PDA

View Full Version : Best starter set of magformers and best place to buy?

ang79
11-10-2016, 10:34 AM
DD2 (almost 8) played with these at a children's science center last weekend and now they are on her wish list for her birthday or Christmas. Not sure if my older daughter (10) would also enjoy them, if I should get a larger set for them to share, or just get them from DD2. DD1 does love building legos and playing with her sister, but not sure if she would see these as too baby-ish.

I see Kohls has them and with the combined Veteran's day coupon and extra 30% off I can order them from there tomorrow. I know I've also seen them slightly discounted at Home Goods in the past, but usually just the small sets (30 piece maybe?). I can try to get over there to check today or tomorrow. Where is the best place to buy them on sale? And which set would be the best starter set (either to share with DD1, or just for DD2 if you think 10 yrs. old is too old for these)? Thanks!

vonfirmath
11-10-2016, 11:48 AM
DD2 (almost 8) played with these at a children's science center last weekend and now they are on her wish list for her birthday or Christmas. Not sure if my older daughter (10) would also enjoy them, if I should get a larger set for them to share, or just get them from DD2. DD1 does love building legos and playing with her sister, but not sure if she would see these as too baby-ish.

I see Kohls has them and with the combined Veteran's day coupon and extra 30% off I can order them from there tomorrow. I know I've also seen them slightly discounted at Home Goods in the past, but usually just the small sets (30 piece maybe?). I can try to get over there to check today or tomorrow. Where is the best place to buy them on sale? And which set would be the best starter set (either to share with DD1, or just for DD2 if you think 10 yrs. old is too old for these)? Thanks!

My son is 9 and plays with our Magnatiles and Magformers regularly still.
I can't help with specific sets as ours were bought by an aunt on QVC.

gymnbomb
11-10-2016, 12:02 PM
My son is 9 and plays with our Magnatiles and Magformers regularly still.
I can't help with specific sets as ours were bought by an aunt on QVC.

Which are better for a younger kid? DS (2.5) played with some magnatiles at the zoo play area this summer and liked them. I'd like to keep an eye out for some on sale, but I don't know which to look for. Wondering if I should have gotten the magformers set that was on sale recently and made vehicles since he loves all vehicles...

keh602
11-10-2016, 12:13 PM
My goodness, the world of Magformers has changed a lot since I last bought some. There are all kinds on Amazon--solid sets even. And sets with curves! I think the basic 62 piece set is a good place to start. I do wish we had a vehicle set though. That would get a lot of use.

FWIW, all of my kids enjoy these and Magnatiles. DD, 10, won't pull them out on her own, but she will play with them if one of her brothers has them out.

gymnbomb -- Magnatiles are wonderful for building houses/zoos--basically any structure that stays put. Magformers have stronger magnets, so you can easily pick up your creations and move them around. You can get wheels for both now, but if vehicles are a priority, I would go with Magformers. Having said that, both sets get a lot of love in my house, starting before age 2. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

gymnbomb
11-10-2016, 01:58 PM
gymnbomb -- Magnatiles are wonderful for building houses/zoos--basically any structure that stays put. Magformers have stronger magnets, so you can easily pick up your creations and move them around. You can get wheels for both now, but if vehicles are a priority, I would go with Magformers. Having said that, both sets get a lot of love in my house, starting before age 2. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Thanks!

vonfirmath
11-10-2016, 02:58 PM
Which are better for a younger kid? DS (2.5) played with some magnatiles at the zoo play area this summer and liked them. I'd like to keep an eye out for some on sale, but I don't know which to look for. Wondering if I should have gotten the magformers set that was on sale recently and made vehicles since he loves all vehicles...

My daughter played with magformers even as an infant (9 months or so) But I recommend Magnatiles if you want them to actually put them together and take them apart. The Magformers have strong magnetic forces and are difficult for a younger child to pull apart.

My son (at age 9) plays with both magnatiles and magformers. My daughter (now age 5) prefers Magnatiles. She makes houses to put plastic animals in and houses on cars (our only wheels are Magnatiles) to move animals around. Oh and apartment buildings to house animals too! (Don't ask me how that giraffe got on the third floor)

daphne
12-06-2016, 03:29 PM
Has anyone seen a deal on these? I'm so sad that I missed the Amazon DOTD.... my (almost) 12 year old son asked for them for Christmas! I feel like it's one of the last times he'll ask for something like this, so I want to indulge him. We have Magnatiles already, but he seems to prefer Magformers...