PDA

View Full Version : Disc-bound planner quality comparisons??

SASM
11-10-2016, 01:45 PM
I use the bullet journal method in a book-like bound journal. I love the flexibility of this method but get frustrated whenever I run out of space and I have to move onto a new journal, causing me to have to duplicate a lot of information (lists, resources, etc) into the new journal. I've tried photocopying pages slightly smaller and taping/gluing them into the new book BUT it just makes the book really thick. Soooo...I am toying with a medium-sized blank disc-bound planner so I can just take pages out that no longer apply and move pages to a new book, if necessary. The brands that I've discovered so far are:

- Me & My Big Ideas Happy Planner (Michaels)
- Martha Stewart blank notebook (Staples)
- Arc Planner by Staples
- Erin Condren

Has anyone actually seen and compared all of these? I am actually most concerned about paper quality and thickness followed by durability of cover. I've looked at the first 3 but actually forgot to check out the paper thickness. I am particular about the pens that I use (Sharpie PEN and Papermate InkJoy gels) and am afraid that a thinner paper wouldn't be durable enough for the discs over time and the writing would show through the other side with my pens. Has anyone actually compared these?

TIA!!!

mackmama
11-10-2016, 03:05 PM
I love Erin Condren. Great quality planners.

Zansu
11-10-2016, 07:18 PM
Levenger Circa
http://www.levenger.com/circa-notebooks-339.aspx

PZMommy
11-10-2016, 08:06 PM
Erin concern is not a disc bound planner though. It is spiral bound. You could buy one, unspiral it, cut off the edges and then punch it to be disc bound, but you will lose some of the inside edge of each page. I have done this in the past. The is a bit pricey though as you would have to buy the punch in addition to the planner.

Th paper on the Erin condren is getting thinnner. I've had awful experience with their customer service, and it wasn't until the better business bureau got involved that I actually got a refund for a planner I never received. Mine is not an unusual story. Check out her Facebook page before ordering. There have also been issues with blurry printing on the calendar pages. They are pretty, but I really think they are overpriced for the quality. I no longer use her planners, nor do I recommend her to friends.

If you want thicker paper, I'd look into limelife planners. You can order them unbound and unpunched, so you could punch the pages and put it in a disc bound system yourself. The paper is really nice and thick. Inkwell press (available at office max and online) has thicker paper. I don't like how their books are bound, so I stopped using mine. It's been a few years since I used plumpaper planners, but they also had really nice planners. They offer (or at least they did) an unbound, unpunched option, so you could punch it for a disc system.

SASM
11-10-2016, 11:44 PM
Erin concern is not a disc bound planner though. It is spiral bound. You could buy one, unspiral it, cut off the edges and then punch it to be disc bound, but you will lose some of the inside edge of each page. I have done this in the past. The is a bit pricey though as you would have to buy the punch in addition to the planner.

Th paper on the Erin condren is getting thinnner. I've had awful experience with their customer service, and it wasn't until the better business bureau got involved that I actually got a refund for a planner I never received. Mine is not an unusual story. Check out her Facebook page before ordering. There have also been issues with blurry printing on the calendar pages. They are pretty, but I really think they are overpriced for the quality. I no longer use her planners, nor do I recommend her to friends.

If you want thicker paper, I'd look into limelife planners. You can order them unbound and unpunched, so you could punch the pages and put it in a disc bound system yourself. The paper is really nice and thick. Inkwell press (available at office max and online) has thicker paper. I don't like how their books are bound, so I stopped using mine. It's been a few years since I used plumpaper planners, but they also had really nice planners. They offer (or at least they did) an unbound, unpunched option, so you could punch it for a disc system.
I bought a Happy Planner hole punch the other day. Not sure if the quality as it's still in the box but something to play with as I experiment.

I just discovered Plum Paper Designs on Etsy this afternoon. They are intriguing...still waiting on some answers. Will look into their unbound options...Thank you.

Erin Condren is at the bottom of my list for both price, size, and just not being as flexible as I'd like. Your situation is unfortunate! Wow.

Because of the hole punch and my pickiness, I am toying with the idea of making my own planner - I can pick paper weight, change the layout, tons of free printables out there, etc.

We shall see...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inmypjs
11-11-2016, 01:29 AM
I also used a blank bound book as a bullet journal, and I switched to a disc bound notebook about 6 months ago. I really like it! I did look at Staples Arc and Levenger, however due to convenience I went with Office Depot's TUL (Office Depot has a store near me). I have been very happy with it and have found no reason to look to the other brands. The discs are plastic but they are smooth, the paper is really nice IMO - thicker and less pen bleed through than the Moleskine I used to use. I bought some tabs and different kinds of paper - though I mostly prefer the graph paper.

I do not recommend the Happy Planner punch. I bought one at Hobby Lobby and first of all it is really heavy. I had to return it within a week because the punch-er parts got stuck in the pressed-down position, if that makes sense. I ended up ordering the Levenger punch from Amazon. It was less expensive, weighs much less and works great.

I actually use the poly cover for the notebook, because I like to carry mine everywhere and it is really light. It has held up beautifully - no marks or bends or anything and it's in and out of my bag every day. I have recently though of getting the leather cover even though it is a bit heavier (I think they are all that way). If size is a concern, I have noticed that the TUL covers are just slightly less wide (across) than the Staples ARC. This was a plus for me because then the same sized notebook takes up less space.

TUL system: http://www.officedepot.com/cm/brand/tul-notetaking?cm_sp=brand-_-tul-notetaking-_-tul

I do see that TUL has pens too but I know nothing about them.

SASM
11-12-2016, 05:43 PM
THANK YOU so much, everyone!! I checked out the Erin Condren's at Staples to see if it is worth ordering a custom one with more pages, etc. I sent a ton of questions to Plum Paper. I bought an Arc, a Tul, a Happy Planner, and a Recollections planner to really closely compare them at home at my leisure. I checked a boatload of YouTube videos. Hands down, the winner for me was the Happy Planner. Even though it was bigger than I wanted, it still fits in my handbags. It was so customizable in terms of layout...that was HUGE for me. Being a bullet journal junkie, I really wanted an Index and notes in the front before the calendar, as those pages will be checked daily for school lists, school calendars, activity cheat-sheets, book lists, etc. There are tons of additional extension packs, dividers, paper choices, cover selections, etc to customize. I am more of a layout and functionality person so it was important that I had a good layout for family use and writing space, as opposed to sticker placements, etc. I was soooo intrigued my the Plum Paper planner because of the customization with names, etc but in the end I really need the flexibility of the discs so I can change things out if needed...that was my issue with my bullet journal as I wanted the freedom to move pages when my journal ran out of space.

Anyway...I went to town this weekend at Michaels using my AC Moore 55% off coupon. I bought a ton of stuff so I can start transferring info over so I am ready at the end of December when I start using this planner. If I don't like it, I am out a fraction of the cost of the Erin Condren or even the Plum Planner. Thank you everyone for your feedback! I also bought an ARC hole punch on sale that seems to work well with the Happy Planner. I was able to punch out some plastic to use as a dashboard so carstock etc should be a breeze!

AnnieW625
11-12-2016, 07:06 PM
If anyone else is still looking I am happy with the Plum Paper planner I had last year.