PDA

View Full Version : Switch different schools

DualvansMommy
11-11-2016, 11:09 AM
DS1 is in Kindergarten grade at a private non secular school where he's been at since 3.5 years old with Pre-K class. Initially we put him there then cuz he didn't get in our public district highly hard get in Preschool by lottery. The other surrounding preK options were either full, too small or too religious for our liking. Also add to the fact our public district had a lot of problems with the admin, large enrollment (for early preschool/kindergarten years anyway) solidified our decision to enroll DS1 at a school 25 mins away.

Now couple of things changed; DS2 will be eligible to be applied for the public district preschool by lottery for next fall. DS1 is older now with more active activities, and our public district really changed for the better in the past 3 years. New Super and new principle at the school the boys are zoned to attend (PreK thru 3rd grade)

The driving time combined is starting to become a PiTA, but I put up with it only cuz I felt it really was a great fit for DS1's sensitive nature who needed a nurturing warm environment. We are seriously entertaining the thought of transferring DS1 to our local elementary school for 1st grade, as that is a easy transition since a lot of kids are still in private kindergarten schools but most if not all start to transfer by 1st grade.

How big is the social aspect for your kids? Cuz I'm thinking ahead when DS2 is older and starting to get more involved with activities and social life. The 19 miles one way to DS1 current private school will KIlL me. But at the same time the local school is still so darn BIG!!!! Right now they have NINE kindergarten classes with about 18-20 kids in each class.

So I want to hear from moms about the largeness of school/classroom and no worries or issues for your child to "fall through the cracks" in staying caught up cuz of large number kids.

Apologies for the novel [emoji18]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
11-11-2016, 11:14 AM
I really think the social aspect is huge, my kids are older, but they have developed friendships with kids at their school who also live in our neighborhood or very close by, after school playtime, birthday parties, some sports, those all happen with kids from the neighborhood school. It's also nice as parents to run into classmates and their parents at your local grocery store, I can't tell you how many times I've met and exchanged numbers with other parents who we ran into at the store (I work and don't do the school pick up and can't volunteer at the school).

Our local school is k-5 and has almost 600 students, but our princial knows all kids by name and recognizes parents as well (when I used to do car pick up they recognized by vehicle too).

Large school don't always mean poor quality.

keh602
11-11-2016, 11:39 AM
I really think the social aspect is huge, my kids are older, but they have developed friendships with kids at their school who also live in our neighborhood or very close by, after school playtime, birthday parties, some sports, those all happen with kids from the neighborhood school. It's also nice as parents to run into classmates and their parents at your local grocery store, I can't tell you how many times I've met and exchanged numbers with other parents who we ran into at the store (I work and don't do the school pick up and can't volunteer at the school).

Our local school is k-5 and has almost 600 students, but our princial knows all kids by name and recognizes parents as well (when I used to do car pick up they recognized by vehicle too).

We've had a similar experience at our elementary school. The principal, vice principal, secretaries, etc. all seem to know everyone. Class sizes are usually over 20, but the teachers truly seem to be aware of every kid's strengths and weaknesses. They work in small groups at times, and the kids also get one-on-one time with the teachers. Parent volunteers are very helpful, too. It amazes me how much can be accomplished in one school day.

Good luck with your decision. I know it's a tough one.

PZMommy
11-11-2016, 11:47 AM
We moved my order DS this past year as he was going into 2nd grade, and my youngest was starting Kinder. We couldn't be happier. We are at our zoned school now and he is meeting all sorts of friends from the neighborhood and is able to do activities with friends from school. The transition for him was easy. He was nervous before school started, but after the first day he was super happy and so glad we moved him.

niccig
11-11-2016, 12:10 PM
We moved my order DS this past year as he was going into 2nd grade, and my youngest was starting Kinder. We couldn't be happier. We are at our zoned school now and he is meeting all sorts of friends from the neighborhood and is able to do activities with friends from school. The transition for him was easy. He was nervous before school started, but after the first day he was super happy and so glad we moved him.

We moved DS to local school in 3rd grade. He was nervous, but on the first day he found out that 2 kids from past sporting teams were in his class. We've met so many more people in our neighborhood and DS's friends all live close by for easy play dates. I'm worried about him going to middle school next year as he'll have to walk home, to find that the policeman who lives 5 houses away organizes a meeting for all the kids that will be walking to the middle school to go over safety rules, they have to walk as a group, identifies the houses that are the safe houses etc. That kind of neighborhood togetherness we missed out on by not being at local school.

StantonHyde
11-11-2016, 12:33 PM
Both of my kids go to private schools that draw in kids from a larger area--but 19 miles!!!!!! That's a whole different animal. I think you might need to get more involved with DS1--e.g. talk to his teacher more, etc. but I think it would be doable. And transferring in K will be fine. My poor DS went to 3 different schools in 3 years for us to find the right one. And he is really anxious and hates change. And he was fine within the first year of the last school--where he has stayed for 7years. Try it--you could pull him out after a year if you had to. But I think it will be ok.

squimp
11-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Now would be a good time to switch. We moved from a small private preK to a very good public school and couldn't be happier.

anonomom
11-11-2016, 02:48 PM
My kids' school is very large -- we topped out at 1100 kids last year, but are back to 1000 this year. It can be difficult socially -- until my oldest was in 3rd grade, she never had more than one kid she knew in her classroom at the start of each year. Even now, in her fifth grade class, there are three kids with whom she was in kindergarten and literally never saw again at school until this year. It's disorienting, to say the least.

That said, being in a neighborhood school helps, especially if you live on a street with a lot of kids. It's nice when the all have a shared school experience.

Also, as your children move through a large school, it starts to feel smaller. You make friends through social activities or the PTA or volunteering. Your older kid will have friends with siblings in your younger kids' grade, which really helps. My third child entered kindergarten this year, and because of the web of connections we've made in the past 4 years, he knew fully 1/3 of his class before school even started.

And you can do things to help your kid along. After he makes a good friend or two, you can ask that they be placed together the next year, or even just ask that he be placed together with one or more classmates, for some year-to-year stability.

DualvansMommy
11-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Both of my kids go to private schools that draw in kids from a larger area--but 19 miles!!!!!! That's a whole different animal. I think you might need to get more involved with DS1--e.g. talk to his teacher more, etc. but I think it would be doable. And transferring in K will be fine. My poor DS went to 3 different schools in 3 years for us to find the right one. And he is really anxious and hates change. And he was fine within the first year of the last school--where he has stayed for 7years. Try it--you could pull him out after a year if you had to. But I think it will be ok.

I take it you don't live 19 miles from your kids school? [emoji2] yours sounds like not local local but not quite far. The other area private schools that's closer to my home (within 5 miles) are Catholic parochial schools, and that's something I've no interest for my boys.

I'm leaning for certain to transfer DS1 for next year. Really want to give my public school a chance! I guess I'll wing it as many other parents have done as well.

My kids' school is very large -- we topped out at 1100 kids last year, but are back to 1000 this year. It can be difficult socially -- until my oldest was in 3rd grade, she never had more than one kid she knew in her classroom at the start of each year. Even now, in her fifth grade class, there are three kids with whom she was in kindergarten and literally never saw again at school until this year. It's disorienting, to say the least.

That said, being in a neighborhood school helps, especially if you live on a street with a lot of kids. It's nice when the all have a shared school experience.

Also, as your children move through a large school, it starts to feel smaller. You make friends through social activities or the PTA or volunteering. Your older kid will have friends with siblings in your younger kids' grade, which really helps. My third child entered kindergarten this year, and because of the web of connections we've made in the past 4 years, he knew fully 1/3 of his class before school even started.

And you can do things to help your kid along. After he makes a good friend or two, you can ask that they be placed together the next year, or even just ask that he be placed together with one or more classmates, for some year-to-year stability.

Wow! That is quite large! 1000 for whole school district or just the elementary school itself? Mine tops out close 700 for a school from PreK to 3rd grade. I was told by other parents of the same issue you had; their kids literally didn't know other same grade aged kids who weren't in their classes for years until moved to 4th grade. Our 4/5th grades is at a different building half way across my town, and that is smaller. So that is very true what you say about as kids get older, the size start to get more manageable as they go through the grades.

DS1 already wrapped up his soccer season he played in town, made couple of friends off that. I was also recommended to sign him up for summer camp through our rec township runs for camps. It'll increase his chances of seeing familiar faces for next fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anonomom
11-13-2016, 05:34 PM
I take it you don't live 19 miles from your kids school? [emoji2] yours sounds like not local local but not quite far. The other area private schools that's closer to my home (within 5 miles) are Catholic parochial schools, and that's something I've no interest for my boys.

I'm leaning for certain to transfer DS1 for next year. Really want to give my public school a chance! I guess I'll wing it as many other parents have done as well.

Wow! That is quite large! 1000 for whole school district or just the elementary school itself? Mine tops out close 700 for a school from PreK to 3rd grade. I was told by other parents of the same issue you had; their kids literally didn't know other same grade aged kids who weren't in their classes for years until moved to 4th grade. Our 4/5th grades is at a different building half way across my town, and that is smaller. So that is very true what you say about as kids get older, the size start to get more manageable as they go through the grades.

DS1 already wrapped up his soccer season he played in town, made couple of friends off that. I was also recommended to sign him up for summer camp through our rec township runs for camps. It'll increase his chances of seeing familiar faces for next fall.

Just this one school. :-) Where we live, school systems are county-wide and the schools are very, very large. The high school my kids will likely attend has more students than my undergrad college did.

vonfirmath
11-14-2016, 03:01 PM

Social is pretty big. Our elementary school principal lives in a different city. Her oldest was in my son's 2nd grade class, but in third grade she transferred her daughter back to their "home" school -- felt like it was the right time to start making the friendships that would carry through to middle school. Even though it makes her life a bit more difficult not to be able to take both children to work with her (She could have kept her at the school through 5th grade)

StantonHyde
11-14-2016, 11:39 PM
We have lots of options within 5 miles. But both my kids have developed fun friendships between summer camps, sports, neighborhood, and school. It's nice.

KpbS
11-14-2016, 11:47 PM
19 miles or 19 minutes? I cannot imagine driving 19 miles to a school. Our commute has been up to 20 minutes before and less than 15 is more ideal IMO. I would try the public or local Catholic schools that are much closer. I like smaller school settings personally, I feel like my kids get better attention and when problems arise, they are easier to navigate. But there is a larger public elementary school here that everyone loves. With the larger schools, if they are well run by a caring administration, that makes all the difference.

DualvansMommy
11-14-2016, 11:56 PM
19 miles or 19 minutes? I cannot imagine driving 19 miles to a school. Our commute has been up to 20 minutes before and less than 15 is more ideal IMO. I would try the public or local Catholic schools that are much closer. I like smaller school settings personally, I feel like my kids get better attention and when problems arise, they are easier to navigate. But there is a larger public elementary school here that everyone loves. With the larger schools, if they are well run by a caring administration, that makes all the difference.

I just double checked the distance; Google listed it at 19 miles which makes it 20-25 mins of driving time with my route. I didn't mind , as DS1 wasn't in kindergarten then. I really wanted a non secular PreK private options, as the public elementary was only half day with kindy till last year.

I'm the same as you feel regarding smaller schools. It really had been a great environment for DS1 to enter and grow into elementary schooling. I never wanted to consider Catholic schools closer to my home, they're NOT small by any means. However, like I said in my original OP the local elementary school really had changed for the better in the past 2 years. New Super and new principle as well, I was involved with that school little bit two months ago over DS2 early intervention transfer to public services. That's what gotten me question it all now, as they were really good.

Philly Mom
11-15-2016, 08:03 AM
Around here lots of kids switch in 1st. We don't have all day kindy. Our zoned elementary is big and because they keep classroom size relatively small, you often have new kids every year. That said, I believe parents can make requests and no one I know complains about making new friends every year. I used to live next to two elementary school girls and they liked making different friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

teresah00
11-16-2016, 12:23 AM
Our school is about a mile away, so I can't imagine that kind of commute as a parent. Growing up I went to catholic school, then a private Catholic HS for 2yrs. One of the downsides when I got to HS was my friends living so far away. I might have been 20 min from school, but they could live further in the opposite direction. As they get older there might be more ppportunity for after school sports or activities. That could be tough to add into your day.

My kids school is K-6 with 4-5 classes in each grade. Initially it seemed like a really large school, but over time I realize how I see the same people around town and now I find it's a great community. The size of the school wouldn't bother me, but that is large first grade class!