PDA

View Full Version : Please diagnose DD--stomach pains--ER?

infocrazy
11-09-2016, 04:35 PM
DD (6) said on Sunday that her belly hurt. I told her to go to the bathroom. She said she did but I wasn't concerned so didn't look.
She was fine the rest of the day and most of Monday. We left around 6:00 for a mom and me Date Night that she has been looking forward to for awhile! At a store, she had to take a break when walking about 100 yards because her belly hurt. We started walking again and at the restaurant she kept curling up and eventually at 7:30 ish she burst into tears and started crying about how much it hurt. She is not a complainer and I don't scare easy but I almost took her straight to the ER. I called the after hours, they said just to watch her and if it seems to get worse take her in. She threw up about 30 minutes later and seemed a bit better. Fell asleep shortly after.

Tuesday, woke up COMPLETELY fine. No school due to election day. Was completely fine until about 2 and then they started again--she threw up twice. I left work early and she looked very pale, listless, didn't talk much (very rare), and was in pain. I got her into the dr and they ruled out appendicitis (they think) and tried giving her zoloft while we waited in the office. She doesn't report nausea, it is mostly the pain that is bad but she did throw up twice so the dr though maybe the pain was really a 6 yo misunderstanding nausea. Did nothing to perk her up. Dr does NOT think it is constipation because it seems to be way more than the pain she would expect from that so she is still leaning towards nasty virus. The nurse thought she looked the sickest of all the kids they saw that day. Dr said to take her home, give her fluids, watch her. Call her if it gets worse. Went home, drank some Gatorade, fell asleep, slept fine.

Today: Woke up her normal bouncy sunshiny self. Everything was fine all day. Just got a call (3 EST) from my mom and DD is sobbing with pain again.

I have a call in to the doctor again but I haven't heard back. I am at my office, but I'm considering just heading home and taking her to the ER. Long story, but I don't trust urgent cares.

Any ideas??? DD doesn't seem to pinpoint one place as hurting, more overall, seems to be in waves. If I had to pick a place, I'd say right around her belly button but she is very vague. The strangest part is that it seems to start in the afternoon, get progressively worse until bed, and then be fine. No fever ever.

Thank you so much for reading! I am a mom of 4 and don't scare easy, but she looks awful and acts so sick when she is having these pains that it has me pretty nervous!

Simon
11-09-2016, 04:42 PM
I would take her in again. UC or ER. Personally, I would rather feel foolish taking my child in for what turns out to be gas pains, than to miss something big by waiting.

div_0305
11-09-2016, 04:49 PM
I say ER, too. That's too mysterious to not get checked out and double check the doctor didn't miss anything.

ETA: I meant doctor not urgent care. The urgent care near us has a lot of equipment to run tests/xrays.

jgenie
11-09-2016, 04:54 PM
I would take her to the ER. My appendicitis presented much the same way - I was fine early in the day but in pain afternoon onward. My primary care doc said it wasn't appendicitis but it turned out they were wrong. Fingers crossed it's nothing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains mobile app

mackmama
11-09-2016, 05:11 PM
At this point, I'd take her immediately to the ER. Hugs, Mama.

trcy
11-09-2016, 05:50 PM
I agree with PPs, take her to the ER. Sending P & PT your way!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ChicagoNDMom
11-09-2016, 08:25 PM
I think she was given Zofran (anti-emetic) !not Zoloft (antidepressant). Agree with ER. Best wishes!

pinkmomagain
11-10-2016, 10:04 PM
Infocrazy, how is your dd? Hope she is doing better.

infocrazy
11-10-2016, 10:34 PM
Thanks for asking! We didn't get home until late because the er was craaaazy. Ped was wrong. DD had serious constipation. I am actually surprised but glad it was just that! They gave her an enema and cleaned her out. Need to have her do Miralax but hopefully we can avoid this again!

keh602
11-10-2016, 11:33 PM
Thanks for asking! We didn't get home until late because the er was craaaazy. Ped was wrong. DD had serious constipation. I am actually surprised but glad it was just that! They gave her an enema and cleaned her out. Need to have her do Miralax but hopefully we can avoid this again!

I'm so glad she's feeling better. You must be hugely relieved! My DD needed Miralax for a while, and it helped so much.

jgenie
11-11-2016, 05:29 AM
Glad she's feeling better!

pinkmomagain
11-11-2016, 07:10 PM

My daughter has also been struggling with bad constipation on and off for a year now. It's amazing how sick they can get from it. Glad to hear your DD is feeling better. We are trying to keep up with Miralax too.