PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made stuffing in advance and reheated in crockpot?

elbert
11-08-2016, 11:40 AM
Starting to think about Thanksgiving and wondering what I can make a day or two ahead without running into problems.

Has anyone made stuffing in advance and then reheated it in a crockpot? Or sautéed vegetables and/or sausage the day before and then just assembled and cooked the next day?

robinsmommy
11-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Yes to the second (get the veg almost cooked, then reheat the next day before making stuffing - I'd cook the meat fully the first day, though - my recipe needs all the ingredients warm before going in the oven.)

I would be really reluctant to reheat in a crock pot, esp with meat in it. Stuffing's structure makes it problematic to me, in terms of bacteria growth, and I would be worried about it getting up to temp before it would turn to mush or dry out. I could probably see using it to keep it warm, but again, timing/ quality is hard to hit, esp with a method you may not have used for stuffing before.

chlobo
11-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Starting to think about Thanksgiving and wondering what I can make a day or two ahead without running into problems.

Has anyone made stuffing in advance and then reheated it in a crockpot? Or sautéed vegetables and/or sausage the day before and then just assembled and cooked the next day?

We have made brisket and reheated it. Only advice I have is to put warm water in the crockpot to warm the actual pot, otherwise it takes long time to heat up.

Liziz
11-08-2016, 03:06 PM
I've read several recipes for MAKING (not reheating) the stuffing in the crock pot. I have a mini oven right now so I'm considering trying it, but I haven't done it before. Here's an example of a recipe I found for it (I've not tried it yet) --http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-stuffing-in-a-slow-cooker-225708

boogiemom
11-08-2016, 03:23 PM
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/13571/slow-cooker-stuffing/

I make this one every year and it is delicious! Best I have had. Read the reviews. A few key tips: 1) crockpot liner, 2) add broth as needed only , 3) place a clean cotton towel between the crockpot and the lid to help absorb moisture and 4) mix the night before [read Sonni's review] for an easier Thanksgiving morning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmsmom
11-08-2016, 03:31 PM
It depends on the texture you are going for. If you reheat in crock pot it will be more mushy. My mom makes stuffing ahead and freezes it. We then set it out to get almost room temp & bake it in oven so it is crispy on top. Turns out great. She also makes ahead & freezes sweet potato casserole.

elbert
11-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Super helpful - thank you!

urquie
11-09-2016, 01:08 AM
It depends on the texture you are going for. If you reheat in crock pot it will be more mushy. My mom makes stuffing ahead and freezes it. We then set it out to get almost room temp & bake it in oven so it is crispy on top. Turns out great. She also makes ahead & freezes sweet potato casserole.

We love it oven baked, crispy on top (in a casserole dish - covered with foil at first, then remove to crisp at the end). No meat, so fine to mix up a few days before baking or freeze before use.

dylansnan
11-09-2016, 08:55 AM
We love it oven baked, crispy on top (in a casserole dish - covered with foil at first, then remove to crisp at the end). No meat, so fine to mix up a few days before baking or freeze before use.

This. I also cook the turkey in an electric roasting pan- faster and the oven is free for all the sides.