigative journalists are doing this via wikileak style and slowly releasing information. More and more information have been coming out each day.

Latest news is what you've guys read. It seems the relationship between President Park and the cult leader's daughter (girl's mother) have been more intimate and influential than people thought. Even going far as President Park, after a hard day, going to their residence to sleep over and discuss the problems and getting advice and what not. All national secrets out on the table for the cult family.

It's still a developing story. Koreans are wondering why the President haven't stepped down yet. It's either that or impeachment and jail for her.

It's a sad day when people are saying Korea's best presidents so far were either the dictators or the ones who just didn't do any crazy **** while in office.

All this because of one spoiled ass girl dealing with a broken education system in Korea."
That's some crazy stuff!

elbenn
11-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Oh, wow. That is like a soap opera. That is absolutely crazy. Interesting to see the wikileaks style and email element as part of their scandal.

marymoo86
11-08-2016, 02:15 PM
Oh, wow. That is like a soap opera. That is absolutely crazy. Interesting to see the wikileaks style and email element as part of their scandal.

I noted the similarities but yet starkly different outcome and concern from the citizenry :rolleyes:

bisous
11-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Wait, isn't there something implicating Samsung too? I just caught pieces of the developing story on NPR. The cult leader stuff is news to me.

Meatball Mommie
11-09-2016, 10:03 AM
Wait, isn't there something implicating Samsung too? I just caught pieces of the developing story on NPR. The cult leader stuff is news to me.

Samsung is accused of providing favors to the daughter of the woman confidant (the spoiled student). Something about funding her dressage training.

Here is info on the cult aspect:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/oct/30/south-korea-rasputin-like-friend-president-park-geun-hye-returns

elbenn
11-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Thanks for posting the article, Meatball Mommie. It's fascinating. Their president still has one more year to serve of her presidency. I think the opposition party is going to have lots of fuel to use in the election.